AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 02-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Question Horizontal Bi-Amping ? ....

I'd like to use two 911's as monos on the CR-1's but I would prefer they be the same vintage sound-wise for left and right channels. If my current 911 does not sell, can I add another new(er) amp to horizontally bi-amp them and use one amp for the highs and one amp for the lows so each speaker receives the same quality of sound? Both speakers would utilize both amps instead of using a new amp for one channel and an approx. three year old amp for the other channel. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM

The thing with Horizontal Bi-amping is when you dedicate one amp for the lows and another for the hi freq. the amps for the lows is doing much of the work and the amp for the hi freq. is coasting along and can sound different. I prefer to Vertical biamp as each amp sees the same load.....see pic below

Just my 2 cents and what I have experienced doing the Bi-amp thing.....also I think the pay off is not worth it at times compared to doing mono blocks or a more powerful amp perhaps. Its a YMMV thing for sure.

Last edited by Removed; 03-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the advice. I know you are correct. I don't feel right about using one new amp and one older amp even though it might be fine. I think I may have a deal to move my 911 and replace it with two new ones Thanks!!! Stay tuned
Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Perhaps speaking directly with Burmester could guide you better in what direction to go in.....
Old 07-28-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
I prefer to Vertical biamp as each amp sees the same load.....
+1

Vertical biamp shares the load on the power supply of each amp more evenly.

With Dart is not the case as 108 is a true dual mono design back to the AC inlet. BUT, you can still use the vertical biamp to shorten your speaker cables, which IMO is always beneficial.

I have once tried to power my speakers with a jumper cables only (5 inches long), made of the same cable as my speaker cables, and the improvement I got was immense.

On the other hand, I do not hear much difference between 1m and 2m interconnects.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:50 AM

Joe, see also my thread below:
Input Sensitivity Power Amplifiers
Old 07-28-2012, 07:09 AM

Thanks Massimo,

Great info as usual. I am starting to adopt a simpler is better philosophy, maybe because I'm getting lazy
Old 07-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
The thing with Horizontal Bi-amping is when you dedicate one amp for the lows and another for the hi freq. the amps for the lows is doing much of the work and the amp for the hi freq. is coasting along and can sound different. I prefer to Vertical biamp as each amp sees the same load.....

I always thought the same thing and someone brought up a point that I had not thought of... it might depend on where you cross.

I actively biamp. I also go vertical however I have also gone horizontal when I mixed a tube amp with a SS.

My LF crossover point is 450hz and my HF crossover point is 380hz (factory recommendations). I've been told that because of that I have a more balanced power distribution. Had I crossed at 1Khz/other then it would be skewed to the LF channel I suppose.

I don't know all the technical stuff, just adding a different view on what I would have originally stated myself (and had).
Old 07-28-2012, 08:45 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I'm horizontally triamped with 3 stereo 911's I can just tell you the end result is simply divine.

If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 07-28-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coytee View Post
I always thought the same thing and someone brought up a point that I had not thought of... it might depend on where you cross.

I actively biamp. I also go vertical however I have also gone horizontal when I mixed a tube amp with a SS.

My LF crossover point is 450hz and my HF crossover point is 380hz (factory recommendations). I've been told that because of that I have a more balanced power distribution. Had I crossed at 1Khz/other then it would be skewed to the LF channel I suppose.

I don't know all the technical stuff, just adding a different view on what I would have originally stated myself (and had).
With an active crossover you must follow these two rules:

1) For the low and high pass frequency is advisable to stay one octave away from the internal speaker crossover;

2) Set an attenuation for more sensitive amp (usually tube technology) with the formula for tensions ratios:

Att(dB) = 20 * Log10(V1/V2)

Where V1 and V2 are the input sensitivity of the two power amplifiers. It isn't important the role of V1 and V2, what it changes is only the sign of the logarithm.