AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Just curious, what is the rated sensitivity on your current speakers? Do you filter the lowest frequencies to aid the amp with the rest of the spectrum? I'm having high pass filters coming precisely to improve the amp's overall performance through the elimination of the lowest frequency burdens while those will be processed exclusively by my 160 watt SUB. Your PSE 45 SET would benefit tangibly with this approach, plus you have plenty of low-frequency support from those 800 watts SUBs.
I think the Simplexs are around 107db/w/m and the 19s are about 100 db/w/m.
I don't have any filters on them other than the stock tar potted IPC crossovers.
I really need to listen to them without the subs. ...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
I've heard Greg production speakers when I was building my current system. Wonderful speakers but would not have worked well in my smallish room. Also he strongly suggest long wall placement for the Vittoras to excel which is a no go in my room.

Since getting sucked into the 45's I've thought about hunting down a pair of LaScalla to upgrade with his horns but never did.

Since then he has released a new speaker using the same drivers from the Vittora set up in a speaker along the lines of the Cornwall. He has a demo program and I have been talking to some else local who is also interested in sharing the shipping cost to try them at home. Specs should play nicely even with a 45 SET.

Check out the Volti Rival on their web sight.
Yes, a 45 should be a good match with them. Especially, the 45 PSE. My Inspire is built on the same chassis with the same transformers as your 45 and is triode wired. The 6V6 worked well with the Volti modified Belle Klipsch.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
I think the Simplexs are around 107db/w/m and the 19s are about 100 db/w/m.
I don't have any filters on them other than the stock tar potted IPC crossovers.
I really need to listen to them without the subs. ...
Excellent sensitivity ratings, especially the Simplex's. If you can somehow divert the low frequencies from getting to the amp (not just reinforce them with the SUBs), there's a nice untapped potential with the PSE 45 you may not be profiting from, in my view. If, on the other hand, your tar potted IPC (whatever that is) does that already, ignore this comment.

Now, I've decided to stay clear from the PSE 45 SET, as tempting as it may be, because my current setup is sooo nice I really don't think it can get that much better and the flexibility of my amp to take a range of different output tubes is enough to keep me excited.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 04-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
FWIW, I have settled on the Psvane CV-181 TII (gray coat, bronze base), as once settled it is the most revealing without becoming edgy at all, showing great composure and triggering the best from the KT-77, KT-66 and 6P3S-E output tubes in my rig, with the S.E. 274B mesh plate rectifier. The described choice is competitively rivaled by the Super-Radiotron 6SN7 GTA, and to a lesser extent, the Shuguang CV-181 T (black coat, white base). All these are great input tubes, but to me, the Psvane prevails. It takes a while to settle in, so it requires patience out of the box.
Thanks MA, I will srat here with your recommendations and see what further bliss i can find.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post FWIW, I have settled on the Psvane CV-181 TII (gray coat, bronze base), as once settled it is the most revealing without becoming edgy at all, showing great composure and triggering the best from the KT-77, KT-66 and 6P3S-E output tubes in my rig, with the S.E. 274B mesh plate rectifier. The described choice is competitively rivaled by the Super-Radiotron 6SN7 GTA, and to a lesser extent, the Shuguang CV-181 T (black coat, white base). All these are great input tubes, but to me, the Psvane prevails. It takes a while to settle in, so it requires patience out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Thanks MA, I will srat here with your recommendations and see what further bliss i can find.
I have the Treasure CV-181 Z&T's, Psvane UK 6SN7, Psvane CV-181 TII (gray coat, bronze base) and the Shuguang WE6SN7. Though WE never made a 6SN7. I accumulated these after I got my Inspire amp. All were purchased from reputable sellers on the auction site. No issues with any of them. Some of them take a LONG time to settle in. So patience is required.

Over the years I've had all the trumpeted 6SN7's and, IMHO, these better or rival them. TS round plates are $450 a pair so these are not unreasonably priced. IMHO, if you are starting a collection of 6SN7's these are the way to go.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:43 PM

I'm pretty satisfied with my favorite vintage 6SN7 tubes. But if I were to try just one of these fancy, smancy Chinese 6SN7 equivalents, which would be "the one?" MA has nominated the Psvane CV-181 TII. Those can be had for reasonable dollars. I must admit that I am a bit reluctant to throw money at one of them without having much confidence that they will be better than my current 6SN7s.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I'm pretty satisfied with my favorite vintage 6SN7 tubes. But if I were to try just one of these fancy, smancy Chinese 6SN7 equivalents, which would be "the one?" MA has nominated the Psvane CV-181 TII. Those can be had for reasonable dollars. I must admit that I am a bit reluctant to throw money at one of them without having much confidence that they will be better than my current 6SN7s.
Unfortunately, these variables are quite system-dependent, so there are no guarantees someone else's choices will also meet your system's needs and your tastes. Having said that, I know I have tried a good number of NOS 6SN7's, and other than the rare Super-Radiotron 6SN7 GTA, which comes quite close, I prefer the CV-181's over all of these, especially the T-II.

If you have already tried the likes of the Sylvania chrome dome 6SN7 GT or GTB, or the RCA 6SN7 GT, and you still feel there may be something better, I would suggest trying the Psvane T-II and give it enough burn-in time. I felt confident by its build quality and my only concern was it sounded somewhat edgy before settling-in. Now, it is my favorite.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 04-15-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:12 AM

Bombadil,

The Psvane T-II, Shuguang CV-118-T or Shuguang WE 6SN7 would be a good pick. As MA said, it's system dependent. I was skeptical but not anymore. The real issue is the lack of information on these tubes. I got a 'used' pair of the Psvane T-II's from someone that bought an octet for a Cary SLP 05. He bailed on them before they were settled in. Oh well. It and the WE 6SN7 were very edgy until they had quite a few hours.

What is your 'go to' 6SN7 in your rig?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:59 AM

I've written on this before. I've tried about 15 different 6SN7s in my rig, including multiple Sylvania, GE, Ken-Rad, Tung-sol, RCA, Hytron, Raytheon, & a couple more I'm not recalling right now. My favorite is the Westinghouse Tall, Black Plate, Copper rod 6SN7GTB manufactured in the late 50s and early 60s. It sounds so clean and open. I have four of them and they all sound the same. The Sylvanias sound good, as do some of the others, but every time I pop one of the Westinghouse back in, there is this immediate sense of everything clicking into place, of vocals sounding so natural, of the speakers disappearing and the music being in the room with me.

Thus I am reluctant to spend $75 or so, which is more than I paid for all 4 of my Westinghouse, for a tube to test against them.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I've written on this before. I've tried about 15 different 6SN7s in my rig, including multiple Sylvania, GE, Ken-Rad, Tung-sol, RCA, Hytron, Raytheon, & a couple more I'm not recalling right now. My favorite is the Westinghouse Tall, Black Plate, Copper rod 6SN7GTB manufactured in the late 50s and early 60s. It sounds so clean and open. I have four of them and they all sound the same. The Sylvanias sound good, as do some of the others, but every time I pop one of the Westinghouse back in, there is this immediate sense of everything clicking into place, of vocals sounding so natural, of the speakers disappearing and the music being in the room with me.

Thus I am reluctant to spend $75 or so, which is more than I paid for all 4 of my Westinghouse, for a tube to test against them.
Maybe you have found your holy grail? There isn't anything in tube preference that is chiseled in stone.