PDA

View Full Version : MSB Technology

bart
03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.msbtech.com/products/SignatureDAC4system-white.jpg

The Platinum DAC with Universal Media Transport got 100% in "Stereo", a decent German hi-fi magazine.
Does anybody have experience with it?
The Platinum DAC is not even their highest rated DAC. You can upgrade in 2 steps.
Their top DAC, the Diamond DAC gets the absolute highest praise:

“ All I can say is that Harry Connick Jr.‘s ‘A Nightingale Sang in Barclay Square‘ was absolutely transfixing through this system -- and perhaps the best digital reproduction of music I have heard. It was clearly on the same level as the previous champ, the benchmark four-box dCS Paganini stack.”
Paul Bolin - The Audio Beat, Feb 2012

Elberoth
03-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Martin Colloms in the last issue of HiFi Critic is also raving about it.

A friend of mine, is testing various DACs as I write this (his system is Focal Grand Utopia EM, Burmester 077+PSU, 2x 911 monos).

He already tried latest EMM stuff, Audio Aero stuff, Jadis stuff, MSB Platinium and now has Platinium DAC with the $10.000 Femto Clock option installed at home - basicly, the most expensive DAC you can get from MBS.

I will keep you posted as I'm also interested in his conclusions.

bart
03-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Martin Colloms in the last issue of HiFi Critic is also raving about it.

A friend of mine, is testing various DACs as I write this (his system is Focal Grand Utopia EM, Burmester 077+PSU, 2x 911 monos).

He already tried latest EMM stuff, Audio Aero stuff, Jadis stuff, MSB Platinium and now has Platinium DAC with the $10.000 Femto Clock option installed at home - basicly, the most expensive DAC you can get from MBS.

I will keep you posted as I'm also interested in his conclusions.

Thank you! :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward.
By the way the Platinum is only the third in hierarchy.
First comes Diamond, then Signature, then Platinum.

Elberoth
03-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I meant the Diamond. Sorry for the typo.

bart
03-11-2012, 03:16 PM
I meant the Diamond. Sorry for the typo.

OK!
Your friend has quite a system... wow!

Still-One
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I have heard very good things about their products and saw them at RMAF. I am a bit concerned about the industrial design of the product. It may be built like a tank and well designed but it doesn't work for me.

Jim

metaphacts
03-11-2012, 05:53 PM
“ All I can say is that Harry Connick Jr.‘s ‘A Nightingale Sang in Barclay Square‘ was absolutely transfixing through this system -- and perhaps the best digital reproduction of music I have heard. It was clearly on the same level as the previous champ, the benchmark four-box dCS Paganini stack.”
Paul Bolin - The Audio Beat, Feb 2012

Have heard nothing but stellar reports, but where is Barclay Square? :dunno:

Amfibius
03-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I have heard they have difficulty making a profit because they can't stop doing R&D. In short they are an engineering driven company, not a marketing driven one.

metaphacts
03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I have heard they have difficulty making a profit because they can't stop doing R&D. In short they are an engineering driven company, not a marketing driven one.

Explains why most of the feedback I am hearing is coming from serious recording engineer types. :yes:

Amfibius
03-11-2012, 09:28 PM
To be honest I wasn't all that impressed with the MSB I looked at ... I mean, it looks more like a rack mount computer than audio equipment. Then I took a look inside, and learnt a bit more about the tech, and then I heard it. That was proof enough ... MSB deserves a place next to Wadia, DCS, EMM, and Playback. A company driven by nerds is a good thing :)

bart
03-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Targa02
03-15-2012, 01:10 AM
I just purchased a MSB Platinum DAC lll (trade in) from MSB directly. I am having the volume control (passive attenuators) installed by them. It has the same DACs as the IV, but only a 16x filter versus 32x. Also more industrial looking. Should have it up and running in a week or so.

Apexorca
12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I have carefully tried and tested a lot of DAC and CD's lately. Both in my home in my own system so I can here every difference but also in stores and on other demos.
Read more and see some pics. http://www.audioaficionado.org/mbl-dcs-goldmund-etc/6647-aesthetix-romulus-tube-cd-player-dac-3.html

MSB builds everything in house. DAC's and filters. Therefore they have 100% control of everything.

