AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Cyril,
Great points and I agree with your perspective. I guess I just take exception to his statement that ARC is the marque to beat when it comes to tube preamps and amps...especially based on the glowing reviews the C-J ART/GAT combo received, which you remember and also asked JV about, and the fact that there are other tube manufacturers, e.g. Octave, that are doing terrific and innovative things that JV has never reviewed. One of the issues I have with TAS is they tend to review products from the same fairly small set of companies over and over again, rather than being broader in scope.

When's the last time you saw Octave gear reviewed in TAS? Or for that matter, Dynaudio?

It always seems to be Magico, Wilson, ARC, BAlabo, Wilson, Magico, Clearaudio, Soulution, Magico, PSB, and Wilson.
Stephen
What are you worried about what JV thinks about your gear as compared to something else? I think you remember how he gushed over the Magico gear at RMAF the last couple of years and most of us who heard it "there" thought it sounded very average, not very involving and bested my multiple rooms there. I question why they keep giving him good gear to review.

Jim
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM

Stephen/Jim...I place very little emphasis on reviewers' opinions about gear and pay attention largely to their description of what a piece of gear sounds like. That in combination with prior reviews I have read by the same reviewer and my auditions of said gear starts to give me a sense of whether how a reviewer describes gear matches up generally with what I hear when I audition the same gear. If it does, then I pay more attention to those reviewers for their descriptions which ultimately lets me narrow the field down to gear I might like to audition. Thare are a few reviewers whose sonic tastes coincide with mine (i.e., I have tended to like similar pieces that they have enthused about) and those reviewers I pay a little more attention to their opinions, but I am primarily interested in their description of what the equipment sounds like. The rest is superfluous and unimportant.

As for statements that item XYZ is the "best" or this is the "brand to beat," I find such statements comical.

Last edited by cmalak; 09-17-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Stephen
What are you worried about what JV thinks about your gear as compared to something else? I think you remember how he gushed over the Magico gear at RMAF the last couple of years and most of us who heard it "there" thought it sounded very average, not very involving and bested my multiple rooms there. I question why they keep giving him good gear to review.

Jim
Jim,
Actually, not worried at all. What troubles me is that TAS and Valin tend to review a rather small selection of gear compared relative to what is out there, and that selection of Marques tends to get reviewed rather frequently. Then he make proclamations about whats best based on this selection of products. How could he say that ARC is the marque to beat when it comes to tubes if he's never reviewed Octave gear, for example? Or a Viva amp?

Another example: TAS reviews a Magico, Wilson, and PSB speaker at least once every year. OTOH, when's the last time you saw a review of an Audio Note, Evolution Acoustics, or Harbeth speaker?
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 09-17-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 PM

To be fair my friend is still waiting for his Evolution speakers which he ordered almost 2 years ago.

And Harbeths, AudioNote and Dynaudio aren't really US based so perhaps getting samples to them isn't as easy. You'll find that the UK publications are usually more Euro centric brands wise as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Dynaudio has a major distribution and repair facility for North America located in Bensenville, IL. So, they about as US-based as any European company could be.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Dynaudio has a major distribution and repair facility for North America located in Bensenville, IL. So, they about as US-based as any European company could be.
I think when it comes to seeding gear to reviewers etc, there's still a difference when the bosses/top management team are close enough and know/trust the reviewer enough to ship a speaker system that costs more than most cars for months on end.

Not saying it doesn't happen. But I think regional proximity is probably why you see more US gear reviewed in US periodicals and European gear reviewed in UK periodicals
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Jim,
How could he say that ARC is the marque to beat when it comes to tubes if he's never reviewed Octave gear, for example? Or a Viva amp?

Another example: TAS reviews a Magico, Wilson, and PSB speaker at least once every year. OTOH, when's the last time you saw a review of an Audio Note, Evolution Acoustics, or Harbeth speaker?
There are a couple things here.

First, you can make that statement because it's true of a moment in time. If you had to hear everything, does that mean you'd also need to audition every Hong Kong tube amp to make the statement? To have had to audition NOS vs the ARC Sovteks?

Second, TAS is limited by which manufacturers send them equipment for review. Some do, some don't; you haven't seen a review of the latest Sony A/V receiver or Crown pro amp in TAS, either.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:50 AM

Um, from my personal experience, professional reviewers have guided me wrong 100% of the time based on their written reviews. It started with reviewer 'X', and the Marantz 63SE CD player many years ago. The consensus of many (independent) reviewers helps more. The consensus of many 'Jane Doe' equipment owners is worth the most to me.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebunny View Post
The consensus of many (independent) reviewers helps more. The consensus of many 'Jane Doe' equipment owners is worth the most to me.
So very true
Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jonathan Valin of TAS had a preview blog on the Ref 250s here: Audio Research Reference 250 Monoblock Amplifier | The Absolute Sound

In the commentary section at the bottom of the blog, I asked him to compare the CJ GAT/ART combo which he reviewed so favorably earlier in the year with the Ref 5SE/Ref 250 combo (official reviews to come in the coming months) and here is his reply:

He pretty much thinks they are both at the top of their game. If push comes to shove and he was made to pick, he would go with the ARC combo by a smidgeon but to be fair he has been a long-time ARC fan. Hope this is an interesting read for folks.

I was especially interested to read that he found the ARC combo to be a bit more tonally dense/rich than the CJ combo because the ARC sound has traditionally been more about open, airy, 3 dimensional but somewhat lean sound whereas CJ gear has been known for its tonal richness but it seems that CJ and ARC's most current offerings have been converging in terms of sonic attributes.
Cyril:

Does JV say what he's using for a source? Analog? Digital? Both? And what cartridge?

The problem might very well be that JV is using the cj TEA1bc phono with the GAT/ART combo. While good, it's not up to some other phono stages out there, particularly if you're using a low output MC. I just don't find the TEA has enough gain for even a 0.5 mV cartridge (that's in part since the ART's input sensitivity is 1.8 V compared to the LM140Ms 0.5 V). The TEA is smooth, gets lots of space and harmonics but doesn't have the low end control nor the dynamics of say other phono sections I've had in house (Valvet, Doshi, Avid, Allnic).

Let me tell you the ART/GAT with 15 ips tape or analog doesn't lack for dynamics! With tape, you're constantly turning the volume up and down because the forte sections never seem to run out of steam (the same goes for the softer end of the musical spectrum).

Nor do I think the sounds are converging at all. While the cj is less burnished, it will never be mistaken for an ARC product.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.

Last edited by Myles B. Astor; 09-18-2012 at 05:43 AM.