AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
You did exactly what I would have done. I really like the XR100s.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
I really enjoy the XR100s, they are most definitely keepers. My dealer let me spend many hours listening to them. I went to Houston and heard SF Cremona M, B&W 802 Diamond, some Martin Logan, and other speakers I don't remember. All in all I kept coming back to the XR100. I know Mcintosh was not well known for speakers but they have really done something right with this one. Not sure what MC601's would sound like on them but the MC275LE seem to effortlessly drive them no matter what I have thrown at it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 PM

Trey - Very nice set up...Congrats!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
Try pulling the speakers away from the wall and see if that improves to your liking. Otherwise, you may need to go along the short wall.
I totally agree. On both steps.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 AM

Sorry, didn't see that you already tried that. I don't think you should need to pull them out to the carpet. About half way should help? Did you try the other wall? I think you want the listening spot to be halfway into the room and the speakers to be about a foot from the wall minimum. That only seems possible for you if you change to the short wall. You may need some room treatments to get the most out of your purchase.

I do know that you want a fairly even triangle between the speakers and listening spot to begin with, and tweak from there.

If you are working with a local dealer, they should come out and help also. Mine did.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 AM

I think I will be trying the short wall, that is one thing I have not done yet. Plus it will be a lot easier to move the gear now instead of when all the gear is here and set up. I have read several speaker set up guides and the WASP one talks about being in the neutral zone, I'm thinking that will be easier to achieve when I have more room to play with on how far my listening position is from the speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 AM

Congrats, Trey. You've put together an impressive system.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:44 PM

So I have had absolutely no sound stage with the new speakers. Well I decided to move the system to the short wall. Still absolutely no sound stage. Then I think to myself...what if I bypassed the apple TV and peach tree altogether and just plug my iphone directly into the c2300. BAM, SOUNDSTAGE! All the sudden I hear instruments where they are suppose to be, voices are right above the guitar strings, everything is there and in the right place. I will say that it has lost some richness in tone and certainly sound quality has decreased but that's understandable since I am bypassing the DAC inside the peachtree. I'm hoping that when the D100 shows up we have no problems and the ultimate solution to all this. I'm not crazy about the new setup but I do like how the system has it's own area at one end of the room with lots of space around it and I also enjoy looking out the windows while enjoying the music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (748.8 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Rebellious!

I think you are going to pull your hair out with the idea of soundstage. Its an important feature, but not every recording follows this ideal.

I use AudioAudit for the iPhone which helps with phase, left right soundstage, and over all Real Time Analyzer (RTA). I have also read "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith and "Guide to High End Audio" by Robert Hartley both informative books. Lastly, I read Floyd Toole's Textbook on Audio. I know I am suggesting that you spend all this money in an App and a couple of Books, but that level of education is something that you wont get from here.. Without spending even more time and even visiting well spoken homes of some of the wisest members..

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
I think you are going to pull your hair out with the idea of soundstage. Its an important feature, but not every recording follows this ideal.

I use AudioAudit for the iPhone which helps with phase, left right soundstage, and over all Real Time Analyzer (RTA). I have also read "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith and "Guide to High End Audio" by Robert Hartley both informative books. Lastly, I read Floyd Toole's Textbook on Audio. I know I am suggesting that you spend all this money in an App and a couple of Books, but that level of education is something that you wont get from here.. Without spending even more time and even visiting well spoken homes of some of the wisest members..

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
I am still very new to all this so my learning curve is huge. I have always loved to learn and will most likely consume this information over time. I do realize it's ultimately my responsibility to make sure everything is done correctly, it's just still so very overwhelming sometimes. I deeply appreciate all the advise given here on AA and the many years of experience represented here. Honestly it's very humbling to be a part of AA but exciting at the same time. I will check out the resources you named. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Alien Member

Trey - you have a beautiful room and that system should indeed sound fabulous in there, and I envy having such a supportive wife.

I'm not too familiar with how exactly the Apple tv and Peachtree stream the music files from your iPhone. Do they bypass the dac/amp section of the iPhone thereby sending the pure digital files?
Also are you sure the eq is Off in the iPhone? I've tried my iTouch with a Pure i-20 transport as well as a Wadia i70 transport into a DacMagic and in both cases the iPhone dac/amp is bypassed but oddly enough if any of the iPhone eq curves is selected, it affects the sound quite badly. The built in eq sounds fine when listening with earbuds/headphone straight out of the iPhone/Touch but not when streamed into a high-end system.

Lossless > D100 / Yami YP 450 tt > MA7000 > KEF RDM3 / SVS SB2000 / Too much music, not enough time.