AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post

in the past year I have acquired the Ref 150, Ref 250, Ref 40, Ref 5SE and Ref Phono 2SE (used in various systems).
Can I ask you your opinions about the REF150 versus REF250 when used in the power envelope of the REF150?
I have found that used with the REF40 the REF150 is the best power amplifiers I have listened to in several areas - mainly dynamic detail, even in the bass, although it does not have the power of the Momentun's. Does the more powerful REF250 keep all the magic aspects of the small stereo brother?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:38 AM

The 150 and 250 are very similar on the first few watts. And the higher power 250 does not give up any delicacy or sweetness in its quest for more power...not always the case as you go up in power. It does however control the bottom end better than the 150 as the volume increases...no bloat or lag...and the soundstage and micro dynamics maintain their composure at higher decibels...while the 150 did start to slightly constrict at volume extremes. I could happily live with both...and I have yet to find any amp other than the new ARC line which more accurately presents the magic of a holographic event with each performer so clearly delineated

Last edited by enatai252; 05-24-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Although I'm sure that also depends on the speakers used; fairly efficient speakers wouldn't sound any different with the 150s than with the 250s at any reasonable volume.

Quote:
In the past year I have acquired the Ref 150, Ref 250, Ref 40, Ref 5SE and Ref Phono 2SE (used in various systems).
Dedicated air conditioner?

Did you get a Christmas card from your dealer?

Last edited by BillK; 05-24-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 AM

I received a bottle of Scotch.

To be honest...I was more concerned that I would lose a little of the magic of the 150 when I switched to the more powerful 250s. But as I said...they both sound very similar on the first few watts. For the few times I do turn the volume up...it's nice to have the additional headroom which keeps the air and spacing within the soundstage intact
Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 AM

Supposedly the new REF DAC will include "Kernel streaming". This will help with JPLAY.

I hope they also make some other changes and additions before the final release, such as DSD capable streaming, in the light of dCS and Meitner. While I own a DAC 8, I am still not sure ARC has truly grasped the importance of the USB interface. I have my fingers crossed, but this is not a product I am going to pay 17K for unless it is compelling and meets or beats the competitors in this price range, both on sound and features.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 PM

I hear now that shipping is end of June...price $16k
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
The 150 and 250 are very similar on the first few watts. And the higher power 250 does not give up any delicacy or sweetness in its quest for more power...not always the case as you go up in power. It does however control the bottom end better than the 150 as the volume increases...no bloat or lag...and the soundstage and micro dynamics maintain their composure at higher decibels...while the 150 did start to slightly constrict at volume extremes. I could happily live with both...and I have yet to find any amp other than the new ARC line which more accurately presents the magic of a holographic event with each performer so clearly delineated
Thanks - I share your enthusiasm for the REF150 amplifier - but still have to listen to the REF250 in my system.

BTW, this Christmas I got a box of 6 bottles of white wine from my ARC dealer!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstrip

Thanks - I share your enthusiasm for the REF150 amplifier - but still have to listen to the REF250 in my system.

BTW, this Christmas I got a box of 6 bottles of white wine from my ARC dealer!
Wow. I never even got a follow up call from my dealer when I bought a Ref 5 and Dac 8. And I had to go pick up the gear from him when it came in. Love ARC. Not buying new in Chicagoland anymore unless I find a new dealer.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:26 PM

Latest update is at least 3 more weeks out
Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Good news - the German magazine Audio has reviewed the ARC DAC Reference and gave it 140 points - their top classification for any DAC!