AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Both sides count among them parties or individuals that are guilty as charged...from "laws of physics defying" ignorants to downright "snake oil" frauds and everything in between.

Personally I don't care much for the moniker "Audiophile"...I don't even know what it means or what it stands for.

I would like to believe that for the most part, people with integrity and passion are combining a love for music with a business...because at the end of the day...it is a business.

With regard to the elitists...."what goes around comes around" and it is best to ignore them if you are offended by their attitude...hey...it is a free world remember.

The tone of the article is a little on the whining side...and the suggestion that audiophiles should support the business is too ridiculous for words....kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Innovate, change your business model, offer value propositions that customers want.

...as the old adage goes "we customers vote with our wallets".

If the majority is happy with MP3...no doubt someone will cater for those who prefer recordings with dynamics.

If you cannot find your audience or market, even if it is a niche market..you shouldn't be in business.
I agree with what you're saying. There is too much satisfaction from both sides that their opinions are totally correct. It's the old normal curve at work again. The majority of us are somewhere in the middle.

Most things can have an effect on the sound, but not everything, and when they do have an effect, it's usually (except for the room/speaker combo) minor, and not the usual crap of: "It blew me away!" a phrase which should be banned.

I find this exaggeration of every subtle, and often hard to hear, difference as annoying as anyone who says that nothing makes a difference.

I used to design professional audio equipment years ago, so I come from both sides of the equation. But I can say that there's a very good reason why it's called "psycoacustics".
Old 03-24-2012, 04:08 PM

So much for that dumb ass article in CE Pro about audiophiles hating music. Here's the results of a small poll (44 participants) at another high-end audio website on audiophile's music buying habits.

25% buy 20-50 albums/CDs/tapes/year
27% buy 50-100 albums/CDs/tapes/year
36% buy >100+ albums/CDs/tapes/year!!!!!

That's a lot of software and certainly it's not all audiophile approved albums! That's not supporting the industry? Gimme a break.

Now there are some real stats for that author to choke on instead of dropping dumb innuendos and repeating ages old stereotypes. It seems that high-end audio is one of those scenes (like fitness for another) where if something is repeated a million times, even if it's totally wrong, it becomes fact.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Perhaps we should have our own poll to see how many albums AA members buy a year. Would you be able to copy the question and options from the other forum and post a poll here on AA, Myles?
Source: Playback Designs MPS-5, Micro-Seiki BL99V, MA505 Mk2, Lyra Dorian, Denon 103D, RCM Sensor Phono Stage. Amplification: Cary SLP-05 pre, Cary CAD-211AE, SGR EL30S power, Marchand XM44. Speakers: Acapella High Violon, JL Audio F110 subwoofer pair. Pictures here
Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
Perhaps we should have our own poll to see how many albums AA members buy a year. Would you be able to copy the question and options from the other forum and post a poll here on AA, Myles?
Yes was thinking of doing something like that. I don't see why it couldn't be done!
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Ah hell, I don't keep count.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac View Post
Ah hell, I don't keep count.
Thank you. This is the first post, in a very interesting thread, that made me laugh!
BEDROOM: Naim Uniti Atom, Nordost Cables, Harbeth P3ESR
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor
So much for that dumb ass article in CE Pro about audiophiles hating music. Here's the results of a small poll (44 participants) at another high-end audio website on audiophile's music buying habits.

25% buy 20-50 albums/CDs/tapes/year
27% buy 50-100 albums/CDs/tapes/year
36% buy >100+ albums/CDs/tapes/year!!!!!

That's a lot of software and certainly it's not all audiophile approved albums! That's not supporting the industry? Gimme a break.

Now there are some real stats for that author to choke on instead of dropping dumb innuendos and repeating ages old stereotypes. It seems that high-end audio is one of those scenes (like fitness for another) where if something is repeated a million times, even if it's totally wrong, it becomes fact.
I checked that forum poll today. The stats are from a forum with less than 2500 members, and only 48 people responsed to the poll question.

Hardly numbers to choke on. ;-)
Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahG View Post
I checked that forum poll today. The stats are from a forum with less than 2500 members, and only 48 people responsed to the poll question.

Hardly numbers to choke on. ;-)
I said it was a small poll -- but what you are leaving out is that it's a serious group of audiophiles.

I don't think the early results here are proving the other poll wrong.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
I said it was a small poll -- but what you are leaving out is that it's a serious group of audiophiles.

I don't think the early results here are proving the other poll wrong.
You are quite right Myles; so far they are very similar.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:49 PM

Now isn't that a surprise audiophiles purchase music. And all the time I thought we just liked to look at our gear.

Jim