AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado
Default MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

While catchy and cute, this of course does not apply here. The idea of facing a fork in the road is a false choice and at best wishful thinking for those promoting MQA. The “road” is already “well paved”; open, free, mature and robust (file formats), this highway already allows broad creativity and innovation without major licensing impediments especially for smaller companies, and has enough lanes to accommodate the needs of music lovers whether they’re happy with MP3 or desire huge DSD256 downloads. In my opinion, MQA is an optional turn-off at this point with little content (28) leading down an unpromising dimly lit narrow path with toll booths along the way. Should we bother with this detour?

Ultimately, remember that the music industry can be wrong, audiophile magazines can be wrong, as an individual, I can be wrong (and my wife says I often am!). But the consumer is always right – which is exactly why “we” call the shots. Let’s see how this goes...

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...cautions-r701/
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 PM

Funny you should just post this. I just watched this video about MQA...

Not sure who will go down the detour and who won't but it does appear appealing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NHuwOgWYOo
Subwoofer REL Stadium III Sub-Bass System BluRay Player Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Racing Hoopties

Interesting read. Consider me one who is resistant to any form of copy protection / music monopoly hidden under the false guise of improved SQ.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Interesting read. Consider me one who is resistant to any form of copy protection / music monopoly hidden under the false guise of improved SQ.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:36 AM

MQA sounds excellent with the first unfold on my Aurender music server. I am very impressed streaming Tidal which is a great deal. I’m not keeping it from my system because it sounds better than redbook, not worse why deprive yourself something that sounds excellent?
Old 03-10-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
MQA sounds excellent with the first unfold on my Aurender music server. I am very impressed streaming Tidal which is a great deal. I’m not keeping it from my system because it sounds better than redbook, not worse why deprive yourself something that sounds excellent?

Exactly my point.

I got MQA update on my PS Audio DS DAC for free. And when I stream MQA, it is almost as good as my DVDA playing on the DS Memory spinner.

The thing is I can’t always find high res versions of the albums I want. So having MQA is a real boon.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 AM

The copy protection issue is BS. The lack of content with already over 10,000 titles is BS Anyone with ears knows the quality is on par with other hi-rez formats. And so far for me it has been free. So all the chicken littles can stop screaming the sky is falling.

I think it funny that the audiophile community thinks they will have any say whether MQA is used going forward. We are little ticks on the elephant.

Last edited by Still-One; 03-10-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Racing Hoopties

Let’s say MQA becomes the standard by which all future recordings are made by the big 3 studios. Then what? I admit I am not that savvy with the technology but it would seem possible for them to encode the music to require an MQA DAC to play and/or limit the resolution of non-MQA equipment.

All in the name of property rights.

I don’t think that is running around saying the sky is falling.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-10-2018, 10:29 AM

Craig, MQA is most likely going to stay for streaming as physical digital media is going away. We are almost at the point where there is no reason really to purchase music anymore . I’m telling you MQA is not a bad thing if it means better than cd quality streaming. Hi res. PCM and DSD are available if you have the need to buy, but really what is the point with Tidal? To me tidal sounds just as good as my cd’s and MQA sounds better. You should consider a aurender demo then you will understand
Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Racing Hoopties

Just pointing out that a proprietary algorithm can be used to ‘control’ whether through physical media or streaming.

I have absolutely no need for an Aurender or any other streamer.