AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmac View Post
Would this be advantageous to use with a pre-amp?

I wonder if that would add detail to all components.
Great question Bob, at first I would think no, on a preamp, but George has had success as he mentions here, maybe worth a try!
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 AM

^ Yes, George, does your power supply power both, or do you have two?

Have you experienced just one without the other?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 PM

If you are in a market for an external PS, I highly recommend the ones made in Israel by Teddy Pardo. They can be bought factory direct:

TeddyPardo

Those PS are not based on a regular chip (and cheap !) voltage regulators like 99% of the extrernal PS, but rather use a discrete Super Regulator for superior performance.

The following graph shows the noise level measurements of the original wall wart power supply (red line), an alternative power supply based on a Liner Regulator (blue line), and the Teddy Pardo power supply (black line). The brown line is a zero Volt reference which is actually the measurement equipment internal noise. As can be seen the Teddy Pardo power supply noise level is very close to the zero Volt reference.

Those PSUs can be ordered in variety of output voltages, from 5 to 18V, to suit any dac/phono etc eqipped with the el cheapo wall wart PSU.

I have tried one of those PSUs on the Arcam rDAC - which is a very good budget DAC costing $500. Adding the Teddy Pardo PSU (~$400) literally transformed the DAC, making it competitive with the best $1000 units. The low noise PSU added smoothnes, resolution, soundstage depth and 'you are there' feeling which was almost scary.

I have a number of friends that bought Teddy Pardo PSU for variety of DC powered devices - from phono stages to USB/SPDIF converters, and they all reported similar findings.

I just cannot recommend this component highly enough !

PS. There is a review of the Teddy Pardo PSU:

http://www.teddypardo.com/images/rDac.pdf (original review)
english translation
Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Seems they make units for specific equipment, or am I not understanding?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM

All PSUs are the same, only the output voltage varies (it is internally adjustable). Sometimes also the supplied connector is different.

They have some ready 'packages', but you can order those PSUs for any DC voltage you need, in 5-18V range. I belive that my rDAC PSU was the first ever made by Teddy (came with the right DC connector the first time), and now it is beeing offered along other PSUs.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 PM

I will get my new MCRU Lurcher power supply for my Technics SL1200 tomorrow.
TT:Technics SL-1200 MKII,Herbie's Mat,Oyaide MJ-12 mat and Vantage copper mat,Oyaide headshell,Furutech Monza,Isonoe Isolation Feet,Isodek IF-2 base | Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 | RCM: Loricraft PRC4 | Amps: EAR 868L Preamp,Transcription Audio 211 SET,Bob Carver Cherry 180 | CD: Ear Yoshino Acute | Tuner:Magnum Dynalab 90T | Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII,Townshend Super Tweeters,Transcription Audio Speakers
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber View Post
I will get my new MCRU Lurcher power supply for my Technics SL1200 tomorrow.
Let us know what you think!
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM

^ x 2.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Greg - I just received my Squeezebox Touch back from Bolder Cables. Owners of the Touch would be absolutely amazed at the difference an upgraded linear power supply makes to the sound of the unit (both analog and digital out) over the stock switching little wall-wart power supply that it comes with!

I'll be writing up my impressions of my modified Touch with the new PS once I have broken it in...
I have a Touch connected via Toslink into my Dac. I've been pleased with the sound, but always interested in finding improvements. So, I'd very interested in hearing your impressions of your modded Touch now that you've had it for a few days.

Did you do both analog and digital plus the power supply? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuz1

I have a Touch connected via Toslink into my Dac. I've been pleased with the sound, but always interested in finding improvements. So, I'd very interested in hearing your impressions of your modded Touch now that you've had it for a few days.

Did you do both analog and digital plus the power supply? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I am also interested. My Touch is one of the main sources to my system.
C2300 (Telefunkin Smooth plates); MC275 (Shuguang Treasure KT88 & Psvane signal); Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M; JL F112; Clearaudio Concept MC; Oppo BDP-93; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall dac23.5 (Burson Op amps, Mundorf & Multicaps, Vampire RCA jacks, Amperex White label 6922); Wireworld Silver Electra PC's, IC's, & SC's; HiFi Tuning