AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Paradigm

Paradigm All about the Sound

Old 06-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegiant View Post
Thank you. You guys gave me the direction I needed.
You're welcome. Just in case there was any doubt here is some data for you.

Say your speaker's efficiency rating is 90dBm. People who think they are smart will say you only need 1 Watt to hit 90 dB, but that is only if your ear is 1 m from the speaker. In your 35' long room you could be listening 6 m (20') away so according to my calculations would need 36 W to get 90 dB. Power demands go up exponentially, so to hit 100 dB you would need 360 Wpc.

No receiver is going to give you that kind of power, especially not to all 7 speakers, so that's why we said to go with separates.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the great info. Based upon your recommendations I have obtained the following:
One Anthem AVM 60 processor
One Anthem MCA 50 amp
One Anthem MCA 20 amp
One Anthem PVA 5 amp

My next question is about setting up the processor. I read a recommendation some where that I should set all the speakers to "small" during the set up process so the subwoofer will cross over on all the speakers and prevent even the main front speakers from straining and distorting because they are nearing their limit and don't have enough power. Given the equipment shown above do I need to worry about lack of power necessary to properly drive my Paradigms at their lower limits? I'm guessing I would like to keep as much bass as I can in the Paradigms and away from my older 10 inch Velodyne sub. All speakers are bi wired. My speakers are as follows:
Fronts - Studio 100 v2
Center - CC 450
Rear - Studio 40 v3
Side - ADP450
Sub - older 10 inch Velodyne
Future expansion for Atmos

Thanks
Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegiant View Post
Thanks for the great info. Based upon your recommendations I have obtained the following: One Anthem AVM 60 processor One Anthem MCA 50 amp One Anthem MCA 20 amp One Anthem PVA 5 amp My next question is about setting up the processor. I read a recommendation some where that I should set all the speakers to "small" during the set up process so the subwoofer will cross over on all the speakers and prevent even the main front speakers from straining and distorting because they are nearing their limit and don't have enough power. Given the equipment shown above do I need to worry about lack of power necessary to properly drive my Paradigms at their lower limits? I'm guessing I would like to keep as much bass as I can in the Paradigms and away from my older 10 inch Velodyne sub. All speakers are bi wired. My speakers are as follows: Fronts - Studio 100 v2 Center - CC 450 Rear - Studio 40 v3 Side - ADP450 Sub - older 10 inch Velodyne Future expansion for Atmos Thanks
Great acquisitions! Now that you have an Anthem processor you just run ARC and let it set the crossovers and speaker Config. You only need to enter the distances.

But to answer your question you normally set all speakers to "small" whenever there is a sub but you can play with the crossovers, I.e. set them low as the speaker can handle if you want. But if you just let ARC do its thing it will always sound better, especially the bass.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Took delivery Monday of a pair of eBay-snagged "customer-returned" but apparently unused (and of course discontinued) Paradigm Studio 20 v.5s for the home office system. They replace a pair of SE-1s that will land in the bedroom system.

Despite the obviously cramped quarters and the need for both break-in and better stands, the 20s get along extremely well with the c-j Sonographe SA250 when fed with mostly hi-rez (24/96 to DSD128 and DxD) downloads as well as some 16/44 rips. I've just ordered WW Eclipse jumpers from (who else?) Ivan to take them to the next level.
Main: Win 10 AMD A12 laptop, JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 3TB external drive, Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable, TEAC UD-501 DAC, upgraded SOTA Sapphire III, Origin Live Encounter Mk3c/Ortofon 2M Black, Graham Slee Era Gold V, McIntosh MR77, Oppo BDP-83, conrad johnson Premier 17LS (6922EH) & MF2500, Paradigm SE-3s. Wireworld Eclipse 7 ICs, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP SC. PS Audio Dectet, Wireworld Electra 5/2 PCs (BDP-83, PR17LS, Dectet), Hubbell HBL5362 duplex outlet. GIK standard 244 and scatter-plate 244 and Soffit traps.

Home Office: Win 10 PC/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 4TB external drive, Wireworld Solstice mini-to-RCA IC, c-j Sonographe SC-25, Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1, WW Equinox 6 IC, Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable, Shunyata Hydra PLC.

Bedroom: Win 10 i7 laptop/JRiver Media Center 22 audio player, with music fed by 4TB external USB drive connected via Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 3.0 cable; Wireworld Silver Starlight 7 USB cable to Uptone Audio ReGen via USPCB A>B Adapter; TEAC UD-501; Luminous Audio Axiom Mk. II passive preamp; c-j Sonographe SA250; stand-mounted Paradigm Studio 20 v.5s; WW Eclipse 7 ICs; Blue Jeans/Belden 5T00UP speaker cable; Blue Circle Thingee FX 0e PLC; WW Electra 5^2 power cord (from wall to PLC); PS Audio Power Port; Stillpoints Ultra Minis under laptop, UD-501, and SA250; rubber-and-cork isolators under 4TB external drive; GIK 244, 244 Scatter Plate, 224, and Monster traps; DIY 4"-thick 12"x15" traps.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:52 PM

I have two related questions:

First - what are the situations where you would use a Paradigm SA 15R-30 in lieu of a SA 15R in the ceiling?

Second - I have a large room with 12 foot ceilings and a very good Studio series 7.1 system. For the purpose of expanding to Atmos, which ceiling speakers would be better (if any)?
SA 15R
SA 15R-30
SA 30

Thank you
Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 PM

I am looking for a Paradigm Servo 15 v2 or a Signature servo. What should I look for and listen for as I examine one of these?

Thank you
Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 AM

just copy down the serial# and send an e-mail to Paradigm to see if it has been sent back for service.

they have a mountain of parts and keep fixing and nursing along there stuff...