AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 02-25-2017, 09:04 PM

Default Harbeth Day at WideScreen Audio - Ghent, Belgium

I'm spending the week working here in Belgium and that usually means an audio experience in the Brussels area with my partner. He's an avid audiophile, which makes it fun to talk about music and systems, and dangerous to get together in the presence of audio equipment for sale. Last time it was in Antwerp, and today, it was in Ghent, a small town about thirty minutes away from downtown Brussels. I'm really impressed with the range of audio dealers in and around Brussels - there seems to be an active audiophile community here.

Widescreen Audio in Ghent was having a Harbeth 40th Anniversary event, so we decided to make the drive over and have a listen. My partner/friend is a relatively recent Harbeth convert, moving from Estelon speakers which can be amazing in their detail and presentation, to the smoother sound of the Harbeth. He's on his second pair, after his first SICK office system of an Accuphase DP720, Accuphase E600 and Harbeth 30.1s - it was too difficult to get work done in the presence of that system in the office, so he's moved most of its parts home. He upgraded his Harbeths for home to the HL5+ and is, of course, eyeing the larger 40.2s.

WideScreen is a nice shop with a wide selection of equipment. See widescreenaudio.be for more information. The focus of the day was the Harbeths. We listened first to the HL5+, which was quite nice. As described by my partner, they're never going to "blow you away", but they have such a nice cohesive presentation and wonderfully smooth mid range. I also like the aesthetics of the line, although it may not be to everyone's liking (but nothing in this game is). You could listen to these speakers for a long time with the right source and not have a hint of fatigue whatsoever - quite musical and quite pleasant.

We then moved over to the Anniversary Edition of the larger 40.2, which added more body to the presentation, more bass and more of the good stuff. These aren't particularly sensitive speakers (86dB/1W/1M), but the clear winner of the day at driving them (to my ears) was the Accuphase E600. Even though only 30W/channel, the Class A power really worked well with the larger Harbeths. I think they may have benefitted from better placement/room, but sounded great considering switching out of all of the equipment, etc. I was particularly impressed with the Chord Dave DAC and the presence of TIDAL in Belgium (seems to be everywhere these days). Even though the 40.2s are smooth and non-fatiguing and so strong in the mid-range, I think they do a great job of avoiding slow and mushy - I really liked them. Particularly if considered for the sound quality to $$ ratio, Harbeths are well worth the listen for those in the market.

We had great support from Hank (owner of the shop) and his team, including Igor - the shop dog!! (see pictures below). We spent some time moving around the audio world in a conversation with Hank. Lots of wonderful music and wonderful equipment. If you're in the area, the shop is well worth the visit and if you're in the market for speakers from small desk top monitors to larger units capable of filling a good sized room, Harbeths are worth the listen.

Of course, one can't even get beyond Ivan's influence when you cross the Atlantic. I was in a conversation with a very knowledgeable customer who readily admitted his tube sickness (and the fact that he owns about 800 tubes) and when he learned I was from the states and had an Accuphase/TAD based system, he said "you know, there's some guy there named Ivan who's a dealer and operates an online forum." It was an interesting small world moment. Interesting also that the cabling seemed to be principally, if not exclusively, WireWorld.

Apologies for the bad iPhone photos. I had my nice camera at the hotel, and just totally forgot it.

weirdcuba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0774.jpg (43.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0772.JPG (86.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.JPG (83.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0778.JPG (96.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0779.JPG (83.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0780.jpg (36.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.JPG (93.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0782.JPG (83.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0783.JPG (84.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0784.JPG (55.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Weirdcuba; 02-25-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jim.......Thank you for the interesting report and fun photos. It is amusing to hear that someone half way around the globe would mention Ivan's name in a conversation. It is indeed a small world.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-26-2017, 07:15 AM
Life is beautiful

Jim, thank you for your report!
Widescreen Audio is a nice shop indeed.
Very friendly people, and art lovers.
I was there for a Avantgarde Acoustic demo a while ago, and what struck me is that they didn't use the most expensive electronics to drive the speakers.
Real world demos so to speak.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 AM

Yes, these were very "real world" demos, including moving a phono preamp around to provide enough gain for a particular cartridge, etc.

Igor (the shop dog) was the best part of the day for me. Two week trip, so I miss my dogs (and I miss my family, of course, but I really miss my dogs).

Last edited by Weirdcuba; 02-26-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:00 AM

Default Harbeth Day at WideScreen Audio - Ghent, Belgium

Great report ! Thanks a lot.
You might be interested in this if you did not read it already :
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...2-loudspeaker/
The 40.2 just became the reference speakers of Paul Seydor.
I spent about 2 years with the 40.1.
They were truly amazing and played well above their price tag. I would be curious to hear the new 40.2.
Although I am now using vintage Altec drivers, I will never forget my days with the 40.1.
My friend Paul in Canada once had them. He sold them and tried many other speakers. And he is now back with them and happier than ever.
With the good partners, a very good isolation and a good room, these big Harbeths are extremely hard to beat.
I lost some degrees of medium bliss switching from Harbeth to Altec. But I gained a more natural bass. I also lost the last octaves but I prefer the more natural bass and upper bass.
For someone who craves for very deep, punchy and colorful bass, and the probably the very best mids on earth, the 40 are the way to go without spending the price of a super car.