AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-29-2019, 08:49 PM

Default C70 Discussions: Owners and Perspective Owners

Thought I would start a new thread specifically for the C70 with the hope to keep questions, answers and discussions in a single thread. The goal being to help those interested in the C70 have an initial place to look for answers or ask questions from those of us who who have one.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 PM

Default Remote Control Setup

Good news. I found the way to allow two similar devices like the C47 and D1100 to coexist in the same rack with the same HR085 remote.
  1. On the D1100 press and hold the input button to enter the setup options
  2. Rotate the input knob till the display shows IR Codes
  3. Use the volume knob to set the value to "alternate codes"
  4. Pick up the HR095 that came with the D1100
  5. Press and hold the SELECT+McIntosh buttons for 8 seconds
  6. The red led will blink twice.
The C70 will not respond to the alternate codes sent by the D1100 remote and vise versa
Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 PM

Default D1100 Meter Calibration

Adding a small section on the D1100 for those who might like to have a completely separate DAC. This is a repost from another thread.

Since most modern music will keep the meters on the D100 pegged all the time I calibrated an offset into the them. The procedure I used:
  1. Play a 1kHz sine wave reference to a known operating level. In this case it was -14 from the Mobile Fidelity test CD
  2. Set the volume control to 100% on the D1100. Be sure you are using the fixed outputs on the D1100 at this point.
  3. Set the meter source on the D100 to variable. At this point the meter should show around -14 and in my case it does. If you elect another level like -18 the meter will show this level instead
  4. Choose your offset value. In my case I set the volume to 68% showing a value of around -30 on the meter

As of the posting of this entry, 68% continues to be a good setting for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 PM

Default General Operation

1. Currently run the C47 with tone controls engaged but set to flat
  2. When making changes to most controls, there appears to be a very quick fade out / in while the function is engaged. Perhaps not a complete mute, but it is noticeable.
  3. When turning on it takes about 16 seconds for the unit to become 100% ready to play audio.
  4. Currently set to turn off after 30 minutes. This is a switch on the back of the unit that can disable the auto turn off. An alternate method to keep the C70 from turning off is to make sure you feed it an audio signal but keep the volume turned down when not listening.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Volume Control

The C70 has 8 volume control LEDS that turn red as the volume goes up. Here are some operational notes when using the remote control.
  1. If the volumes is all the way down with 1 led lit - pressing the volume up button will immediately move the indicator to the led 2
  2. After this, between LED 2 and 8 there it takes about 12 individual presses of the volume control up button to go to the next LED

LED 1 --> PRESS 1 --> LED 2 --> PRESS 12 --> LED 3 --> PRESS 12 --> LED 4

...and so on until the volume is maxed out. There may be some variation in this, but it seems 12 presses is about right. The LED will also flash ever so slightly with each press of the volume key. I find for most of my listening about LED 5 or the 12 o'clock position is works well.

Also of note, 8 LEDS translates to 96 volume levels although I can not account for 12 being in the 1st LED and where the missing 4 steps might be. It takes a few days to get use to it but once you do volume control is not an issue I thought it might be at first.

Last edited by med_designer; 01-29-2019 at 09:14 PM.