AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 08-11-2014, 07:35 AM

Was there a running modification to the SP3 as was done with the 4Bsst2? I believe I read on a different forum (AVS) to look for serial number 200 or greater.

Jim
Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Was there a running modification to the SP3 as was done with the 4Bsst2? I believe I read on a different forum (AVS) to look for serial number 200 or greater.

Jim
Hi Jim

The only change has been software and recently we are using a new HDMI board to allow for 4K video passthrough.

james
Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM

James,

Thank you! I did get a reply from the person who posted the comment and had to do with the remote having issues with some 3D TVs with serial number 180 or less. Bryston replaced his remote and he is a very satisfied customer.

Jim
Old 08-11-2014, 01:15 PM

Will the Dolby firmware in the SP3 be updateable to accommodate Dolby Atmos in the 5.1.2 configuration?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Will the Dolby firmware in the SP3 be updateable to accommodate Dolby Atmos in the 5.1.2 configuration?
Do not think so as engineering tells me it is a completely different chip set required for Dolby Atmos.

james
Old 08-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Ah ok. So with it being a different chipset, I assume because the SP3 is a few years old now compared to some current receivers that will be getting the firmware update, the chipsets in these more current crop of receivers must be newer? It would make sense I guess.

By the sounds of things it looks like Dolby will be replacing their Pro Logic matrix engine in favor of a new Atmos matrix engine. I assume this is also on the same chipset thus not something that could be made available to the SP3?

With the SP3 having 2 Aux outs it never occurred to me until just now, if the Dolby chipset had of been newer thus a candidate for the upgrade I suppose one could perhaps have made use of the 2 Aux outs to also do 5.1.4 or 7.1.2.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Ah ok. So with it being a different chipset, I assume because the SP3 is a few years old now compared to some current receivers that will be getting the firmware update, the chipsets in these more current crop of receivers must be newer? It would make sense I guess.

By the sounds of things it looks like Dolby will be replacing their Pro Logic matrix engine in favor of a new Atmos matrix engine. I assume this is also on the same chipset thus not something that could be made available to the SP3?

With the SP3 having 2 Aux outs it never occurred to me until just now, if the Dolby chipset had of been newer thus a candidate for the upgrade I suppose one could perhaps have made use of the 2 Aux outs to also do 5.1.4 or 7.1.2.
WE are going to look at options but it seems to be a moving target at this point.

james
Old 08-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Sounds like a smart plan. The 1st gen receivers all seem to be gimped in some form so it will be interesting to see what might change in a year, the actual chips themselves may need to change after the first products hit the market and consumer feedback starts coming in.

Also dts can't be far behind with their object based solution thus another series of chips for that would most likely be needed. On one side, if they aren't abandoning their current matrix engine (dts Neo:X) like Dolby is doing then it may be a more straight forward upgrade.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:19 AM

James

A final observation. Yesterday, I listened for several hours (most of the day, actually) and compared a Benchmark DAC2, as an analog input, to the SP3 using a digital source (Squeezebox Touch). There really was no difference in the quality of the sound. The SP3 sounded just fine, compared to a $2,000 DAC. The SP3 is fantastic. The Benchmark is going back. Well done, Bryston.

I wonder if the BDA-2 would be a significant improvement on the SP3 two channel performance?

Jim B.
Wilmette, IL.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
I wonder if the BDA-2 would be a significant improvement on the SP3 two channel performance?

Jim B.
Wilmette, IL.
Go to the avsforum.com site and look for the Official Bryston SP3 thread. Ask this question on that site as several members have both the SP3 and the BDA-2.