AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM
What?

Default External Power Supply

I have always been fascinated with the extreme examples of dedicating a power supply to an additional device or box. ASR Emitter power supply comes to mind..

I recently added an external power supply to my Caylx 24/192 32 bit Dac. I waited until it was reviewed in 6Moons to make a decision whether or not to bother. All I can say is I am a believer, it is amazing the difference. You don't have to break the bank to make a SIGNIFICANT difference.

Edit - been listening all day in shuffle mode, so hitting many tunes I am very familiar with. The music never sounded like this, wow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0560.JPG (71.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.JPG (75.4 KB, 38 views)
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg

Last edited by gtubes; 03-01-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Greg.......Same here, but with a turntable. I read enough about the speed stability improvements using the Never Connected design external power supply with my Michell Gyro SE that I bought it to start with, rather than upgrade at a later date. I am very pleased with its performance.

Of course, the fully independent dual channel C1000C external power controller on my McIntosh C1000P preamplifier is an incredible engineering accomplishment, too.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-06-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
The Architect

Greg - great post, and I am also on board with the fact that an upgraded power supply can make a huge difference. I just received my Squeezebox Touch back from Bolder Cables. Owners of the Touch would be absolutely amazed at the difference an upgraded linear power supply makes to the sound of the unit (both analog and digital out) over the stock switching little wall-wart power supply that it comes with!

I'll be writing up my impressions of my modified Touch with the new PS once I have broken it in...
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-01-2012, 01:02 PM
What?

Dan, great idea actually for a TT. And the mc1000c was also on my mind when I wrote this thread.

Jeff, absolutely let us know how you make out with the Squeezebox, interesting.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc602 View Post
I have always been fascinated with the extreme examples of dedicating a power supply to an additional device or box. ASR Emitter power supply comes to mind..

I recently added an external power supply to my Caylx 24/192 32 bit Dac. I waited until it was reviewed in 6Moons to make a decision whether or not to bother. All I can say is I am a believer, it is amazing the difference. You don't have to break the bank to make a SIGNIFICANT difference.
Greg +1 amazed

I was keen on hearing the Calyx external power supply but spending $450 on power upgrade on an $1800 DAC I wasn't exactly so keen... so I wanted to hear for myself and I took a friend with me who knows nothing about audio to nod in the right places and make me feel better about buying a plain black box.

Every time we switched over to the CLPS it was just night and day... extra weight and authority (the bass just took on a new life), reduced noise floor and the separation of instruments is much more fleshed out... the Calyx swapped out from having an elegant, rhythmic, detailed kind of sound (if ever so slightly dry presentation) to being so much more confident with real drive and deep fundamentals and with the mids much better supported and sweeter... it was like it grew an extra pair of you know whats... my friend looked at me totally shocked by the difference an external supply could make... I was a bit too... we agreed that it made so much sense and saves upgrading to another DAC... I walked away with the equivalent of a major component upgrade and a sympathetic shopping buddy to boot.

There is not so much difference between mid and high end DACs IMO so where did all this extra sound quality come from... I'm also starting to think that with DACs that there is so much performance lost because the inherent noise of digital electronics that it makes power supply isolation so critical and that a way forward is with external power supplies... a phenomenal and surprising gain Making allowance for the whole varying milage thing an external supply for digital is worth a listen if a linear PSU is an option for your DAC.

Last edited by audiot servant; 03-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
What?

Graham,

I understand your point about spending more money on top of the Dac cost. Interestingly enough Caylx will be including this same power supply (I believe), with all units shipped moving forward in 2012.

I have you to thank for chasing it, you recommended it to me some time ago!

Greg
Old 03-05-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
Greg - great post, and I am also on board with the fact that an upgraded power supply can make a huge difference. I just received my Squeezebox Touch back from Bolder Cables. Owners of the Touch would be absolutely amazed at the difference an upgraded linear power supply makes to the sound of the unit (both analog and digital out) over the stock switching little wall-wart power supply that it comes with!

I'll be writing up my impressions of my modified Touch with the new PS once I have broken it in...
Add me to the list of believers. I've been using a Bolder PS for my Duet for a few years now. There were many naysayers that didn't think it would make much of a difference. I find that the background is much quieter and it really helped in tightening up the bass.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM

Would this be advantageous to use with a pre-amp?

I wonder if that would add detail to all components.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc602 View Post
Graham,

I understand your point about spending more money on top of the Dac cost. Interestingly enough Caylx will be including this same power supply (I believe), with all units shipped moving forward in 2012.

I have you to thank for chasing it, you recommended it to me some time ago!
Greg - It was one of the best DACS under the Playback Designs, Weiss and Berkely level before the upgrade... now between the 24/196 (even though it does 32/196???) with its new linear power supplies and their new reference DAC (think that it's called the femtoDAC) they are having a go about getting to the next level at Calyx... really good you found going to external supplies a great outcome as well... I figure I can now happily put off any thoughts of upgrading the DAC for some time... at least till maybe the next gen DSD units are out in a couple of years.

Graham

Last edited by audiot servant; 03-05-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:33 PM

I'm also a huge fan of external power supplys as both my Pre-amp and DAC has them.