AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Music Provides Joy

Default Latest on DS Amplifiers??

Team:

I'm considering the following system shift: directly driving an Audio Research "Definition Series" amplifier with my Wadia 121 (arriving Sat.) or my W4S-Dac2.

I find that when I finally get home, I want to immediately hit play and hear music without waiting for any warm-up. I am intrigued by a system comprised entirely of components that can be left on all of the time and generate little to no heat. I am also intrigued by short signal paths, very little feedback, high damping factor, and headroom. Plus, I think the DS450 looks pretty sexy.

I heard the DS225 on Vandersteen Quatros at the dealer's (Ref 5 and Dac 8 driving). I could be crazy, but I thought the DS225 had a nice -relaxed- and -warm- high end and midrange... I thought it sounded great.

Stereophile hasn't done a review of the DS series amplifiers. I wonder how they measure. I wonder what buyers' impressions are like now that the amplifiers have been out a bit.

Thoughts?

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Karl,

I have a DS 450 driving a pair of Salon 2s. I actually bought it because It has the same sound characteristics you describe. At first I though it was not going to have the power to drive the S2s but it does.

Lastly, while the DS probably does not have a lot fans out there because of its design architecture, I think it is a fine amp. I did comparisons with several other reputable mfg. amps in its price range and yet I still bought the DS.

BTW, at RMAF the Sonus Faber Futura Anniversary were driven by the DS450M. I felt the amps did a nice job driving them. If I recall, one of the TAS writers had very positive comments about this system.

That's one opinion...hope that helps.

Mike
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Music Provides Joy

Ritmo. Thanks, that's good stuff. I found/find myself having a bit of a negative reaction to class-d amplification... but I don't really know why --- the sound was great.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Music Provides Joy

Cyril, you around? Curious as to your current thoughts on the DS450. Did you ever demo in home v. your ref. 110?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Karl/Mike...I have not auditioned the DS series amps from Audio Research. My question to Mike is have you used the DS450 driven by a source direct without the LS-27 or Ref 5SE? I wonder how much of the sonics you describe is the amp on its own vs. the contribution of the ARC preamps you have used?

Karl, I would test it both ways. Meaning Wadia 121 direct into a DS225/450 and with a preamp (preferably ARC so you get the synergy) in the chain and see which works better for you.

Just my 2c but as I said I have no direct experience with the DS series amps so sorry can't be more helpful.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Cyril and Karl,

No, I have not listened to it with a direct feed from a DAC. That would be an interesting exercise.

I can tell you that that the addition of the REF5 SE made a huge difference in the system. I used to think that the bottom end could be better in my system. Thought it was due to the amp - not anymore. I get plenty of bass.

Mike
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Karl,
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I've been using the integrated version, the DSi200, for about a year now, and it's been a great amp. Of course it's not going to be in the same league as the 450, but I find it's very smooth in the midrange; clean, controlled bass; and fantastic soundstage. Not quite as full a sound as McIntosh tubes (I auditioned a 60th anniversary system prior to this purchase but it was too much of a good thing for my setup). As you pointed out, there is virtually no warmup time, at least when listening to digital (Bryston BDA-1 from Squeezebox).

Good luck
Tonyi
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2