AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default McIntosh C2300 review

It’s no secret, I have said it many times. The McIntosh C2300 is one of my all-time favorite tube preamplifiers, and I believe it to be the very best single box tube preamplifier that McIntosh has ever produced. The feature list is packed with useful controls, high quality parts, and its sound is detailed, robust, dynamic, and best of all, very musical. I have owned a C2300 in the past, and in my quest to climb the McIntosh ladder I sold it to acquire a C1000C/T preamplifier. Owning the flagship tube preamp gave me a new yard stick by which to measure the other preamplifiers I have owned, and surprisingly I discovered how close the C2300’s performance approached that of McIntosh’s top tier preamp. I also discovered that there are control features available on the C2300 that I had a fondness for, mainly the remote controlled bass and treble tone controls. As I grew to know the C1000T, I saw many of the same quality parts and construction techniques that are also on the C2300. Having never lost my special attraction for the C2300, I made the decision to sell my C1000C/T and return to my much missed C2300. This review is about rediscovering the very special C2300 preamplifier.

The new C2300 preamp now has 107 hours on it. After cutting the factory seals on the shipping cartons, and lifting this sweet beauty to freedom, I immediately pulled the top cover and replaced the McIntosh stock tubes with Telefunken 12AX7’s before ever energizing the preamp for the first time. The Telefunken’s already had about 200 hours on them, and now have just over 300 hours of use. I believe this is part of the reason the new C2300 never seemed to go through any major change in its sonic signature as the break in hours rolled by. Once I energized the C2300, I left it playing for the entire 107 hours before turning it off the first time. I was spinning CD’s and SACD’s on the MCD1100, or the MR74 tuner was providing the signal. From the first few hours of play through today, the only difference I have detected in the C2300’s sound is a slight improvement in the organic nature to the sound of vocals, predominately female voices. There now seems to be more breath and texture, particularly noticeable on tracks from Diana Krall, Jacintha, Melody Gardot, and Eva Cassidy. Today’s performances through the C2300 offered a shade more air around the voices and individual instruments versus day one. The overall frequency range from bottom to top is well defined, articulate, controlled, and intensely revealing.

The C2300 paired perfectly with the MC452 amplifier. It is like they were made for each other. What has impressed me more than anything is the complete absence of feeling I have lost anything with the transition from the C1000T to the C2300 preamplifier. I know what it was like to go from the C2300 to the C1000T, but until now I did not know what it’s like to go in the reverse direction. Sometimes it is more insightful to remove a component in order to discover what was there than it is to add a component and search for the advantages. This has been one of those moments for me. I had some initial suspicions that I might have lost some performance advantage with the C2300 replacing the C1000T. I honestly don’t feel I forfeited anything that I can hear. The overall sound, the clean presentation is still exactly as I desire. The overall sound stage, both width and depth are still rock solid, accurate, and highly believable. The preamplifier’s silence is soothingly black and without fault. I don’t hear any reduction in audio performance that is quantifiable to my ears. No wonder I was so enamored with my first C2300 preamplifier, and feel exactly the same way with the second one. The C2300 preamplifier is a jewel, and sits squarely in the sweet spot of the McIntosh preamplifier lineup.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-11-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the great review Dan !
I'm glad to know that you enjoy it so much and don't loose anything compared to the 1000T.
Now this is my question : when will you sell the 1000P in the main system to buy an other 2300 ?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM

Dan,

Well put. I couldn't agree more with the performance/value of the 2300. Never had the flagship, and now reading your review, i'll stay right where I am. The EAT tubes, I put in mine are a real added bonus. Nice write up.

Thanks.........Scott

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jérôme.......I knew that question would be coming. I am keeping the C1000C/P in the main system. I am proud to own the McIntosh premium preamplifier. I am totally satisfied with its performance in my main system, and see no need to part with it. The 1000C and the 1000P components complete the look of my rack. Not planning to change a thing.

I am thrilled with my new C2300's performance, and comfortable to discover that I did not yield performance for the convenience of a single box preamplifier. It is here to stay.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jérôme.......I knew that question would be coming. I am keeping the C1000C/P in the main system. I am proud to own the McIntosh premium preamplifier. I am totally satisfied with its performance in my main system, and see no need to part with it. The 1000C and the 1000P components complete the look of my rack. No to to change a thing.

I am thrilled with my new C2300's performance, and comfortable to discover that I did not yield performance for the convenience of a single box preamplifier.
Dan,
You're mentionning pride of owning and aesthetics and that is all good, but what do you really think about the sound ?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jérôme.......I love the sound, but you already know that. This is the review when the C1000P replaced the C2300 in my main system, and I moved the first C2300 to the studio system.

McIntosh C1000C/P Review

Last edited by jdandy; 03-10-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 PM

So Dan,
If I follow you, you consider the 1000P to be clearly better than the 2300, and the 2300 equivalent to the 1000T, sonically speaking ?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jérôme.......Do I have to take the oath before I answer?

I have stated my positions. I like both the C2300 and the C1000P very much. What else is there for me to say. I am not trying to persuade anyone to purchase either preamplifier. I am just a solo audio enthusiast enjoying my sound systems. My reviews are strictly for entertainment purposes, nothing more.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 PM

Dan,
You misunderstood me.
I'm sorry if my questions gave you the feeling of a court trial.
I just wanted to clear up your personal opinion, which will remain your personnal opinion of course, and nothing more.
For example, my personal opinion is that the C1000P sounds better than the 1000T and your experience seems to mirror mine....but I do know that many don't agree with this here. I listen like you with my ears and not other's ears....
Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 PM

Congrats Dan,

Sometimes it takes a step backward before one realizes what you really want. I don't mean a step backward in terms of quality or craftsmanship, but more of a 20/20 hindsight idea. I'm glad you were able to see/ hear that the C2300 is the right piece to your puzzle.