AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-16-2021, 06:51 AM

Default Bulding first Mcintosh system, advice is welcomed.

Hi,
As I was a teenagers, I was about to build a new home theater at that time C39 has just been released. I was about to get it I collected lots of Mc catalogs pr brochures. But in the last minute Proceed released PAV processor which I steered to that instead.
Not long before that I was about to get MC7300 and again something turned me away from it to get Accuphase P360 instead.
So until now the dream of owning Mc has not come true yet.
With all the brochures that I have it make me more familiar with 90’s Mc more than models older, and those were products under Clarion management right ?

The questions todays are.
I want this Mc system just for the look of them and for a casual FM listening.

1. Should I try to find some vintage like MA6200, C33+2255 …. Or something from the nineties such as MC7300,MC300.. even up to C46.
2. Or should I just get the latest one such as MAC7200,C49+MR87+462 ? For more peace of mind
Regarding reliability.

How does the sound evolved over times ? Are the current models loss some of the Mcintosh-ness, sonically ?
One thing I feel is that the back light of the LED backlight and fiberoptic era is a little too intense too digital-ish to my eyes. Also the dot matrix displays.

Thanks
Toga
Old 08-16-2021, 09:55 AM

Mac7200.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:04 PM
Retired

Unless you have good local service for vintage gear it would be the MAC7200 with the DA2 module (which I'm thinking of myself). Classic McIntosh looks, 200wpc, built-in AM/FM and their latest digital module.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-16-2021, 10:38 PM

TOGA-

Glenn has said it well with vintage equipment
The 7200 looks like a great one box solution to what you are looking for.

If you really desire a retro look, consider a new 275 tube amp, & C22 preamp. These are modern current production (vintage & retro look) without the vintage unknowns. The current tuner with its dial scale will add to this look. Then there is the bigger than big blue meter crowd that feels defines Mc at its best.

In the end it's all up to your particular set of circumstances and the final listen/comparison. The 7200 is looking pretty good and pragmatic to boot.

Enjoy the Hunt!
Old 08-16-2021, 11:18 PM

Thanks guys.
Yeah there are local services. But what I found is that the
Prices of those vintage are not cheap at all.
I found C33+2255 for $5000 and one C2200 for $4000.
Actually C49 +312+87 are within reach. Or even a simpler 87+5300.
As I said I felt the blue meter of current model are very blue, hue has changed a lot compared to the old days Mc’s. I will keep looking, the hardest part is Mc make so many many products over the years. I want something that I can keep for a long time.

Thanks.

Last edited by TOGA; 08-17-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:39 AM
Retired

The vintage blue is achieved by using a blue 'gel' (plastic) in front of the bulbs that light the meters. New gear blue is from LEDs. The gel fades over the years. There are many kits for changing the old bulbs to modern LEDs. Fresh gel brings the vintage blue back.

Also, starting with the MC352, the McIntosh "house sound" started moving to something described as more "modern". From the "warmer" sound of vintage gear to the modern "detailed" sound of today. You may wish to audition both if you have the opportunity.

Also, there is likely little difference other than the nice dial on the MR87 and the tuner module in the MA7200. I'll guess that they are both based on the same "radio on a chip" IC module inside. For the best reception & SQ from a McIntosh tuner you would be better off with a refurbished MR74.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 08-17-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:49 AM

Hi, finally.
I got C2200 with faulty display, do you know what may have caused this anomaly? That diagonals lines were lit permanently on all digits of the display.
Tomorrow expect to pick up 2102 amp.
Running out of budget, so old Technics ST-8080 will serve as tuner for a little while.
MR87 has been in the market for very long, not sure new model gonna come soon ?IMG_3014.jpgIMG_2279.jpg
Old 08-17-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Hi, finally.
I got C2200 with faulty display, do you know what may have caused this anomaly? That diagonals lines were lit permanently on all digits of the display.
Tomorrow expect to pick up 2102 amp.
Running out of budget, so old Technics ST-8080 will serve as tuner for a little while.
MR87 has been in the market for very long, not sure new model gonna come soon ?Attachment 65146Attachment 65147
Toga, it took me four months to acquire an MR87 tuner about a year ago. The unit has digital tuning and an A/D converter with excellent specs. While some may disagree, I believe it to be about one step below the Accuphase tuner which is the absolute reference. I pull in a huge number of stations with mine. However, I never use it except during the Christmas holidays. I would be surprised if Mac produced a new model in the near future. The MR87 employs digital tuning and is not identical to the MR88 as many think. It has a different display and capabilities. Other than the MR88 it is the only Mac tuner that digitizes and processes the analog FM signal. I have been very pleased with my MR87. But I'm not into FM. I previously owned an MR85 and prior to that a MR7082 and prior to that an MR80. By far and away the MR87 is the superior of other Mac tuners because digital tuning improves distortion, sensitivity, and selectivity both adjacent and alternate.

Having owned an MR80 for about 5 years about 35 years ago I still remember the unit well. The Narrow and Super Narrow produced deleterious easily audible effects and I never used them. The four presets wandered to the point I sent the unit back to Mac but this did not solve this problem. I found the sonics of the MR7082 superior to the MR80 on a good typical FM station.

The MR87 is the only Mac tuner I have been 100% happy with.

Best

Charles
Old 08-17-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Toga, it took me four months to acquire an MR87 tuner about a year ago. The unit has digital tuning and an A/D converter with excellent specs. While some may disagree, I believe it to be about one step below the Accuphase tuner which is the absolute reference. I pull in a huge number of stations with mine. However, I never use it except during the Christmas holidays. I would be surprised if Mac produced a new model in the near future. The MR87 employs digital tuning and is not identical to the MR88 as many think. It has a different display and capabilities. Other than the MR88 it is the only Mac tuner that digitizes and processes the analog FM signal. I have been very pleased with my MR87. But I'm not into FM. I previously owned an MR85 and prior to that a MR7082 and prior to that an MR80. By far and away the MR87 is the superior of other Mac tuners because digital tuning improves distortion, sensitivity, and selectivity both adjacent and alternate.

Having owned an MR80 for about 5 years about 35 years ago I still remember the unit well. The Narrow and Super Narrow produced deleterious easily audible effects and I never used them. The four presets wandered to the point I sent the unit back to Mac but this did not solve this problem. I found the sonics of the MR7082 superior to the MR80 on a good typical FM station.

The MR87 is the only Mac tuner I have been 100% happy with.

Best

Charles
Thanks a lot for a nice opinion about MR87. I want to have a
full Mc look on this system, so cannot do T1200 from Accuphase.
I don't need the capability of tuning a very far away stations. I live
in the city and stations are all in the city too. I have only 3 favourite
stations.

Toga
Old 08-18-2021, 12:38 PM

Ok
Stage I done. But must repair bad display later.

Next is MR87.

IMG_3150.jpgIMG_3136.jpg