I must say MSB is VERY god. My favorite. The New The Analog DAC can win against almost every other CD's and this is the entry level. Platinum IV plus via Signature to Diamond and also with Galaxy Clock available it still gets better and better in small steps. But the big quality step is to even enter the sound of MSB's new DAC's and Drive's.
MSB DAC is a extremely flexible digital piece. It can handle HD signals from for example a computer as no one else (USB2 Signature 384 kHz Input).
I'v never heard less ore even so nearly nothing of the bad characteristics as CD (the digital media) always struggles with. In that meaning it sounds more like a analog source, but with the best characteristics of the sounds from the digital media even better.
It sounds open, never harsh, detailed, deep, dynamic with timing and control and natural. The scene is big with good 3d picture. I have never heard something like it.

I'v just ordered one. :yahoo:
It will arrive in a week. :wefly:
Just before Santa Clause. :smoking:
You think I'll wait until Christmas to open it? :nono: :no: :D

MyPal
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I have carefully tried and tested a lot of DAC and CD's lately. Both in my home in my own system so I can here every difference but also in stores and on other demos.
Read more and see some pics. http://www.audioaficionado.org/mbl-dcs-goldmund-etc/6647-aesthetix-romulus-tube-cd-player-dac-3.html

MSB builds everything in house. DAC's and filters. Therefore they have 100% control of everything.

I must say MSB is VERY god. My favorite. The New The Analog DAC can win against almost every other CD's and this is the entry level. Platinum IV plus via Signature to Diamond and also with Galaxy Clock available it still gets better and better in small steps. But the big quality step is to even enter the sound of MSB's new DAC's and Drive's.
MSB DAC is a extremely flexible digital piece. It can handle HD signals from for example a computer as no one else (USB2 Signature 384 kHz Input).
I'v never heard less ore even so nearly nothing of the bad characteristics as CD (the digital media) always struggles with. In that meaning it sounds more like a analog source, but with the best characteristics of the sounds from the digital media even better.
It sounds open, never harsh, detailed, deep, dynamic with timing and control and natural. The scene is big with good 3d picture. I have never heard something like it.

I'v just ordered one. :yahoo:
It will arrive in a week. :wefly:
Just before Santa Clause. :smoking:
You think I'll wait Christmas to open it? :nono: :no: :D

Apex orca... Congrats! Please do tell us when it lands. Would love to hear more about your 1st class setup. :D

Best

Mike1998
12-12-2012, 01:36 AM
MSB makes a fine product, the galaxy clock is incredible, sounds like a veil has been lifted off of your music. Make sure you demo with and without the clock to get the full experience...

bzr
12-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Congrats on the MSB, I like mine :thumbsup:

jazzhead
12-12-2012, 03:01 AM
I have heard very good things about their products and saw them at RMAF. I am a bit concerned about the industrial design of the product. It may be built like a tank and well designed but it doesn't work for me.

Jim

+1

Apexorca
12-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Apex orca... Congrats! Please do tell us when it lands. Would love to hear more about your 1st class setup. :D

Best

Thanks MyPal!
I should be her now. You know, wating for somthing... :rep: Looked forward to listen to it this weekend. But it´s probably on its way over the Atlantic with FedEx and probably here early in the next week I hope. I tell you more after some hours listening. :music:

hifinutt
07-04-2013, 06:03 AM
I have used a msb data iv for a while now, its a superb transport and certainly better than my last transport which was excellent
I hope to try some more msb stuff soon

Apexorca
07-04-2013, 04:01 PM
I have used a msb data iv for a while now, its a superb transport and certainly better than my last transport which was excellent
I hope to try some more msb stuff soon

Congrats!
What dac do you use it with?

The real magic will appear when you use it with MSB dac. The dac is the jewel. Together, they kill most likely everything you try it against.

Raindog031
07-05-2013, 08:36 AM
i listened MSB signature dac with galaxy clock...only dac i can say that sounds near analog sound...when i read about berkley alpha 2 beeing on par with 3 times expensiver dacs i just hear msb and have good laugh....this thing is sublime...no comparision with other dacs...well maybe diamond version(i heard diamonds on show but not at good enviroment so i cant comment) no dac i heard has so little of digital grain and only that sounds analog but also dynamic rich...only dac i would buy in future...of course it cant match good turntable but its close and more comfort...my regards....

