AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Learning to Listen

Default Pider Makes a Decision (Finally)

Well, at least a little decision.

For the benefit of new lurkers, the poor AA stalwarts have been putting up with my questions for years now, but finally I've decided how to take the next step, thanks especially to Howard and Dean.

As you know, I've been scratching my head as to what to update first, the speakers or the integrated. I've auditioned various equipment, but always thought that the speakers kept me from hearing a marked improvement over my little NAD. I even went to the ModWright factory to audition a KWI-200, just to make sure I was correct in my assumption that the speakers were holding back the performance of gear costing 8x as much as the NAD. And, well, duh. Yes, the better speakers allow a really good amp to shine through, but not by that much, surprisingly. A long time ago a very good audio dealer friend of mine said that you could get 80-85% of the best of the best on a very modest system if you paid attention to the synergy of the pieces. That is so true. Unless you want your system to place you in the 12th row center of Symphony Hall, most of our systems can do a pretty good job, even the "inexpensive" ones, if the individual pieces are matched correctly.

Well, how many sledge hammers does it take to drill something into my brain! If synergy is the key, and if I already have the Dynaudio 140's, then why not get off the dime and go out and get an amp that folks keep saying matches beautifully with these speakers. Howard said it all when he said that the Naim NAIT XS-2, paired with the Dynaudio 140's were incredibly musical. I'm betting he's right, and with the very sage advice and encouragement of Dean, I decided to spring for one.

I got delivery of it today, and thus far I've tested it out on the hangar system, feeding my old Spica Angelus, along with a ML Grotto sub. Wow! The little guy can pump out the sound! I'm impressed. Everything is cleaner, and, if I have this right, quicker. The When Hell Freezes Over live version of Hotel California suddenly was, well, LIVE. The guitar strings are now precise on the intro. The bass drum kicks were taught and emphatic. The sound stage much larger, perhaps even deeper. My 1982 Spica's were rocking like never before (amazing how good some of this old equipment is).

I cannot wait to get the Naim NAIT XS-2 home and hooked up to the 140's, but like a little kid at Christmas, I just had to report in. I'll post pictures after it's all hooked up on the home system.

Thanks everyone.

PS: Melinda came up to me during a large garden party we threw this last Saturday and asked if we could get outdoor speakers to match the quality of the indoor system, and when was I going to begin construction of the music room in the basement. She was quite embarrassed and tried to kick me away when I dropped to my knees and began kissing her feet.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Pider, HUGE congrats!! You will be floored when you break this in and have it paired with the Dynaudio 140's.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

John.......Huge congratulations. The mating of Dynaudio and Naim always seem to get rave reviews so I am positive you are in for a real treat. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing the photos.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 PM
The Architect

Good for you John! Congratulations on taking the next step, and I look forward to your review in your main system!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Pider, HUGE congrats!! You will be floored when you break this in and have it paired with the Dynaudio 140's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
John.......Huge congratulations. The mating of Dynaudio and Naim always seem to get rave reviews so I am positive you are in for a real treat. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing the photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Good for you John! Congratulations on taking the next step, and I look forward to your review in your main system!
Thanks, guys! It's such a small step compared to the systems you folks have put together, but it's a start! Can't wait to hear what Howard, Dean and others have said about how Naim and Dyn go together. My thinking is that if this floats my boat, I will begin shopping for the main system, starting with higher order Dyn speakers and go from there.

Ain't it all fun!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:34 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

John,

A hearty congratulations! Sounds like a treat awaits. I'll be looking forward to hearing more and seeing the photos.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Learning to Listen

Photos not there yet, but here's a quick update.

You all know well the sound a piano makes when a key, such as C above middle is struck, the quickness of the attack and decay. And, you know well how it sounds when a trumpeter is triple tonguing precisely. And, of course you know the tautness of double bass strings when during a jazz piece the bassist walks you down. You also know the head shaking amazing experience when a string quartet plays and they are totally in synch, feeding off one another, not too fast, but not too slow, moving effortlessly through a piece.

Well, I'm beginning to realize that these and other musical moments are possible beyond live sessions now that I have the combination of the Dyn's and the Naim NAIT XS 2. It's like a rhythmic and musical veil has been lifted from my system. The Dyn's are as musical as ever, but now they are assured of themselves, not hesitant or sloppy. And the bass. Tight. I've never heard bass so tight on my system. With authority.

It may be a little more bright than I'd eventually like, I'm not sure. It actually startled me right after I began listening. Suddenly there was much more music in the room, and with a realism that I had not heard before. The HD downloads and FLAC rips are laid bare, meaning they better be good recordings or OW! Nothing added that I can tell, but nothing forgiven, either. An irritable recording is now really, really irritable.

I haven't had a chance for some extensive listening, given the schedule Mel has us on, house guests, and the need to watch football. However, after an upcoming trip to Puerto Rico to help with the final data collection and ultimate removal of my daughter's mangrove research station, I'll be back and will take the combo through a wide variety of music. In the meantime, I can say that Dyn's do in fact play well with Naim, as others have been saying. In fact, they play better than anything else I've heard them with, other than the honey sweet sound of the MC275 VI.

Last edited by Pider; 10-11-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 PM

John, this is exciting news and a great move. I think your toes will be doing a lot more tapping with the Naim NAIT XS 2. My den system is pound for pound, dollar for dollar the best little system I have ever heard. Even the audiophiles that visit my home agree with this. The Naim will smooth out with 50+ hours on it and the musical soundstage will amaze you. I love the Dynaudio speaker line and believe you always get a speaker that competes with or excels over ones costing twice as much.
Keep us posted,
Howard
Old 10-12-2013, 01:25 AM

Congratulations, John, on a successful upgrade!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:05 AM
Life is beautiful

John, congrats!
Enjoy your toys!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables