AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . UTTER

. . . . . . . . .

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 03-15-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post
I love it when individuals spout off about what they've read and make a general assumption. The foundation of his argument is flawed,.. but seriously flawed.

The thrust of this article is aimed at 'audiophiles' who diss product designers and recording engineers. His sort for the 'veracity' of his statement comes from comments on Facebook and such.

I'm sorry, but those comment are from self-proclaimed audiophiles and not necessarily audiophiles per se. Just becomes someone owns a unit that generates sound and has a pair of speakers that project the sound doesn't make that person and 'audiophile'....

Like any other 'professional' an audiophile has spent the majority of his/her life learning about 'audio'. They have a 'refined' ear.. they know a large quantity of products and brands.. they have, dare I say.. "experience".. and have earned the RIGHT to be nit-picky about what they hear and how it sounds... people who listen to background music, and we all do that, and never stop to appreciate the music are far.. very very very very very very far from being audiophiles... even if they say they love MUSIC....

I enjoy music. I enjoy a 'good' system,.. yes good here is relative to me.. I accept that.. I accept that what I consider 'good' may not be considered 'good' by someone else. An audiophile respects the opinions of another audiophile, even though they may radically disagree....

It is ironic, that the author shows a picture of a Wilson Audio Alexandra speaker as an example... I seriously doubt that even the harshest audiophile would say that that speaker is "not" enjoyable to listen to..

It goes with ole addage, "if you don't know what you are talking about... baffle 'em with bullshit"...

Pardon my language......
Sorry Rock. do you think that the comments on a website like this are any more valid than where he picked his from. In think not.

Jim
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Sorry Rock. do you think that the comments on a website like this are any more valid than where he picked his from. In think not.

Jim
OK Jim where did the author get his numbers and statistics from? Come to think about it, there weren't any. What a surprise. Why let facts get in the way of a good story????

C'mon this piece is a total joke! Talk about shades of Woody Allen and stereotypes. But what did the author really add to the news? All he did is rehash some old crap that has been repeated over and over again w/o any numbers, just anectodal reports. You and I know that anectodal reports would be published in any respected journal.You and I know that we are in an industry (like fitness too) where if a myth is repeated a million times, it becomes fact. So it is with audiophiles

No the real problem is those AES members who sit in their ivory tower and have done NOTHING who pass judgement on the high end industry; obviously this author is one of their sycophants as are the writers for magazines like Sound and No Vision. No, it's people like Julian Hirsch that have set the audio industry decades with his idiocy. But on other hand, we do have people like Julian and his ilk to thank for pushing JGH to found Stereophile magazines.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.

Last edited by Myles B. Astor; 03-14-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
OK Jim where did the author get his numbers and statistics from? Come to think about it, there weren't any. What a surprise. Why let facts get in the way of a good story????

C'mon this piece is a total joke! Talk about shades of Woody Allen and stereotypes. But what did the author really add to the news? All he did is rehash some old crap that has been repeated over and over again w/o any numbers, just anectodal reports. You and I know that anectodal reports would be published in any respected journal.You and I know that we are in an industry (like fitness too) where if a myth is repeated a million times, it becomes fact. So it is with audiophiles

No the real problem is those AES members who sit in their ivory tower and have done NOTHING who pass judgement on the high end industry; obviously this author is one of their sycophants as are the writers for magazines like Sound and No Vision. No, it's people like Julian Hirsch that have set the audio industry decades with his idiocy. But on other hand, we do have people like Julian and his ilk to thank for pushing JGH to found Stereophile magazines.
The author was posting in a or his Blog, not writing a news article. Where in his post does it require statistics or backing facts? There is not one paragraph that I read that required a footnote or back-up data. The only point I may question is his assumption that "Elitist attitudes" in paragraph one are actually hampering "the growth" of the audio market noted in paragraph two.

I agree that there is a Elitist attitude prevalent across boards, in audio stores and at events such as RMAF. I will generalize here but it usually goes something like this, if it was made anywhere in Asia other than Japan, or in Central or Eastern Europe the quality is suspect. If it was made by a large company (B&W, Wilson, McIntosh) it is not really audiophile.

What myths is he perpetuating? The fact that vinyl is growing yet irrelevant when it comes to sales dollars or units sold. That for most people the portability and convenience of digital outweighs any perceived benefits of vinyl sound quality.

Maybe it is the myth that we could design gear that would sound better than Company A or engineer a record that would sound better and still please Artist B. I may have opinions about the end results but I am not that delusional.

I do not see anywhere in his post where he agrees with the premise that all gear that measures the same will sound the same so I am not sure where your Julian Hirsch comments are relevant.

Jim
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
And I absolutely disagree with that.

and I absolutely disagree with your 'absolutely' ! .......bottom line, there ALOT of 'so-called' audiophiles that are certifiable whack jobs and if you don't believe then continue to live in denial !!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463

and I absolutely disagree with your 'absolutely' ! .......bottom line, there ALOT of 'so-called' audiophiles that are certifiable whack jobs and if you don't believe then continue to live in denial !!
One of the nice things about Audio Aficionado is the fact that we refrain from personal attacks on each other.

Somehow, this thread is beginning to suck!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice

One of the nice things about Audio Aficionado is the fact that we refrain from personal attacks on each other.

Somehow, this thread is beginning to suck!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Words of Wisdom Julian !

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
FYI my reply WAS NOT a personal attack, I suppose you think I should have prefaced it with 'I respectfully'........gee whiz, get a grip !

again......while the 'audiophile' community is mostly made up of good upstanding individuals there is also a contingent of 'audiofools' within......yes ??
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
FYI my reply WAS NOT a personal attack, I suppose you think I should have prefaced it with 'I respectfully'........gee whiz, get a grip !

again......while the 'audiophile' community is mostly made up of good upstanding individuals there is also a contingent of 'audiofools' within......yes ??
Julian was reacting to the shrillness, as am I. Lighten up and we will be more persuaded. As it happens, I agree with you that there is a contingent of audiofools.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Lack of respect is rampant all across the globe on all subjects, not just audiophilia.

--> The article has some valid and less valid points.

* What 'bout you James; what do you think?