AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Sooloos, Olive, Wadia, Sonos, to name a few

Old 07-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep View Post
I just question the purpose of roon once I am using one of those streaming platforms.
I have yet to find a streaming service with suitable repertoire and access.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:25 PM

In a dedicate setup, what are the advantages of Roon over something like say JRiver? I don't stream music. My dealer is into streaming. But I have found that there is a lot that is not available. Half the time the album I want to listen to is not there. I have found it is easier just to listen to music off my NAS and buy what I want.

I looked at the Roon website but it looks like it is more geared at playing music on multiple devices. Something I have no use for. So I am curious if there are any advantages in a dedicated system.
Power - Shunyata Triton with Shunyata Alpha HC Power Cords
Cables - Shunyata Zitron Cobra interconnects and Zitron Anaconda speaker cables.

"Life is too short to have ugly speakers"
Old 07-13-2017, 02:32 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Why roon?

Many, including myself have given our opinion on this question.

--- Content, content, content. Pandora, Tidal, Deezer, JRiver, iTunes do not offer the insight into the artists/albums/musicians etc that ROON provides.
--- Functionality (you may not use it now but wait..)

I love it and was not an early adopter. Sneering at the cost. But once I tried it, and it worked on my system, it was a no brainer.
PA Dedicated room - Sonus Faber Stradivari, JLAudio F113v1, McIntosh MC2301, McIntosh C2300, Esoteric K-03X, Esoteric G-02, SilenZio - Audio by -E- Media Server, W4S Recovery \ iFI 9V Power, Other - GIK kit, Vicoustics Waveguide panels, WW Gold Eclipse 7 SCs, WW Platinum Starlight 7 USB, WW Silver Electra 7 PCs, WW Silver Eclipse ICs; 3 X 20 Amp Power lines, PS Audio P10, 3 Sound Anchor stands, Powerports and numerous Noise Harvesters. Furutech Flex 50, Cable risers, HRS dampeners

TV Room - Panasonic TC-P60GT50, McIntosh MX-121, MC7106 & MC275VI, Revel F52 & C32, B&W LM1, Sonos Connect\W4S Remedy\iFI 9V Power, WW & Kimber cables, PS Audio Dectet

SC Vintage system - Infinity RSIIa, 2 X Threshold S/200, McIntosh C35, TEAC UD503, Sonos Connect w\W4S Remedy, HP Laptop/portable HD running JRMC21, PS Audio Dectet, Supra, WireWorld wires.

Last edited by crwilli; 07-13-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
In a dedicate setup, what are the advantages of Roon over something like say JRiver?...................... I have found it is easier just to listen to music off my NAS and buy what I want.
Agreed.

Quote:
I looked at the Roon website but it looks like it is more geared at playing music on multiple devices. Something I have no use for.
No more nor less than JRiver.

Quote:
So I am curious if there are any advantages in a dedicated system.
The primary advantage of ROON is the wealth of meta and ancillary data that they provide. It is not perfect but it is impressive. The GUI is distinctive and one's response to it is subjective. You have got to try it to find out if it is for you.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:08 AM
Former Frustrated Flutist

I agree, Roon provides a lot of metadata that Tidal does not. Also, if you want to find things in Tidal, Roon makes it easier. However, Roon does not and cannot overcome the excrable tagging and cataloging of classical music that Tidal provides.

I am kind of tweaky and had my own library tagged accurately. If you do that, there is less value to Roon. Because of that and the issues with classical music in Tidal, I discontinued Roon after a year's subscription. I could never get used to the idiosyncratic and inconsistent GUI either. YMMV.

In particular, I think it might be good for someone who likes mainly pop, rock, and such, and wants someone else to take care of the tagging.

Last edited by Mike-48; 08-05-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Crankin' Tunes

That's me!!

Amplification > Accuphase A200 (2) / C3800 > Esoteric E03
Sources > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > DirectStream Memory Player > Silenzio by -E- (via Roon/NAS) > Magnum-Dynalab > MD-108T SE / MD-205 > ClearAudio / Innovation / Universal > Lyra / Kleos
Speakers/Cables > TAD CR-1 MKII > Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement Copper (1), Gold (1)
Power > PS Audio P10 (2) / 3 dedicated lines with PowerPorts
Foundation > Rix Rax > Hoodoo / Amp Stands > Stillpoints ultra SS (8)
IC/PC > Power // Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement HC, Grand Illusion Statement > ICs // Verastarr Grand Illusion Signature XLR > Digital // Verastarr Nemesis USB
Other > Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro

Portables and Cans:

Cans > Sennheiser 800
IEMs > Westone W50, Bose QC20
Amplification > Auralic Taurus
Sources > Auralic Altair, Onkyo DP-X1
IC/SC/PC > Sennheiser Balanced / AQ Yukon XLRs / Shunyata Venom 3 (2) / Black Dragon Balanced
Old 09-11-2017, 04:18 PM
It is turned down!!!!

For those who have not yet been exposed to some of Roon's capabilities I think this video is a nice overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0fE...ature=youtu.be

AMP's: Momentum Mono's
Pre-amp: D'Agostino
Digital: Meridian 808v6 & Meridian MC200 (SooLoos)
Analog:SME 20/3 , Esoteric E-03, Benz Ruby
Speakers: Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2
Cables: Transparent Opus Speaker & Interconnects - Reference Powerlink MM2x Power
Power: Shunyata Denali