AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wyred 4 Sound

Wyred 4 Sound Rediscover Your Music

Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
Bikeman71....welcome!

I'm not positive but I think the BDP-95 may already implement the ESS 9018 Sabre DAC, as does the W4S DAC-2. Perhaps somebody with experience with the Oppo players such as Dan aka jdandy could chime in on this. If it does, I'm not sure how much of a performance bump the DAC-2 would provide. Now if you need the multiple digital inputs the DAC-2 provides, that would be another matter...in any event I'm sure you can find some direction here on AA. Welcome again!

Pete
I have an Oppo BDP-95 and a W4S DAC-1. Whilst they may share the same ES9018 DAC chip, to me the W4S DAC sounds better than the Oppo, which is relatively flat (dynamically) and 2 dimensional in comparison to the W4S. They have very different output stages, which will be having a major influence. I am not sure I would spend the extra on a DAC-2 over a DAC-1 if I was using it with an integrated amplifier. Use the savings on a decent digital cable instead.

Whether the difference would be warranted for the OP is harder to judge.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
Please excuse my newbiness. Just splurged on SF Cremonas, MC MA6600, BDP95, and Zu Event cables. I am absolutely loving my new system...in fact, I'm enjoying a local favorite as I write....Midnight Sugar on SACD.

Would this W4S DAC-2 be a compliment to my BDP95? I'm currently running XLR from the transport to my 6600. In the initial review, the user seemed to find a nice change of pace running his MC cd player into the DAC. Would I experience something similar? If this seems to be a good idea, I could then venture into a total digital library simultaneously, which also sounds attractive. If this would work, what would be the best way to deliver the signal from the 95 to the DAC-2?

Many thanks! I am loving this forum!
There is a good thread on this very topic here on AA. Enjoy:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/cd-pl...l-dac-2-a.html
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
I have an Oppo BDP-95 and a W4S DAC-1. Whilst they may share the same ES9018 DAC chip, to me the W4S DAC sounds better than the Oppo, which is relatively flat (dynamically) and 2 dimensional in comparison to the W4S. They have very different output stages, which will be having a major influence. I am not sure I would spend the extra on a DAC-2 over a DAC-1 if I was using it with an integrated amplifier. Use the savings on a decent digital cable instead.

Whether the difference would be warranted for the OP is harder to judge.
Very good points here, I cannot vouch for the output stages of the Oppo units. I do know the DAC-2 uses discrete components in the output circuitry, which is a big plus.

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm trying to decide which way to go first....build the analog system or go all-in with the digital. Vinyl is a different kind of commitment, but requires an active listening experience because of working the table etc. Digital is attractive because it is so easy once it is set up....but will i appreciate what is going on as much? So much to learn and experience.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm trying to decide which way to go first....build the analog system or go all-in with the digital. Vinyl is a different kind of commitment, but requires an active listening experience because of working the table etc. Digital is attractive because it is so easy once it is set up....but will i appreciate what is going on as much? So much to learn and experience.
Bikeman71,

As you contemplate digital vs analog you may want to think of cost as well. For me I don't have an interest in vinyl per se, but I can see a "buyer's market" for LP's. seems if a guy accumulated a good collection they could see an increase in value vs. digital, which is likely to come down in cost.

Digital still wins for me since I have "audio ADD" and can never listen to just one album. I have considered dabbling in vinyl however, since I'd predict value may rise some over time.

My two cents.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Learning to Listen

Well.... Let me add a W4S DAC 2 review of my own.

I have had one in my system for a couple days now (used, so presumably broken in) and I can tell you that compared to my Schiit Bifrost and Loki, it is a definite step up in the audio quality quotient.

Without trying to be too fancy with the words, what it gave was an immediate sound stage both deeper and wider than the other two. It also was able to hold the instruments or voices in position a tad better, but not by much. What I liked about it was its ability to, how to put this, round out an acoustic guitar string's sound. Does that make sense? It's like you suddenly went from a plucked string that was pleasing to hear from a speaker, but had a flat dimension to it, to a plucked string that was both 3D and in your living room. I was so intrigued with this that I went looking for more examples, and each time, especially with classical guitar pieces, there it was. The same for a double bass.

What I did not like was that the combination of the W4S DAC 2 and the Naim NAIT XS 2 made for some very analytic listening. Very crisp; very detailed; very quick. Hang on to your PRaT hat, little tomato, 'cause you're in for a ride.

It definitely kicks my system up another level, but whether the pairing is right, I'm not so sure. I'm going to live with it for a while more before deciding. Wish I had a D100 or Gungnir or some other DAC in its league for a real time comparison. How does the Bifrost or Loki hold up? VERY WELL. Given the initial costs of each component, I highly recommend a person not pass up the Schiit. Good stuff for the price! But up to the level of the W4S DAC 2? No.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Remembering Dan

John....thanks for your input, I find it very interesting. No doubt about it, the DAC -2 is excellent, offering a great value. I find it interesting too since I have been considering a Bifrost for my office system. Space is a consideration in that setup, as well as price. But I'm not in a hurry to decide and I may well opt for a second DAC-2.

I'm also intrigued by the available W4S DA-2 upgrade paths; with the full blown upgrade priced at $1250. It is said to offer a significant sonic improvement over the already excellent performance. I can't speak to your W4S/NAIT pairing, that will be your call. I definitely share your observation on the deep and wide soundstaging offered by the DAC-2.

I may well one day cave in and go for the upgrade....though I've other priorities in front of it. One thing I dread is being without my DAC-2 for the time it would be away for the upgrade. Of course, if I had a second one, that wait would be less painful....

What a slippery slope we are on with this hobby.....

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pider View Post
I can tell you that compared to my Schiit Bifrost and Loki, it is a definite step up in the audio quality quotient.
If this is true, then Schiit stuff is now completely off my radar. /sigh At least Loki for DSD doesn't represent a significant investment...
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Isn't that the truth, Pete?

Sometimes it depresses, though. Just like with wine, once you get a taste of the Krug, Cook's just doesn't cut it anymore...