AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 10-11-2019, 11:19 PM

Default NEW Re-issue (Russian) Tung-Sol 6SN7 in SLP98 preamp?

Has anyone here actually compared and prefer the new reissue Russian Tung Sol 6SN7 tubes over the original vintage Tung Sol version in your Cary gear? (SLI-80, SLP-98, SLP-05), others...

---------

Last edited by decooney; 10-22-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:37 AM

Looking forward to reading your review!
Old 10-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack66184 View Post
Looking forward to reading your review!
Pack66184, sure thing.

In the process of burning them in now. Some early signs of goodness.

Last edited by decooney; 11-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:23 PM

UPDATE:

I’ve been running the quad of new production re-issue Tung Sol 6SN7s in my Cary SLP-98 tube preamp for the past three days solid.
Not bad for new reissue reproduction. I like these for different reasons, for the money a real bargain and could benefit a system that is midrange shy.

-Full sound, added weight, bass. Bottom end is here immediately.
-Midrange+ is a tad forward (pro or con) depending on your speakers.
-Slightly Grainy at first during early break in, better with a little more time on them.

Last edited by decooney; 11-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 PM

Hey decooney. Glad to see you still have your 98. I am running nos rca’s in mine and am a happy camper. These were black base - I think 1960s. I want to say they were 58 each - so not crazy money. I really like them.

My system is directstream ->slp98p (direct coupled/ hexfreds and other cap upgrades) -> sunfire signature-> Maggie 20.7. Any future tube suggestions?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Hey decooney. Glad to see you still have your 98. I am running nos rca’s in mine and am a happy camper. These were black base - I think 1960s. I want to say they were 58 each - so not crazy money. I really like them.

My system is directstream ->slp98p (direct coupled/ hexfreds and other cap upgrades) -> sunfire signature-> Maggie 20.7. Any future tube suggestions?
Hey Timm, Yes Sir, this 98 aint goin' nowhere. I had the exact same RCAs you have now (in a prior rig) and like them too, a lot, and particularly for your tube pre and SS amp setup with the Maggies. I ran a similar combo and it was very nice before I went back to tube mono blocks.

Last edited by decooney; 11-11-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:57 PM

Well everything seems to be sounding swell. So no goals here. I know...sad I have no goals!! Lol. Do you leave yours in standby? I’ve been doing that for the past year. every time I think about an slp05 - I think again and say what for?
Old 10-24-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm View Post
Well everything seems to be sounding swell. So no goals here. I know...sad I have no goals!! Lol. Do you leave yours in standby? I’ve been doing that for the past year. every time I think about an slp05 - I think again and say what for?
Sounds like you've accomplished what you need and that's a financially smart place to be my brother! Don't second-guess yourself if you like the sound. Some times change is just different not always better. My buddy compared his upgraded 98 to preamps at 4x the cost up to $20k. Both of us preferred the 98s sound - music. I use standby periodically, not always.

I've tested various tubes in my preamp again recently. EH 6SN7s (ok), vintage black base long plate Sylvania 6SN7GTs (nice, resolution), Tung Sol re-issue (full, forward midrange), TJ Full Music (musical, 3D, deep soundstage). They all sound different and testing continues. With more time on the new TS reissues, sounding better than day-1.

Last edited by decooney; 11-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:56 PM

Haven't tried them in a Cary product but did in a Dennis Had Inspire tube amp. I had 16 different 6SN7 tubes and tried to compare them all. Did this over three listening sessions, taking notes. In my system and to my ears, the new Tung-sol was the worst of the lot.

I didn't want them to be the worst and I'm not prejudiced against new tubes, some of my favorite tubes are new production. With them in my amp the soundstage was flattened and sounded boxed-in. Took the joy out of the music.

Tried them three times, over a couple of months, and this was my impression each time.

I've spoken to others who liked them. I know of a high-end system which won Best in Show in a major audiophile exhibition which used several of them in both the preamp and amp.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:26 PM

Bombadil, seems to be circuit dependent, eh? I remember my DH Inspire Hot Rod came with a brand new TS 6SN7, sounded okay I'd say, and okay in my current preamp, just a different presentation, more forward, a tad harsh at times and I really have to run the preamp warm for 3+ hours. Not sure how they may sound after 100hrs burn in.

By chance was this your post on AK about $78,000 VAC amps using new Tung Sol 6SN7s? https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....#post-11965490

Last edited by decooney; 10-26-2019 at 01:22 AM.