AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 01-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Another enjoyable two hour listening session this morning. With 332 hours of break-in behind it, the Yggdrasil DAC is truly starting to strut its stuff. Solo piano carries excellent weight, timbre, and dynamics in the lowest octaves, single notes are pure with no hint of glare or grain. Sustained notes hang perfectly as they diminish, and full chords combining multiple keys convey a stunning richness that is emotionally captivating. The Yggdrasil is beginning to become invisible, leaving only the embodiment of natural sound in its wake. I am so pleased I made this purchase.
Really great to hear, Dan. Serge and I were pretty confident that you would like Yggy, but one never knows until it is placed into a particular system and the unit has sufficient time to "settle in". We're so pleased that it is working out for you as well as it is.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Really great to hear, Dan. Serge and I were pretty confident that you would like Yggy, but one never knows until it is placed into a particular system and the unit has sufficient time to "settle in". We're so pleased that it is working out for you as well as it is.
Stephen.......Yes, you and Serge were a strong influence on my decision to purchase a Schiit Audio DAC. I had originally considered going with the Gungnir multibit (Gumby) based on you guys' experiences and praise, but the more I read and heard from owners about the Yggdrasil I was compelled to choose it. I figured if the Gumby was thrilling you two, how could I loose with the Yggdrasil. My satisfaction with the Yggdrasil at this stage of its break-in substantiates my decision was correct.

As for system synergy, I don't think the Yggdrasil would prove difficult to introduce into any high-end sound system. Not only is the D to A conversion process and filtering exceptional, the analog output section is incredibly resolute and robust with a signal to noise ratio that typically exceeds many preamplifiers and power amplifiers. I don't see the Yggdrasil introducing any type of negative influence on a sound system's performance. I can't imagine a Yggdrasil owner rejecting this DAC for lack of synergy with a sound system.

I have yet to move the DAC to the studio system. I don't plan to disconnect it from utility power or the Aurender N100H music server until break-in exceeds 500 hours, perhaps not until I have posted my Yggdrasil review. When I do connect the output of the Yggy to my McIntosh C1000C/P preamp and the MC2301 power amplifiers I fully expect it will shine. Putting the Yggdrasil up against the Esoteric K-01X DAC will certainly be interesting. Most likely that comparison will produce many thoughts worth discussing and will certainly deserve a separate review.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-07-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Dan, very glad to hear your satisfaction level is high with the Yggdrasil. Tremendous value to say the least. Past 500-600 hr mark is where the true magic starts to happen. I lost count of hours at that point already...The dac will totally disappear and you will have forgotten that it is in the chain. I have at this point because Gumby stopped reminding me. To put it in other words, it doesn't call attention to itself with the occasional glare on some recordings and going back to those same recordings, they are smooth as silk now consistently.

It will at some point simply start breathing life into music, you know, those magic listening sessions where your room disappears and you are ultimately transported to the time and place where the live event took place. Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop for example, all the micro detail of the captured ambiance of the acoustic space, the people chatter and the clanking of the glasses, the foot steps of waiters, those small live captured little details that bring a recording to life, simply make me forget I am listening to recorded music on more than once occasion and it is as if I was there. The ultimate clarity and naturalness of the sound is uncanny through these dacs.

Also will be interesting to hear your opinion on the Yggy vs K-01X which is roughly 9x the price if I am not mistaking? I don't doubt they are both stellar performers, this will boil down to personal preference more so than any shortcoming or glaring faults of either. There are probably none to be found in either but it still leaves the question of the multiples of the price difference up for discussion. Of course if you are able to fixate on small variances and compare/contrast, it will be a very interesting read. Looking forward to that sometime in the near future.

Last edited by PHC1; 01-07-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, very glad to hear your satisfaction level is high with the Yggdrasil. Tremendous value to say the least. Past 500-600 hr mark is where the true magic starts to happen. I lost count of hours at that point already...The dac will totally disappear and you will have forgotten that it is in the chain. I have at this point because Gumby stopped reminding me. To put it in other words, it doesn't call attention to itself with the occasional glare on some recordings and going back to those same recordings, they are smooth as silk now consistently.

