AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

Default MVP-861 display out after cleaning laser and belt change.

Not sure where I went wrong here. This was not brain surgery or rocket science, yet the display is now out. Everything else works as it should.

I wore my anti static band, clipped to the MVP's chassis, carefully disconnected and reconnected everything in the cleaning path. Nothing is or was left unconnected, connected backwards or incorrectly. There is just not that much to screw up.

The only thing that I did a little different was to use my small shop-vac, and crevice tool, as the inside of the 861 everywhere was filthy with lint and dust. We had a dryer vent fall off a while ago, I'm sure that is why. The laser lenses had schmutz on the optics and transport rails. The sled drawer wasn't opening and closing anymore, not without significant help

When I reassembled everything, to my surprise, the display was out completely. I've looked in the schematic, nothing stands out, unless the display itself crapped out. I called Binghamton, along with shipping, we're looking at 4-6 months before they can look at it. I don't trust my local dealers for service, or Audio Classics. This is why I began doing my own service and repair work over a decade ago.

The down side to DIY is when something like this happens.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:04 PM

I would clean the connector going to the display with De-Oxit Red and cross your fingers. That is if it is connectorized and not soldered in. Treat all the connectors if that doesn’t work.

I use canned air to blow off all the crud. A vacuum nozzle can generate static electricity due to the dust particles picking up charge as they move and then transferring that charge to the plastic vacuum nozzle. Since you were strapped in I can’t image this being an issue, but who knows.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Check with AudioClassics in Vestal, NY, not far from Binghamton, ask for Ryan. They will service McIntosh items.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I would clean the connector going to the display with De-Oxit Red and cross your fingers. That is if it is connectorized and not soldered in. Treat all the connectors if that doesn’t work.

I use canned air to blow off all the crud. A vacuum nozzle can generate static electricity due to the dust particles picking up charge as they move and then transferring that charge to the plastic vacuum nozzle. Since you were strapped in I can’t image this being an issue, but who knows.

On top of this, be sure to connect the ribbon cable going into the display
board in the exact orientation. The pins are on one side only. If it's reversed,
all the pins are as if the connector was not there.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:00 PM

^ great point but I would have thought it would be designed to only plug in one way.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 PM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

I'll DeOxit the contacts and double check the ribbon cables for correct orientation. The ribbon cables are the flexible variety, with no connectors on either end, just a ribbon with tinned, flat contacts. I suppose it is possible that static discharge from the vacuum did something in chip or display itself, but which. The display is totally dark, nothing lights up. The faceplate is OK, all the LED's for the buttons and the lighting works perfectly. It can't be that serious, everything else in the unit works 100% but I need the display working too. It's a PITA to fire up the projector or TV simply have the display information while playing music.

Keep those recommendations coming.

I checked with Ryan, the last time I spoke to them I was told they to are running several months behind. There is another reason I prefer not to send it to them, I'd rather not post it in an open forum.

Some folks might question my motivation in keeping an older multiplayer in use. There are several (to my mind) good reasons I plan to keep it.

The MVP-861 is a region-free DVD player. I own quite a few DVD's from multiple regions. Not all players (multi or otherwise) are region free and that is important to me, not to mention convenient.

It was not an inexpensive multi-player when purchased new in 2006, and neither is it's replacement. Though slightly long in the tooth, lacking BluRay ability and HDMI output, it has yet let me down in any way. Performance-wise the image quality still looks great to me. Sound quality is also excellent, in 2.0 as well as 5.1. I don't need all the latest and greatest audio formats, 7.1 surround is more than sufficient for us.

Most of my music is analog based, though I own several thousand CD's and other physical digital music. My musical focus is more vinyl than anything, which is why I upgraded my turntable before buying a newer digital player, if that makes sense.

We plan to add the MVP-891 this year now that we own sufficient BluRay content to warrant it. That said, the 861 continue will play an integral part in the Mc system, even if it eventually becomes part of a second system.

Last edited by macman007; 11-21-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:06 PM

There’s two ribbon cables going to the display board. I would remove the main board end of each and re-insert them. You may have inadvertently bumped one yet it still looks properly seated.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

Will do, sir. I'll double check the orientation of both cables as well, just to be sure. I can't imagine it is anything much, even if there is a failed part. The parts themselves are probably pretty cheap, most of the VF displays look the same ..visually anyway.

Aside from the vacuum fluorescent display itself, IIRC there is a square chip for the display, which appears to be socketed for easy removal or replacement.

I'm not sure if the display itself is soldered or socketed, haven't had to replace one ...yet..

I have a decent benchtop Hakko soldering/desoldering station, if soldering is necessary. Hopefully it's something simple I've overlooked and not part failure.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:11 PM

Default MVP-861 display out after cleaning laser and belt change.

Sounds like you already have the schematic, so I assume you have the service manual. If not and you’d like a copy, let me know. I’ll send a link.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Between 2 LARGE Speakers

Yes, I did pick up a PDF SM with schematics. I may take it to Office Depot and have it blown up to poster size if I have not made any headway.

Just got home from work. Once I'm settled I'll do everything suggested between post 2 and 9 then report back with results.

Thank you's to everyone who have posted their thoughts and tips thus far.