Still-One
07-05-2013, 09:03 AM
i listened MSB signature dac with galaxy clock...only dac i can say that sounds near nalog sound...when i read about berkley alpha 2 beeing on par with 3 times expensiver dacs i just hear msb and have good laugh....this thing is sublime...no comparision with other dacs...well maybe diamond version(i heard diamonds on show but not at good enviroment so i cant comment) no dac i heard has so little of digital grain and only that sounds analog but also dynamic rich...only dac i would buy in future...afcorse it cant match good turntable but its close and more comfort...my regards....
I believe you are overstating the differences between DAC's when you indicate "no comparison" with MSB line and other DAC's. I had the Analog DAC in my system for a couple of weeks and found it virtually indistinguishable from those in my 808v3, with each having strengths and weaknesses. The dealer wanted me to try the his Signature with Femto clock and Diamond Power Base in my set-up but after comparing this to the Analog DAC in his store I could see where the personal preferences would come into play. The Analog being smoother while the upgraded model was more detailed and closer to Meridian. Just flipping cables back an forth makes these comparisons very difficult. The best way to identify the small differences in most quality DAC's is to connect them both to a quality pre-amp using the same cabling and source. Then switch inputs back and forth so you here the same passages within seconds of each other.

Elberoth
07-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Jim,

I highly recommend you borrow the DAC IV Signature or Diamond when you have a chance.

I belive that when you sit comfortably in your own chair, you will see (hear) what the fuss is all about. Those DACs are simply outstanding, this is by far the best digital I have ever heard.

And as for the AnalogDAC - there is simply no comparison.

junker
07-05-2013, 06:30 PM

To the MSB DAC IV, or the Meridian? Or just to anything other than MSB? :scratch2:

Raindog031
07-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Jim you cant even compare MSB analog DAC with Signature or diamond...they are better by wide margin...its not even in tastes...all i said that listening MSB signature with galaxy clock and diamond power base is most analog sounding dac i ever heard...i guess i didnt heard as much expensive dacs as i want to hear but this is just another league...far from hi-fi sound...

Apexorca
07-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Jim you cant even compare MSB analog DAC with Signature or diamond...they are better by wide margin...its not even in tastes...all i said that listening MSB signature with galaxy clock and diamond power base is most analog sounding dac i ever heard...i guess i didnt heard as much expensive dacs as i want to hear but this is just another league...far from hi-fi sound...

I think a lot of true things about MSB are already said.
In my opinion, the Analog DAC is very good. In fact it's a true killer and perhaps affordable. But the upgraded line is stepping up the sound even more. I have done that test myself, at home, in my system, with other contenders and the result was clear. MSB does it better than anything I have ever heard. The big step that made my system sound better was to enter the MSB family. When you are there it's getting better and better when you climb up the upgrade line.
My opinion is that using the platinum line series is worth it.

Elberoth
07-05-2013, 08:19 PM
To the MSB DAC IV, or the Meridian? Or just to anything other than MSB? :scratch2:

What I meant is that there is no comparision between the AnalogDAC and DAC IV Signature/Diamond. The later is much better.

junker
07-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure how much better the DACIV was vs the AnalogDAC.

Do you guys think the gap would close much with the optional power supply since that would be more apples to apples. Your comparison is with the DACIV is with upgraded power supplies.

Still-One
07-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Jim,

I highly recommend you borrow the DAC IV Signature or Diamond when you have a chance.

I belive that when you sit comfortably in your own chair, you will see (hear) what the fuss is all about. Those DACs are simply outstanding, this is by far the best digital I have ever heard.

Please understand, when I was returning the Analog DAC I ended up comparing the Analog DAC to the Signature Dac/Diamond Power supply (with and without the Galaxy clock). Here are my comments I posted earlier.

When returning the Analog DAC earlier this morning Jeff at David Michael Audio suggested I stay a few minutes and listen to the Signature DAC/Diamond Power Supply combo with and without the Galaxy clock. After listening to several tracks with and with the clock in the loop, he then connected the Analog DAC to the Diamond Power supply as another option to consider.

I could definitely here a difference with and without the clock in the loop. My preference was with the Galaxy clock but I could understand where a few individuals might prefer the less defined sound without the upgraded clock.

It was hard to compare the sound of the Analog DAC now connected to the Diamond Power Supply to what I heard in my very different set-up. My best guess is that here was an improvement.

None of the options warranted further comparison to the Meridian especially since I have not upgraded it to v5 for the newer DAC and linear power supply.

hifinutt
07-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Congrats!
What dac do you use it with?

The real magic will appear when you use it with MSB dac. The dac is the jewel. Together, they kill most likely everything you try it against.

I use it with a bel canto 3.5 vbs , having tried lots of others I really like this for its sound , incredible ease of use and rock solid build quality

Elberoth
07-06-2013, 03:14 AM
Please understand, when I was returning the Analog DAC I ended up comparing the Analog DAC to the Signature Dac/Diamond Power supply (with and without the Galaxy clock).

What I'm saying is that you should give it another try.

Vinylpressing
07-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Any thoughts on the 818.3 vs. the Analog DAC?