AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 10-03-2018, 01:45 AM

Default Choosing new speakers. Not so easy...

Hey there,

I am moving away from my B&W 802D speakers, wanting to try something new. I have looked at many speakers and decided to go for Focals. I have a hybrid setup which is used for both 2 channel music and home theater.
The speakers will be driven by a pair of McIntosh 601’s.
I have a hard time deciding between Sopra 2/3 and the Scala V2’s. I have a large room, so all those speakers will fit.

I listened to the Sopra 2’s and liked the sound. I have no way to audition the Scalas but my logic tells me that since they are Utopia line, they should be better all around than the Sopras. The Scala V2’s are discontinued and replaced by a new, much more expensive speaker.

Are the Scalas built on older technology which is inferior to the Sopra line?
What would be the sound difference between those speakers?

How come I can barely find any reviews online on the Scala V2’s while there are so many on the Sopras? Is this suggestive of their quality/popularity?

I can get brand new Sopra 2’s for the same price as a used Scala V2’s.

Any guidance/recommendations will be greatly appreciated, I am going to purchase in the next day or two.

Thank you in advance!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Welcome to the Focal fold gurt. Here's a video from Upscale Audio on the Scala V2. Sounds like the difference between them and the new EVO version is mainly cosmetic. They have a few left for the same price as Sopra 3's. Great deal on a fantastic speaker. I think you'll be more than happy with whatever Focal speakers you end up with. They have great synergy with McIntosh electronics.
https://youtu.be/dwwRKs1khhE

Last edited by jayvis; 10-03-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:50 AM

I have original Scalas and am driving them with MC275 monos. I have heard the Sopras and while many say they sound very close to the Utopia Scalas that is not my experience. The main difference is in the mid bass which is much fuller bodied in the Scalas. The sopras sound great but are less grandiose in their presentation. The Scalas do not suffer from imaging or tonal character compared to their smaller cousins.
I wonder if the Sopras are easier to set up than the Scalas but neither seems very difficult.

Best of luck.

Mike S.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
Welcome to the Focal fold gurt. Here's a video from Upscale Audio on the Scala V2. Sounds like the difference between them and the new EVO version is mainly cosmetic. They have a few left for the same price as Sopra 3's. Great deal on a fantastic speaker. I think you'll be more than happy with whatever Focal speakers you end up with. They have great synergy with McIntosh electronics.
https://youtu.be/dwwRKs1khhE
Thank you Jayvis. I did see Kevin’s video, like many of his other videos it feels very “salesy”. I actually heard that the new EVO speaker is quite a significant departure from the Scala V2 (using their new technology vs. old one in the Scala) and wanted to hear from people on this forum who own, or heard those two speakers. Since it is a sizable investment, I’d like to get as much information as possibles before buying.

Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killergurt View Post
Thank you Jayvis. I did see Kevin’s video, like many of his other videos it feels very “salesy”. I actually heard that the new EVO speaker is quite a significant departure from the Scala V2 (using their new technology vs. old one in the Scala) and wanted to hear from people on this forum who own, or heard those two speakers. Since it is a sizable investment, I’d like to get as much information as possibles before buying.

Thanks again!
Understood. Hopefully, you'll find some who've heard both and can provide details of their experiences. As far as switching from B&W to Focal goes, I've experienced both lines and always found Focal speakers to be more enjoyable with my McIntosh systems. If I felt compelled to part with that amount of cash for speakers, I'd jump on the discounted Scala V2's in a second. Enjoy your search.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Retired

Had the opportunity to listen to a pair of new Sopra No.2 & Utiopia Scala on my local dealer's floor a couple of weeks ago. Both driven by the same pair of Bryston 28B3 amps & files from a Sony HAP-Z1ES (forgotten which preamp). Listened to the Scala for about 15min before they moved the cables to the Sopra No.2. Big mistake. Once having listened to the Utopia the Sopra No.2 were "a bit less" than I had hoped for. The Scala were truly outstanding. If the V2 are close to the Evo and you can fit them in your listening space & budget, go for it.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-03-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Had the opportunity to listen to a pair of new Sopra No.2 & Utiopia Scala on my local dealer's floor a couple of weeks ago. Both driven by the same pair of Bryston 28B3 amps & files from a Sony HAP-Z1ES (forgotten which preamp). Listened to the Scala for about 15min before they moved the cables to the Sopra No.2. Big mistake. Once having listened to the Utopia the Sopra No.2 were "a bit less" than I had hoped for. The Scala were truly outstanding. If the V2 are close to the Evo and you can fit them in your listening space & budget, go for it.
Thank you very much for this. What did you think of the bass reproduction? I assumed that since the Sopras have 2 bass drivers, they would be faster, more articulate than the Scalas. Were the mids and highs better on the Scalas? Different?

Thank you!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Retired

To my ears the Scala was better thru the mid's & down. Very well integrated sound and goes deeper than the No.2. Could hear no reason to ad a sub. Am sure one can adjust their preamp controls to bump up the low end of the No.2 a bit, but the Scala was seamless in its presentation. I would put it up there with what I've hear from properly set-up Wilson Alexia, but somewhat less 'in your face'.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
To my ears the Scala was better thru the mid's & down. Very well integrated sound and goes deeper than the No.2. Could hear no reason to ad a sub. Am sure one can adjust their preamp controls to bump up the low end of the No.2 a bit, but the Scala was seamless in its presentation. I would put it up there with what I've hear from properly set-up Wilson Alexia, but somewhat less 'in your face'.
What was your impression of the tweeter on the Scala vs. Sopra? Similar sound?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 PM

Scala V2 and BW 802 D3 are excellent speakers, IMO,Scala V2 is better sounding, controlled speaker than sopras;
I have heard these at dealer showroom and always gravitated to have scala.
I use BW and Scala alternatively with MC 1.2KW amp.
My take is BW throws music at you(forward) while Scala invites you to listen ,besides enjoying a Beryllium Tweeter.