AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-20-2018, 01:46 PM

So this is the amp you missed the meet for... congrats!
Old 10-20-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
So this is the amp you missed the meet for... congrats!

Yes Joey, I missed the meetup because of this little old thing!!
Sources - VPI Classic Signature Turntable Piano Black, 10" 3D arm, ADS speed controller, Periphery ring Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono preamp,SonicTransporter i5 music server running Roon software Sonore Signature Rendu SE, PS Audio DirestStream Dac (Snowmass firmware), Oppo 105D disc spinner, Apple TV.
Pre and Power - Audio Research Ref 6 Preamp, Audio Research GS150 Amplifier, Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro movies only, Emotiva XPA-3 amplifier for center and surrounds.
Cables and Accessories WireWorld Eclipse 7 Speaker Cables. WireWorld & Nordost Interconnects. GIK Acoustics Soffit traps, Q7D Diffusors, 244 as cloud traps. PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator(x2) Shunyata and WireWorld Power cords.
Speakers - Martin Logan Expression 13A, Martin Logan Balanced Force 212 sub, Martin Logan Stage X Center Channel, Martin Logan FX2 Surrounds.
Screen Panasonic 60" Plasma.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael paul View Post
Hi Steve, congrats on your amp!
I am using a 300w per channel solid state amp driving my MartinLogan13A's. I have a REF6 preamp that amazes me and i am wanting to change to either GS150 or 150SE amp.

I am concerned that a tube amp might not have the control and dynamics required for electrostats. Please convince for otherwise!!! lol

thanks
mike

Mike I haven’t ever used a large solid state on any of my Logan’s. I can say the MAC MC275 is what I had and the GS150 is MUCH better!!!
Sources - VPI Classic Signature Turntable Piano Black, 10" 3D arm, ADS speed controller, Periphery ring Kiseki Purple Heart cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono preamp,SonicTransporter i5 music server running Roon software Sonore Signature Rendu SE, PS Audio DirestStream Dac (Snowmass firmware), Oppo 105D disc spinner, Apple TV.
Pre and Power - Audio Research Ref 6 Preamp, Audio Research GS150 Amplifier, Emotiva UMC-200 Pre/Pro movies only, Emotiva XPA-3 amplifier for center and surrounds.
Cables and Accessories WireWorld Eclipse 7 Speaker Cables. WireWorld & Nordost Interconnects. GIK Acoustics Soffit traps, Q7D Diffusors, 244 as cloud traps. PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator(x2) Shunyata and WireWorld Power cords.
Speakers - Martin Logan Expression 13A, Martin Logan Balanced Force 212 sub, Martin Logan Stage X Center Channel, Martin Logan FX2 Surrounds.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Go Dawgs

I would think the Mac as good as it is was probably a bit underpowered for the Martin Logans.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD audio player. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Old 10-20-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I would think the Mac as good as it is was probably a bit underpowered for the Martin Logans.

- Buck

Buck I was using two of them as mono blocks which is then rated to have the same power as the GS150 at 150/ch. But the GS150 sounds much more powerful!!!! And it just sounds better across the board.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:18 PM

thanks for the feedback! i hope to get back to you guys ...new ARC amp in tow!

mike
Old 10-20-2018, 08:42 PM

The 275 is a great amp - but it is colored and not always the best option depending on your speakers.

Congrats Steve on an awesome upgrade!

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 10-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Yes I think the 13's needed more oomph. Just glancing at some reviews of the 275 does tend to have a soft sound and not as dynamic. As great as it is and I think originated in 1961; the 275 has a warm softer sound than even other tube amps.

Myself having owned the Martin Logans 13's for a few months; even going from the MC452 to the MC601's there was a greater sense of dimension and pace.

Congrats Steve and here's to many many years of audio bliss!

Analog Preamp....McIntosh C1100T/C1100c
Amps....McIntosh MC601's (2) Sold
Amps On The Way...McIntosh MC2301s (2)
DAC ....Cary Audio DMS-500
Speakers....Martin Logan CLX-Art
Subwoofers.... Martin Logan Balanced Force 212's (2)
Turntable....Clearaudio Innovation-TT5 Linear Arm-Ortofon Cadenza Blue Cart
Interconnects/Power Cables...Nordost Odin/Valhalla 2

Old 10-22-2018, 06:34 PM

Congrats Steve! Keep us posted on your listening impressions.
Audio Room: Gryphon Diablo 300, Ayre P-5xe, Esoteric K-01X, Esoteric G-02X, Aurender N10, Clearaudio Innovation, KEF Blade 2, Audeze LCD-XC, Audioquest Niagara 5000, Audience AU24- SX speaker cables, Wireworld Platinum USB and COAX, Audioquest WEL interconnects and Hurricane power cords, Core Audio Designs racks, Stillpoints, HRS damping plates and all that other silly stuff

Living Room: (aka Maria's system): Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated, Audio Physic Tempo Special Ed., Cambridge Audio 840C, Bluesound Node 2, Accusound and Nordost interconnects and cables

Office: McIntosh MA252, Bluesound Node 2, Chord 2Qute DAC, Diapason Neos, Tellurium Q silver speaker cables and Nordost Frey 2 interconnects
Old 10-24-2018, 06:37 PM

Update time:

I’m really pleased with the Audio Research GS150 amplifier. It drives my Martin Logan 13A’s so much better than my former amps, McIntosh MC275. Even though I was using pair of 275’s, which are rated for the same power output as the GS150, the GS150 sounds more powerful. It also has much better high frequency definition and extension, so much so the Logan’s sound like they have a blanket over them when driven by the Mac’s.

And now for the good part………..soundstage depth………….the GS150 definitely has this in spades producing images that float in space with more of a 3D effect than the Mac’s could produce. As for the bottom octaves I really don’t notice any big differences as the Logan’s have built in amplification for their woofers.

But of course this upgrade just has me itching to make another upgrade……..maybe a ARC Ref 6 pre to drive the GS150!!!