AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Classical Music Discussion

Classical Music Discussion Across the Ages

Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Thumbs up Mahler - what are your favorites?

This thread is an experiment in having a thread dedicated to a composer. This one can be a place to collect useable Web resources about Gustav Mahler and offer personal suggestions about recordings and collections. There are plenty of Mahler resources on the Web and perhaps better to aggregate those links than attempt to replace what they do.

Anyway, kindly contribute suggestions, favorite recordings, and thoughts, or whatever Mahler related, as you please.

Suggested Recordings: There are as many interpretations as there are conductors and as many opinions as listeners. Pictures are clickable.

Redbook CD Mahler Collections, etc.

• EMI 3402382 - "If you want to know what Mahler's all about, conveniently and inexpensively, this is the set to have." under $30 here

• Sony 88697 453692 - classic performances

Vinyl Mahler Collections, etc.

• SFS Media/Michael Tilson Thomas Mahler Project - also on SACD commentary

Has anyone heard the Zinman cycle?

Individual works, etc.
  • Channel Classics SACD: Symphony 2, Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, top notch sound and performance
  • San Francisco Media SACD: Symphony 3, Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

• Channel Classics SACD: Symphony 4, Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra
  • DG CD: Symphony 6, Leonard Berstein and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

• LSO Live SACD: Symphony 8, Valery Gergiev and the London Symphony Orchestra
  • EMI CD: Symphony 9, Bruno Walter and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

• San Francisco Media SACD: Songs with Orchestra, Thomas Hampson (baritone), Susan Graham (mezzo-soprano), Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra - 5 star sonics & performance
  • EMI CD: Des Knaben Wunderhorn,Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (soprano), Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone) George Szell and the London Symphony Orchestra - "indispensable"

... more coming

Mahler Resources

MahlerReviews.com: Find reviews of Mahler recordings by work or conductor.

gustavmahlerboard.com: Discussion forum on the life and music of Gustav Mahler.

musicweb-international.com: Excellent collection of recording reviews for each Symphony and the Rückert Lieder, plus more.

Gustav Mahler: Encyclopedia Britannica.

Collection Noël-Vallerand: Les disques Gustav Mahler, a nice collection of listings at McGill's music library

"My Time is Yet to Come"
- The Symphonies of Gustav Mahler on Record

5/10/2021 NOTE: Many of the references in this thread originally had album cover pictures accompanying them. Many of those came from various sources on the Web which have now removed the picture or changed its location. I've tried maintaing these but it is an endless task. I downloaded many album cover pictures and put them in an AA album and displayed them from there, however available AA space ran out. Hopefully one can use an album's catalog number when present. I ask please for all future album references to include catalog numbers. Thank you.

Last edited by tima; 05-10-2021 at 04:01 AM. Reason: pls see above
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Has anyone heard the Zinman cycle?
I tried a few but never developed any taste for them. They were OK.

Quote:
Channel Classics SACD: Symphony 2 and 4, Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra, top notch sound and performances
His #2 is excellent and the #4 is very good but there will not be a full set from Fischer/BFO. I know there will not be a #8 but wonder about the rest. I'd like to hear them do one of the #10 reconstructions.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM

I don't have much to choose from but I do enjoy, Symphony No. 1 Eliahu Inbal and Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra on Denon

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM

I also started exploring Mahler with Eliahu Inbal... his reading of the 4th as well as Simon Rattle's take on the reconstruction of the 10th and Bruno Walter/Kathleen Ferrier great Songs of the Earth.

Thanks to Tim and Kal I now also have the Fischer 2,4,6, Tilson Thomas 1 and 5 and Bernstein's 5 and also picked up an Alan Gilbert's 9 on my own. Can only confirm everyone's suggestions above. Fantastic.

I am considering this...the Bruno Walter Sony Master Series set includes two versions of the Titan, one with the New York Phil and also the one with the Columbia... I like Bruno Walter with Bruckner and Mozart... any thoughts on his Mahler Symphonies?

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 05-09-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Mahler Symphony #6 and Symphony #8 are my favorites.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post
I also started exploring Mahler with Eliahu Inbal... his reading of the 4th as well as Simon Rattle's take on the reconstruction of the 10th and Bruno Walter/Kathleen Ferrier great Songs of the Earth.
I like Inbal............for a change. As for the #4 and Das Lied, I also like Szell. Also, interesting is the Das Lied with Herrwegh/HMU.

Quote:
Thanks to Tim and Kal I now also have the Fischer 2,4,6, Tilson Thomas 1 and 5 and Bernstein's 5 and also picked up an Alan Gilbert's 9 on my own. Can only confirm everyone's suggestions above. Fantastic.
For the 9th, I like Abbado, either on DG with the CSO or on the Accentus BluRay with the Lucerne FO.

Quote:
I am considering this...the Bruno Walter Sony Master Series set includes two versions of the Titan, one with the New York Phil and also the one with the Columbia... I like Bruno Walter with Bruckner and Mozart... any thoughts on his Mahler Symphonies?
Walter's 2 and 9 are outstanding.

Bernstein's original NYPO #2 on Columbia and his last #6 with the VPO on DG are super-heated and overwhelming.

It never stops.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I don't have much to choose from but I do enjoy, Symphony No. 1 Eliahu Inbal and Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra on Denon

There is a nice 15 disc Inbal set - think it is a reissue of the original Denon. I hear Inbal as romantic, lyrical, a relaxed pace.

Also - are there suggestions for Abbado at Lucerne on non-Blueray/DVD - is there a CD or SACD set??
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Also - are there suggestions for Abbado at Lucerne on non-Blueray/DVD - is there a CD or SACD set??
Dunno, off hand, but there are some. The BDs are just marvelous. There were some minor technical bumps but they don't, imho, make that much difference.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiot servant View Post

Graham
Bruno Rulz! I bought the 2-disc Sony set of the 1st & 2nd before the collection came out. I'd say go for it.

His 2nd is gripping, masterful - if the sonics could only match the Channel Classics, this would be my 2nd. I play this a couple times a yeard: a wee bit scratchy, but happily my phono has the Columbia equalization curve. Puts me on the edge of my seat.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM

cheers Tim and Kal - will definitely go for Walter... I was hoping it would get the thumbs up as he is a star in my small universe by any reckoning.

While I don't want to overstretch things thoughts on the 3rd and 8th... the audio guy in me says Decca and Solti for the Thousand but...

thanks again.

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 05-07-2012 at 11:57 PM.