AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 12-17-2018, 10:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Samsung Galaxy Watch is a keeper

My Samsung Galaxy Watch arrived today. First impressions are extremely positive. The black stainless steel body has some weight which makes the watch feel solid and durable. The multi-function rotating bezel is slightly higher than the Gorilla Glass touchscreen, which I am certain will help protect the crystal from being damaged by glancing abrasions and bumps that wristwatches are prone to encounter in daily wear. The AMOLED screen is sensational, bright, clear, with solid blacks and fully saturated colors. Not only are the watch faces highly detailed, the text at all sizes is razor sharp.

Samsung's Exynos 9110 Dual core 1.15GHz processor and Tizen OS 4.0 operating system deliver buttery smooth functions. Pairing the Samsung Galaxy Watch to my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone was quick and easy. Samsung has really done its homework with respect to the way the watch and phone communicate. To make sure I was up to speed on how to operate the watch and take full advantage of its long list of features I downloaded the User Manual a few days ago. Much to my surprise the manual is 102 pages, written clearly, and outlining every feature, how to access them, and how to adjust the various parameters. After refreshing myself with the manual last night I had no problems setting up the watch, adjusting the settings to my personal preferences, and setting up Samsung Pay so I can make use of it at all NFC payment terminals.

I removed the rubbery soft silicon band that comes with the watch. I am not a fan of those types of bands. Perhaps if I worked out, got sweaty, or went swimming regularly while wearing the watch that band would be more realistic. My preference went with a black stainless steel band with latching clasp. The quick release strap pins make swapping bands an easy task. It took me longer to remove the bracelet sections of the stainless band to size it for my wrist than to swap the band. The black stainless band gives the Samsung Galaxy Watch a more refined look, and the black color tone of the band matches perfectly with the black stainless steel watch case.

The watch comes with nine different watch faces preloaded. I downloaded an additional eleven watch faces that appeal to me. Many of the watch faces are customizable, allowing color changes for the face, the hands, and the functions of other watch face small dials. A person could go off the deep end with watch faces if left unrestrained. There are over 60,000 watch faces available. The Galaxy Watch also comes preloaded with a nice assortment of apps, both for function and fitness. Additional apps can be downloaded. I added a currency converter, an altimeter and barometer, and a Celsius to Fahrenheit app. I am unlikely to make use of the fitness tracking functions, but I do like the step counter, stairs climbed, heart rate sensor, and estimated calories burned per day.

I like the Always On display. It allows the watch face to dim and change colors when your wrist moves about or is suspended, yet when you move your arm to the normal position for viewing the watch the dial illuminates fully, and the time it remains full brightness before dimming is controlled in the Setting Menu. There are so many useful features available in the Samsung Galaxy Watch it will take some time to learn the best way to get the most out of them, but suffice it to say I am impressed with this watch. It is a real watch that offers so much more right on your wrist.

Earlier this evening I was in the kitchen when Pete (Vintage Pete) sent me a text message. My phone was on the desk in my office, so I would not have seen the message for some period of time. Instead, my watch vibrated softly to notify me I had a text message. One swipe on the screen and I was reading the text. I responded by tapping the microphone icon and spoke my response. The Samsung Galaxy Watch converted my speech to text and I tapped the send icon, all right from the watch. How cool is that. The same is true should I receive a call. My watch will ring or vibrate, or ring and vibrate to let me know there is an incoming call. One tap on the answer icon and I can take the call right from my watch even with my cellphone in another room or in my pocket. I haven't tested the distance of the Bluetooth transmission capabilities but I do know it works from the kitchen to my office.

I selected the 42mm size watch, versus the 46mm size. I would have preferred the larger battery installed in the 46mm watch, but the size made it too large for my wrist size. I can always extend battery life by turning off the Always On display, GPS, and heart monitoring, but quite honestly why would I want to do that. I don't mind dropping the watch on the tiny charger at night, even if it doesn't necessarily need it. The 42mm size is perfect and the screen size only gives up 0.1 inch to the 46mm model so I still have plenty of room for my fingers to navigate the touchscreen. All in all I am quite pleased with the Samsung Galaxy Watch. I suspect it may cause my other watches to linger in the darkness of a drawer keeping each other company, perhaps seeing the light of day for a particular occasion. As it stands right now I am enthusiastic about wearing the Galaxy watch. It is comfortable and I have no issue with long sleeved cuffs fitting over it. So far this watch is everything I had hoped it would be and considerably more. I think I made a good choice for my first smart watch.

The photos below shows a watch face at full brightness and then dimmed in the Always On setting. The other photo shows the watch thickness along with the black stainless steel band I added.

. . . . . .

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-17-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:11 PM
Go Dawgs

Dan - very cool, glad you like it. You made a good choice with the black steel band, makes it look excellent.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
My Samsung Galaxy Watch arrived today. First impressions are extremely positive. The black stainless steel body has some weight which makes the watch feel solid and durable. The multi-function rotating bezel is slightly higher than the Gorilla Glass touchscreen, which I am certain will help protect the crystal from being damaged by glancing abrasions and bumps that wristwatches are prone to encounter in daily wear. The AMOLED screen is sensational, bright, clear, with solid blacks and fully saturated colors. Not only are the watch faces highly detailed, the text at all sizes is razor sharp.

Samsung's Exynos 9110 Dual core 1.15GHz processor and Tizen OS 4.0 operating system deliver buttery smooth functions. Pairing the Samsung Galaxy Watch to my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone was quick and easy. Samsung has really done its homework with respect to the way the watch and phone communicate. To make sure I was up to speed on how to operate the watch and take full advantage of its long list of features I downloaded the User Manual a few days ago. Much to my surprise the manual is 102 pages, written clearly, and outlining every feature, how to access them, and how to adjust the various parameters. After refreshing myself with the manual last night I had no problems setting up the watch, adjusting the settings to my personal preferences, and setting up Samsung Pay so I can make use of it at all NFC payment terminals.

I removed the rubbery soft silicon band that comes with the watch. I am not a fan of those types of bands. Perhaps if I worked out, got sweaty, or went swimming regularly while wearing the watch that band would be more realistic. My preference went with a black stainless steel band with latching clasp. The quick release strap pins make swapping bands an easy task. It took me longer to remove the bracelet sections of the stainless band to size it for my wrist than to swap the band. The black stainless band gives the Samsung Galaxy Watch a more refined look, and the black color tone of the band matches perfectly with the black stainless steel watch case.

The watch comes with nine different watch faces preloaded. I downloaded an additional eleven watch faces that appeal to me. Many of the watch faces are customizable, allowing color changes for the face, the hands, and the functions of other watch face small dials. A person could go off the deep end with watch faces if left unrestrained. There are over 60,000 watch faces available. The Galaxy Watch also comes preloaded with a nice assortment of apps, both for function and fitness. Additional apps can be downloaded. I added a currency converter, an altimeter and barometer, and a Celsius to Fahrenheit app. I am unlikely to make use of the fitness tracking functions, but I do like the step counter, stairs climbed, heart rate sensor, and estimated calories burned per day.

I like the Always On display. It allows the watch face to dim and change colors when your wrist moves about or is suspended, yet when you move your arm to the normal position for viewing the watch the dial illuminates fully, and the time it remains full brightness before dimming is controlled in the Setting Menu. There are so many useful features available in the Samsung Galaxy Watch it will take some time to learn the best way to get the most out of them, but suffice it to say I am impressed with this watch. It is a real watch that offers so much more right on your wrist.

Earlier this evening I was in the kitchen when Pete (Vintage Pete) sent me a text message. My phone was on the desk in my office, so I would not have seen the message for some period of time. Instead, my watch vibrated softly to notify me I had a text message. One swipe on the screen and I was reading the text. I responded by tapping the microphone icon and spoke my response. The Samsung Galaxy Watch converted my speech to text and I tapped the send icon, all right from the watch. How cool is that. The same is true should I receive a call. My watch will ring or vibrate, or ring and vibrate to let me know there is an incoming call. One tap on the answer icon and I can take the call right from my watch even with my cellphone in another room or in my pocket. I haven't tested the distance of the Bluetooth transmission capabilities but I do know it works from the kitchen to my office.

I selected the 42mm size watch, versus the 46mm size. I would have preferred the larger battery installed in the 46mm watch, but the size made it too large for my wrist size. I can always extend battery life by turning off the Always On display, GPS, and heart monitoring, but quite honestly why would I want to do that. I don't mind dropping the watch on the tiny charger at night, even if it doesn't necessarily need it. The 42mm size is perfect and the screen size only gives up 0.1 inch to the 46mm model so I still have plenty of room for my fingers to navigate the touchscreen. All in all I am quite pleased with the Samsung Galaxy Watch. I suspect it may cause my other watches to linger in the darkness of a drawer keeping each other company, perhaps seeing the light of day for a particular occasion. As it stands right now I am enthusiastic about wearing the Galaxy watch. It is comfortable and I have no issue with long sleeved cuffs fitting over it. So far this watch is everything I had hoped it would be and considerably more. I think I made a good choice for my first smart watch.

The photos below shows a watch face at full brightness and then dimmed in the Always On setting. The other photo shows the watch thickness along with the black stainless steel band I added.

. . . . . .

A smart watch that actually looks like a watch, congrats and enjoy.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Dan - very cool, glad you like it. You made a good choice with the black steel band, makes it look excellent.

- Buck
Buck.......I had to make sure there was one good Christmas present for me this year, even if it did come from Santa Dan.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-17-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
A smart watch that actually looks like a watch, congrats and enjoy.
David.......Yes, it has always been a prime criteria that if I ever purchased a smart watch it had to look like a watch, not something that looks like it came out of a Cracker Jack box. I don't want to wear anything that looks like a toy. There are watch faces available to make the Samsung Galaxy Watch look like many models from Breitling, Rolex, Tag Heuer, Omega, Ferrari, and many other fine watches. In addition, the quick release watch bands allow an owner to tailor the Galaxy watch to nearly any wardrobe. This is a very cool watch. The whole package, the 42mm Samsung Galaxy watch in black, along with the black stainless steel band came to $314.44 including tax and free Amazon Prime shipping. If you ask me, that's a good deal.

Last edited by jdandy; 12-18-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:09 AM

That is one beautiful looking watch and I'm glad to hear you like it. It's still amazing to me how much electronics these devices can pack into such a small package yet still be incredibly durable
Old 12-18-2018, 09:19 AM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Dan,
Congratulations. Your new Samsung watch looks very nice. My son has the Samsung and loves it. I like the Samsung look but since I was a Apple developer for several years the world where I live is all Apple. If your smartwatch experience is anything like mine your mechanical watch days are a thing of the past. On those rare occasions when you pull one out for a special event, don't be surprised when you keep looking at your wrist and feel like you forgot something. I don't go anywhere or do anything without my Apple Watch on my wrist at this point. There's no going back.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.

Last edited by tweet; 12-18-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macuser View Post
That is one beautiful looking watch and I'm glad to hear you like it. It's still amazing to me how much electronics these devices can pack into such a small package yet still be incredibly durable
Macuser.......Thank you. I put the Galaxy Watch on this morning and instantly smiled. I like it.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Dan,
Congratulations. Your new Samsung watch looks very nice. My son has the Samsung and loves it. I like the Samsung look but since I was a Apple developer for several years the world where I live is all Apple. If your smartwatch experience is anything like mine your mechanical watch days are a thing of the past. On those rare occasions when you pull one out for a special event, don't be surprised when you keep looking at your wrist and feel like you forgot something. I don't go anywhere or do anything without my Apple Watch on my wrist at this point. There's no going back.
Terry.......I am already sensing a preference for wearing the smart watch. I like getting notification and emails on my Galaxy watch when I am around the house but away from my phone. This morning I changed the watch face just for fun.

I understand being connected to a manufacturers ecosystem, especially when you've had development experience with a particular product. I looked at the new 44mm Apple Watch 4. It is a remarkable smart watch. I like how thin it is. The larger 44mm watch looks better to me than the 40mm model. Still, I prefer a more traditional watch shape. Either choice, the technology one can carry on your wrist these days is amazing.

Last edited by jdandy; 12-18-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:43 PM

IMG_3701.JPG

Last edited by jdandy; 12-18-2018 at 01:54 PM. Reason: enlarge photo