AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 PM
McDaddy's Avatar
McDaddy McDaddy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 102
Default

Pio, they will indeed smooth out...some reviews have said 500 hours to fully break in the F208's but it didn't take me that long. Perhaps because mine do double duty with HT use as well though.

Very happy to ready your thoughts and wholeheartedly agree with your observations. Congrats!

Karl
__________________
Sources: Linn Akurate DS, Apple TV Amps: MC452 & MC301 Speakers/Subs: Sonus Faber Olympica III’s & Center in Wenge, 2 x JL Fathom 112's w/ Sound Anchor stands Pre/Pro: C2500, MX121 Power: PS Audio P10 w/ Furutech Flux 50 NSF, Furutech GTX-D NSF outlet Cables: Center speaker-Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8, L/R Speakers-Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7, Kimber PK-10 Palladian power cables, Kimber KS1126 Interconnects

Last edited by McDaddy; 02-04-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:22 PM
all2ears's Avatar
all2ears all2ears is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 164
Default

Revel (IMHO) can't be beat when it comes to a speaker system used for both music and movies - Simply put they sound as good as they test ...... and they test really well - The combination of seamless transition between drivers and top shelf dynamics is hard to top

Like my Granddaddy said, "You'll never be sorry when you go with the best"
__________________
Revel Salon2 main speakers / Voice2 center / C10 surrounds
McIntosh MX150 Processor / MC601 Amp / MC452 Amp / MC205 Amp / MPC1500 Conditioner
MT10 Turntable with MP100 Phono Amp / Auralic Aries & D100 DAC / Oppo 103 Darbee BluRay / Roku
Epson 6010 Projector with Stewart Grey Hawk
A Tangle of WireWorld Silver & Gold Electra Cables / A pile of GIK acoustic panels
Gibson CF-100E
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-07-2016, 03:21 PM
kaarmstrong's Avatar
kaarmstrong kaarmstrong is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northwest USA
Posts: 150
Default

First time posting. I own Salon 2's which I enjoy very much. My local dealer has just started carrying the Revel brand as well. The Salons just keep getting better as a upgrade other components. Most recent improvements include demo'ing Wireworld Gold Starlight digital cable that Ivan recommended to my brother.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Alki's Avatar
Alki Alki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarmstrong View Post
First time posting. I own Salon 2's which I enjoy very much. My local dealer has just started carrying the Revel brand as well. The Salons just keep getting better as a upgrade other components. Most recent improvements include demo'ing Wireworld Gold Starlight digital cable that Ivan recommended to my brother.
Kaarmstrong, welcome to AA.

I agree that the Salon 2's are an excellent speaker.

Last edited by Alki; 02-08-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-09-2016, 04:34 AM
pete6737's Avatar
pete6737 pete6737 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Florida
Posts: 499
Default

I've had my Salon2s for a year. Now I've been busting the budget buying new gear that makes them sound even better. I had a Bryston system now Audio Reasearch. The Salons never misbehave. They take any track and kick butt. Glad to see a dedicated Revel forum.
__________________
Preamp: Audio Research Ref5SE, Amp: Audio Research GS150 Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon2, Digital/SACD: Esoteric K03X, Speaker cable: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 BiWire, Interconnects: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, Power cables: Wireworld Silver Electra 7, Silver Starlight 7 USB, Room Treatments: GIK and ASC.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Mikado463's Avatar
Mikado463 Mikado463 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 3,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio View Post
Been breaking in the 208's - damn their good.
Pio, I couldn't agree more !

I've been in a speaker demoing mood as of late and today I gave a listen to the F208's. Compared to the Bryston's (underwhelming IMO) the Revel's just simply amaze……….. in all the areas you mentioned. I can think of no other speaker (box) at or near their price point that compares.

So the question that's nagging me is, how much better (at three times the cost) can the Studio 2's be ?
__________________
Cheers .......Dave
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 AM
oddeophile's Avatar
oddeophile oddeophile is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Pio, I couldn't agree more ! I've been in a speaker demoing mood as of late and today I gave a listen to the F208's. Compared to the Bryston's (underwhelming IMO) the Revel's just simply amaze……….. in all the areas you mentioned. I can think of no other speaker (box) at or near their price point that compares. So the question that's nagging me is, how much better (at three times the cost) can the Studio 2's be ?
As I have studio 2's with all tubes. Stunning would be the word I'd use to describe them.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Biggar Biggar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 42
Default

I have owned a pair of Salon 2s since September 2015. Frankly, since becoming an audio hobbyist, I have never had a longer uninterrupted period in which I have not been critical of my speaker performance. I'm probably going to own these speakers for many years to come - complete satisfaction. I've been a Floyd Toole follower for years. I started out with Axioms, moved to Paradigm Sig8s then to the Salon2s. I think it's the fact of Toole focusing on BOTH the subjective and the objective that breeds success in speaker design. Many other manufacturers focus on on or other of those aspects but not both. Axiom tries to do a good job but they don't have the expensive gear and their subjective testing is a little cut-corner compared to Toole's, Paradigm comes close but I think that they focus too much on affordability an thus end up cutting corners too. No doubt, in order to make their speakers affordable Revel does a little trimming but, I'd be hard pressed to say where that takes place.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-29-2016, 06:10 PM
pete6737's Avatar
pete6737 pete6737 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Florida
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
I have owned a pair of Salon 2s since September 2015. Frankly, since becoming an audio hobbyist, I have never had a longer uninterrupted period in which I have not been critical of my speaker performance. I'm probably going to own these speakers for many years to come - complete satisfaction. I've been a Floyd Toole follower for years. I started out with Axioms, moved to Paradigm Sig8s then to the Salon2s. I think it's the fact of Toole focusing on BOTH the subjective and the objective that breeds success in speaker design. Many other manufacturers focus on on or other of those aspects but not both. Axiom tries to do a good job but they don't have the expensive gear and their subjective testing is a little cut-corner compared to Toole's, Paradigm comes close but I think that they focus too much on affordability an thus end up cutting corners too. No doubt, in order to make their speakers affordable Revel does a little trimming but, I'd be hard pressed to say where that takes place.
I also got my Salon2s in late 2015. I have only had three pairs of speakers since 1998! B&W 803 Matrix until 2013 when ordered Salk SS8s which were very nice until I heard the Salons. I was completely in love with them and they are great. I almost bought Paradigm SS8 but I am really happy with my Salons!
__________________
Preamp: Audio Research Ref5SE, Amp: Audio Research GS150 Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon2, Digital/SACD: Esoteric K03X, Speaker cable: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 BiWire, Interconnects: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, Power cables: Wireworld Silver Electra 7, Silver Starlight 7 USB, Room Treatments: GIK and ASC.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Mikado463's Avatar
Mikado463 Mikado463 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 3,286
Default

Gonna spend some time this Thur AM with the Salon / Studio's ………wish me (and my wallet) luck !
__________________
Cheers .......Dave
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase