AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-18-2022, 05:35 PM

Finally I have some efficient speakers on their way to me. My last speakers KEF LS50’s required me to run my EI KT90’s to get my 6V6’re to wake them up.
I am looking forward to getting back in touch with my smaller power tubes again. One of my favourite setups was Holland made EL84’s. I’ve got a handful of 6V6’s including Popes(holland)
Any suggestions regarding 6V6’s, 6F6’s or 6K6’s?
Old 02-18-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonatsea View Post
Finally I have some efficient speakers on their way to me. My last speakers KEF LS50’s required me to run my EI KT90’s to get my 6V6’re to wake them up.
I am looking forward to getting back in touch with my smaller power tubes again. One of my favourite setups was Holland made EL84’s. I’ve got a handful of 6V6’s including Popes(holland)

What did you end up getting for speakers?

Any 6f6. Definitely try a pair of NOS metals. You always know the NOS is legit by the smell of the baking paint. Nothing quite like it.
CV509s are a great 6v6.

Careful with6k6. I burned up a few parts in my PSE with those. Dennis advised me that my amp would need to be altered to run those safely. A different resistor as I recall.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
With my speakers I have really liked the clear glass 7c5 (all 7c5 tubes Sylvania 6v6 regardless of the label) and Sylvania labeled 6ez5. I think those 6ez5 are actually GE 6v6. I also like the black glass Ken Rad 6v6 I have too. I'm hoping to get a hold of some RCA 6v6 but the guitarists are buying them all. It's one of the reasons I'd like to try some 6aq5 tubes.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcity View Post
What did you end up getting for speakers?

Any 6f6. Definitely try a pair of NOS metals. You always know the NOS is legit by the smell of the baking paint. Nothing quite like it.
CV509s are a great 6v6.

Careful with6k6. I burned up a few parts in my PSE with those. Dennis advised me that my amp would need to be altered to run those safely. A different resistor as I recall.
Thanks for the info. IÂ’ll start looking around. I have a used pair of NMST Model 50 Jamaica. I figured for $1500 canadian shipped I couldnÂ’t go wrong. When I crunched the numbers, if I ordered the Tekton Prefect SET that I was eyeing up it wouldÂ’ve cost close to $4k canadian by the time it got to my door.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
With my speakers I have really liked the clear glass 7c5 (all 7c5 tubes Sylvania 6v6 regardless of the label) and Sylvania labeled 6ez5. I think those 6ez5 are actually GE 6v6. I also like the black glass Ken Rad 6v6 I have too. I'm hoping to get a hold of some RCA 6v6 but the guitarists are buying them all. It's one of the reasons I'd like to try some 6aq5 tubes.
I’ll check out the 7c5’s thanks
Old 02-19-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I’ll check out the 7c5’s thanks
Remember, you'll also need some loctal to 6v6 adapters if you want to use 7c5 tubes. I recommend Deyan https://www.head-fi.org/members/deyan.515868/ as opposed to the Chinese ones on ebay.

I also had him make some 7n7/7f7 to 6sn7/6sl7 adapters as well. That opens up the world of inexpensive Sylvania twin triode loctal tubes. The good Sylvania 6sn7 are starting to get super expensive, the equivalent 7n7 tends to be quite a bit less expensive.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Dennis asked me to pass on

“One of my favorite combos is with 6F6 output tubes and 5Y3 rectifier. That’s 6F6 heavy-metal.”
Old 02-19-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:

“One of my favorite combos is with 6F6 output tubes and 5Y3 rectifier. That’s 6F6 heavy-metal.”
Did Dennis have anything to say about 6aq5? I tried some metal RCA 6f6 tubes and they had a bit of a glare to them with my speakers. I want to try some 6k6 next.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:13 AM

I have a Fire-Bottle Universal SET amp. Just for yucks I was considering using a solid state rectifier with it https://tubedepot.com/products/solid-state-rectifier Does anybody know the pros and cons of this? The description says it is a replacement for 5AR4 / GZ34, 5Y3, 5U4G / 5U4GB, 5R4 / 5V4 / 5Z4 but then goes on to say "this replacement will increase overall B+ (plate voltage) by 10-20%." I don't understand what the ramifications of that would be. I was thinking about using it with the Tung-Sol 7581A or maybe KT150 or KT170 tubes.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up

Quote: