AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-27-2020, 10:45 PM

Default Any McIntosh C1100 pre-amp owners with dCS DAC? input voltage?

So I have a C1100 on order, and due with in a week or so, and trying to figure out the input voltage I want to set up my dCS Rossini for via balance into the C1100...

My choices are 0.2v, 0.6v, 2.0v, and 6.0v.. based on some calculations someone did on another forum, and based on the specs on the C1100 where the maximum recommended balanced input voltage is 900mv, he came up with an ideal input voltage of under 200mv .. or 0.2v!!! Which surprised me as most pre-amp input is set to 2v as I recall.. Anyway, what matters more to me is the fidelity of the signal and so I'm curious if anyone here has any experience in this?

I know I can't break anything by trying out all the options but I'm genuinely curious if there is a better answer than "just try it".
Old 10-28-2020, 12:47 AM
Blown & Injected

Keep in mind that the output Voltage rating of a source is derived with a test tone recorded at the absolute maximum level the media can support. As music is dynamic in nature, these maximum levels can only be achieved via media which is incredibly dynamic - such as produced by the likes of Telarc and Sheffield Labs. Even then, the peaks will fall short of maximum to prevent clipping.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM992 View Post
So I have a C1100 on order, and due with in a week or so, and trying to figure out the input voltage I want to set up my dCS Rossini for via balance into the C1100...

My choices are 0.2v, 0.6v, 2.0v, and 6.0v.. based on some calculations someone did on another forum, and based on the specs on the C1100 where the maximum recommended balanced input voltage is 900mv, he came up with an ideal input voltage of under 200mv .. or 0.2v!!! Which surprised me as most pre-amp input is set to 2v as I recall.. Anyway, what matters more to me is the fidelity of the signal and so I'm curious if anyone here has any experience in this?

I know I can't break anything by trying out all the options but I'm genuinely curious if there is a better answer than "just try it".
SAM992, how will the MCD600 interface with the dCS? Also, congrats on the purchase.

Best

Charles
Old 10-28-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
SAM992, how will the MCD600 interface with the dCS? Also, congrats on the purchase.

Best

Charles
Ill find out when the MCD600 shows up.. right now I'm still using the dealers MCT500 loaner... But in either case, I will be using a SPDIF into the dCS for all but the SACD playback, which will come into the Pre-Amp via Balance. The dCS of course is also connected to the pre-amp via balance XLR.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:31 PM

I would be very surprised if .2v was the best option. I would bet that 2v is going to be your best bet with 6v a bit much and might limit adjustments on your volume control.

I have tried both with my D'Agostino pre-amp.

You can easily change the voltage with the Mosaic app. Just be careful to turn the volume on the pre-amp down so there are no surprises.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I would be very surprised if .2v was the best option. I would bet that 2v is going to be your best bet with 6v a bit much and might limit adjustments on your volume control.

I have tried both with my D'Agostino pre-amp.

You can easily change the voltage with the Mosaic app. Just be careful to turn the volume on the pre-amp down so there are no surprises.
Right, and I actually sent McIntosh an email asking the right setting to use and their advice was 2v as well... interestingly though, I learned that the balance output on my MCD600 is just over 4v.. so I wonder if I'll have to do some kind of trim so as not to have a significant difference in volume between both sources?

Anyway, another week or so and I should have the C1100 in hand and be able to hear it for myself.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:42 PM

Or... maybe we can just solve my entire problem and you and I can just trade systems??

I dare say you appear to have the absolute dream system of systems... only the best of everything... must be hard to go back to listening to mere sub $100,000 systems when you walk into an audio showroom or visit a friends house??
Old 10-28-2020, 04:48 PM

Not exactly a C1100 but used a setting of 2v when I had a C500T. I am still using the same 2v setting with my current Ref 6.

I suspect that with the 0.2v setting you will have to raise the volume of the C1100 to a very high level.

Remember to set the volume of the Rossini to 0db for optimal use.

Edward
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 10-28-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
Remember to set the volume of the Rossini to 0db for optimal use.

Edward
Yep, that much I know... The digital volume leaves bits behind otherwise, right?

Isn't there a "fixed" volume setting on the dCS too? or is it best to just rotate the knob to 0.0 and leave it be?
Old 10-28-2020, 04:53 PM

Pre-gain as the concept is called is a worthwhile parameter to experiment with. Most transistors do exhibit a range or a sweet spot of operation so the input signal that can be varied sometimes does pay off in better sonics in the grand scheme of things. I do it all the time with my headphone system since I have a DAC with a variable Voltage out for my tube headphone amp. It definitely pays off to adjust things where the pre-gain forces the amp (preamp in your case) work in the more linear, sweet spot zone.