AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Furutech AG12 Phono Cable

The Furutech AG12 phono cable arrived last week from Jeff at A/V Solutions. This phono interconnect cable is a beauty. I immediately removed the Wireworld one meter Silver Eclipse interconnect I had between my Micro Seiki turntable and the C1000P preamp, and installed the Furutech AG12. Since the Furutech AG12 capacitance is around 55 pico farads for the 1.2 meter length, I am now able to dial in the total capacitance loading that I desire for my Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet phono cartridge. The 2M Black sounds best to me with the preamplifier's capacitance loading set at 100 pf plus the cable's 55 pf. With the Wireworld Silver Eclipse interconnects 300 pf capacitance for one meter, and the lowest setting the C1000P capacitance loading can be adjusted to is 50 pf, the best I could do with the Silver Eclipse cable was 350 pf. That was too high, and made the 2M Black sound brighter than is natural. Now, at a total load capacitance of 155 pf, the 2M Black is sounding neutral and smooth without the bright edginess that the higher capacitance setting was causing.

I have spent three days spinning vinyl from morning to evening, while at the same time keeping the CD player spinning in the studio to break in the MC452 amp. At any rate, the Furutech AG12 phono cable is sounding very accurate, detailed, and resolved. I spent about two hours dialing in the VTA, stylus rack angle, azimuth, and tracking force to my satisfaction, and I can tell you my Micro Seiki turntable with the MA-505 tonearm and Ortofon 2M Black phono cartridge has never sounded better. Album after album was pulled from my record collection, and both sides played. I was continuously marveled at the clarity, extension, dynamics, channel separation, and overall presentation of each album. Between the accurate setup of my phono cartridge and tonearm, to the fine Furutech AG12 phono cable, my vinyl playback system is truly making me sit up and take notice. I have played almost 50 albums since installing the AG12, and setting the C1000P capacitance loading correctly. I am thoroughly impressed with the improvement this phono cable has brought to my vinyl rig. I can recommend the Furutech AG12 without reservation.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 05-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
The Architect

Glad to hear the new phono cable was a positive upgrade for you Dan - your system continues to improve as time goes on - either incrementally or in some cases in larger steps. Anytime you are excited to listen to an entire record (or several) all the way through is a very good sign!

I'm not surprised to hear that Jeff's recommendation was a postive one - he is a tremendous asset to this forum and the AA community!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Dan...congrats on the positive results from the phono cable upgrade
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Glad to hear the new phono cable was a positive upgrade for you Dan - your system continues to improve as time goes on - either incrementally or in some cases in larger steps. Anytime you are excited to listen to an entire record (or several) all the way through is a very good sign!

I'm not surprised to hear that Jeff's recommendation was a postive one - he is a tremendous asset to this forum and the AA community!
Jeff.......I could not agree more. A/V Solutions is also a great place to shop. Lots of fine products at very competitive prices, especially to AA members/subscribers.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 AM

I'm also a happy AG-12 owner.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Dan, glad the new AG-12 is working out for you and most importantly, you're enjoying your LPs so much. I thought about the AG-12 but my arm requires a 90 deg DIN, and there's no way the Furutech 90 deg DIN fits under my Michelll. It's just too big and the L-shape to the Gyro frame prevents it from fitting.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Retired

Very nice. Thanks for the technical info on the two phono ICs and the feedback on the differences. Have been wondering what IC to use with the second arm (SME 3009 Series 2) on the Micro Seiki and appreciate the info.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
I'm also a happy AG-12 owner.
Jeff.......I read your review of the Furutech AG12 in ToneAudio, the issue where you gave the AG12 cable a Product of the Year 2009 award. Now that I own one, I can say your comments and award were absolutely correct. That article helped me make a decision.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Dan, glad the new AG-12 is working out for you and most importantly, you're enjoying your LPs so much. I thought about the AG-12 but my arm requires a 90 deg DIN, and there's no way the Furutech 90 deg DIN fits under my Michelll. It's just too big and the L-shape to the Gyro frame prevents it from fitting.
Stephen.......So there's no way the 90 degree DIN on the Furutech AG12 will work with the Gyro SE, uh? What about small risers inder the Gyro's feet? This phono cable is worth the effort to find a way to use it.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:11 AM

Dan.......
What's happening to you with all those analog tricks ? Are you beginning to "HEAR" the light ?