AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 03-16-2021, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up Review of C53-MCT500 in TAS

An alert to let folks know that Paul Seydor has written a very favorable review of the C53 Preamp and the MCT500 SACD/CD Transport as a combination in the latest issue of The Abso!ute Sound (April 2021, Issue No. 315). In the article, he emphasized the use and his listening observations of the DA2 modular DAC in the C53. Many here should find the review of great interest.

Subscribers of the carbohydrate-based and electronic versions should have access to the review at this time. If TAS follows form, they should being posting the review on their web site in ~ 1 month.

Have fun!

Bob
Sources: ClearAudio Jubilee MC/ClearAudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic. L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 03-16-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:21 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

It's a nice review!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:19 PM

I enjoyed the review. No-nonsense. No BS. Wish one could say the same about the rest of the mag.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:50 PM

I have owned my C53 for about 6 months and I love it. I also have on order since late January, a MCT500 which is on back order from the factory. I was very happy to read the review with favorable results. I have a Oppo 205 that I was using for sacd playback, but I wasn’t getting the higher dsd file for playback, so I am looking forward to finally hearing the full potential of sacd’s in my system. I will keep everyone posted when the MCT500 arrives and let you know my thoughts.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:18 PM

Below is the link to the TAS review of the C53 and MCT500. I have been using an MCT500 coupled to a C2700/DA2 for over a year and, overall, I am very pleased with their performance together.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...d-cd-transport

Enjoy!

Bob
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic; L’Art du Son CD treatment.

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 05-05-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:21 AM

Nice review and I have to agree that Mc shouldn't have removed the tape/processor loop. Accuphase still puts a loop in their gear, why not Mc? I understand that the average person picking up an A/V receiver has no idea what a processor loop is, but chances are if you're buying a Mc you know and probably want one.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I have owned my C53 for about 6 months and I love it. I also have on order since late January, a MCT500 which is on back order from the factory.
It must be a popular combination. I bought the C53 and MCT500 last year at the start of the lockdown. I run it through the MC452 to 802D3s. I'm very happy with the combination. I do use the HDMI input for my Sony Smart TV.