It will at some point simply start breathing life into music, you know, those magic listening sessions where your room disappears and you are ultimately transported to the time and place where the live event took place. Listening to Jazz at the Pawnshop for example, all the micro detail of the captured ambiance of the acoustic space, the people chatter and the clanking of the glasses, the foot steps of waiters, those small live captured little details that bring a recording to life, simply make me forget I am listening to recorded music on more than once occasion and it is as if I was there. The ultimate clarity and naturalness of the sound is uncanny through these dacs.

Also will be interesting to hear your opinion on the Yggy vs K-01X which is roughly 9x the price if I am not mistaking? I don't doubt they are both stellar performers, this will boil down to personal preference more so than any shortcoming or glaring faults of either. There are probably none to be found in either but it still leaves the question of the multiples of the price difference up for discussion. Of course if you are able to fixate on small variances and compare/contrast, it will be a very interesting read. Looking forward to that sometime in the near future.
As am I...(guys, great comments, BTW, but that is par for you and Dan, both)
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:38 AM

Dan, I'm wondering if you have heard the McIntosh D1100. It would be nice to hear your impressions in a comparison to the Yggy. I have been through a few DACs in the last several years and think this is an area where improvements are dramatic.

I have not posted in a few years as I have been trying to concentrate more on the music, but have recently made some equipment upgrades. I forgot what fun equipment can be. I appreciate the care and thoughtfulness you and the others put into the posts in this forum.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Dan, I'm wondering if you have heard the McIntosh D1100. It would be nice to hear your impressions in a comparison to the Yggy. I have been through a few DACs in the last several years and think this is an area where improvements are dramatic.

I have not posted in a few years as I have been trying to concentrate more on the music, but have recently made some equipment upgrades. I forgot what fun equipment can be. I appreciate the care and thoughtfulness you and the others put into the posts in this forum.
David.......I have not auditioned the McIntosh D1100. I know there are many happy owners. Now that I have flirted with a quality ladder DAC I am much less likely to purchase another delta-sigma DAC. The Yggdrasil is blowing me away.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Merry Christmas to all

The Yggdrasil DAC is absolutely astonishing. I have 494 hours break-in logged at this time. During my listening sessions I have already started taking notes for my review. This past several days the Yggdrasil has floored me more than once. The authenticity of instrument sounds and voices is so realistic and natural it is almost uncanny. I continually find myself awestruck as I listen. I am pulled into the performances every single time. I have not yet compared the Yggdrasil to the Esoteric K-01X in the studio system. I'll get to that one of these days, but I swear the Yggy is neck and neck with the K-01X, if not superior, in its ability to present music in a genuine, captivating, and immersive way. No matter the price, the Yggdrasil is a serious competitor with DAC's way up the digital converter food chain. Its performance level has reached a place where the accurate representation of sound can be startling. Instruments, percussion, and voices are lifelike and thrilling. Its price may make the Yggdrasil appear as an underdog but be forewarned, this DAC kicks ass.

The full Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC review should be complete and posted by next Saturday.

Last edited by jdandy; 01-15-2018 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 PM

Dan,

It’s great to hear your positive impressions of the Yggdrasil as you get more and more time with it during burn-in. I’m very much looking forward to your full review.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
The Yggdrasil DAC is absolutely astonishing. I have 494 hours break-in logged at this time. During my listening sessions I have already started taking notes for my review. This past several days the Yggdrasil has floored me more than once. The authenticity of instrument sounds and voices is so realistic and natural it is almost uncanny. I continually find myself awestruck as I listen. I am pulled into the performances every single time. I have not yet compared the Yggdrasil to the Esoteric K-01X in the studio system. I'll get to that one of these days, but I swear the Yggy is neck and neck with the K-01X, if not superior, in its ability to present music in a genuine, captivating, and immersive way. No matter the price, the Yggdrasil is a serious competitor with DAC's way up the digital converter food chain. Its performance level has reached a place where the accurate representation of sound can be startling. Instruments, percussion, and voices are lifelike and thrilling. Its price may make the Yggdrasil appear as an underdog but be forewarned, this DAC kicks ass.
I think startling is an underused,but very appropriate word to describe the very best gear.
I think you have got everyone interested.

Last edited by jdandy; 01-15-2018 at 02:19 AM. Reason: correct quote syntax
Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 PM

Dan,

Looking forward to your review with great interest. BTW, do you think that a server feeding stored music files to the Yggy gives you an advantage over a disc player feeding the Yggy via coax input? Just curious as I'm sure many would likely use that set-up. I'm one of those weird people that actually like to play a disc. Thanks!

Wes