AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 10-09-2012, 12:20 AM

My listening room is 13.5 ft wide x 26.8 ft long x 12 ft high.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM

JCeaves,

Welcome, and congrats on your first post. I just saw this but won't be able to respond until tomorrow. Still I wanted to let you know I saw it.

Until then, enjoy the music, and know I still have my Sophia's....

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindostevesan View Post
My listening room is 13.5 ft wide x 26.8 ft long x 12 ft high.
Mine is 13' wide by 23' deep by 8.75' high.

In my room I preferred the Lafon 300Bs to the GM70s. In Matt's the GM70's were the clear winner. Personal choice, one day I want to try the GM70's again now that I have lived with my system as is for 6 months.

Running DeVore 0/96 speakers in the system against the short wall.

Barr
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
JCeaves,

Welcome, and congrats on your first post. I just saw this but won't be able to respond until tomorrow. Still I wanted to let you know I saw it.

Until then, enjoy the music, and know I still have my Sophia's....

Sent from my mobile device using A.Aficionado
Thanks FranklinLG! I'm really impressed at the level of intelligence and humor (and tolerance!) on this forum, not to mention all of the wonderful information and user thoughts regarding Shindo equipment. I think this is a wonderful way to communicate and to socialize, so that's why I joined.

Since I made the post, I mentioned my thoughts regarding the Sophia/Cortese comparison to my Shindo dealer, and suffice to say that he disagrees completely. I'm sure he was right and that the remedy to my misguided opinion of the Cortese would be to purchase it! In fact, he recommended retiring from my search for a better sounding audio equipment by purchasing a full Shindo system immediately.

However, having just purchased the Sophia's, I'm inclined to listen to them for a while and they do sound quite good. How good, I won't know until I upgrade my speakers - Rega R5's. (Do I hear chortling among the Aficionados?) Actually, they are easy to drive and perform admirably well with almost any amplifier, sounding pretty darn good with the Sophia/Shindo combo. However, their midrange capacity limits the amp and pre's feature strengths and the Rega's impedance is straining dynamics - there is powerful enveloping bass, but a bit out of control. After hooking my son's Klipsch Hereseys to the system last night, I know that I'll need higher efficiency speakers to open the midrange up and to control the prodigious lower frequency drive of the Sophia Electric. I live in New Mexico, Land of Enchantment (and few audio dealers) but I'm headed to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest tomorrow. The O/96's are at the top of the list, but we'll see what other high efficiency designs sound like. I have enjoyed reading FranklinLG's comments and those of other O/96 owners on AA.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Jceaves, welcome aboard!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jceaves View Post
Since I made the post, I mentioned my thoughts regarding the Sophia/Cortese comparison to my Shindo dealer, and suffice to say that he disagrees completely. I'm sure he was right and that the remedy to my misguided opinion of the Cortese would be to purchase it! In fact, he recommended retiring from my search for a better sounding audio equipment by purchasing a full Shindo system immediately.
Hi, what dealer have you been in contact with?

-M
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Talking

JC,

My issue with my Sophias appears to be related to a build construction issue. I can't explain why, just my suspicion. There is a hum that occurs. It is definitely present when I use a standard 3 prong plug. When I lift the ground with an adapter this seems to disappear for the most part, subject placement. It is also more problematic with my right channel.

I have recently had appreciable success in removing it by getting creative with how I have my amps positioned. What seems to resolve this is that I've lifted the amp on to a floating cutting board, and have also placed an additional board under the front feet. Curiously, placing the board under the back feat does NOT do anything - hum is always present. Now when my friend brought his Cortese over to demo the system was dead silent! So my reasoning here is that there is something to be cautious about the Sophias. I love the sound, and have tweaked them with some terrific NOS tubes.

Ultimately, these have been great. They've made a difference in my audio experience. They will likely always remain in my arsenal. But I am seriously looking at another pair of 300B's by border patrol, various Shindo amps, and Lampizator's new GM70's. Ultimately, my inclination is to stick with Shindo. And while I do like the cheaper options..., there is something alluring about that darn green box...!

Last edited by FranklinLG; 10-12-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 PM

There is a pair of one year old gm70s on audiogon for $15k...

Last edited by Freestone; 10-12-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 PM

yep was just gonna share that as well...if I wasn't downsizing...hmmmm
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM

Already on it, thanks for the heads up on another thread, Jayson!