AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
That's very helpful, but the "upgrade" option is for what you put on amps (presumably not plugged into the distributor?).

What does Shunyata (or PumaCat) recommend as an upgrade if you already have a Sigma v1 to your PD, but are using all older Alpha HC to everything else, including the amp (Not plugged into the distr.). basically, I'm wondering where a sigma V2 would go if I got one, and what kind.
Hey, Marc.

Well, there's a lot of places where one could do an upgrade if there are very good quality PCs already in place.

With respect to your question specifically, the first place I'd put a Sigma NRv2 would be on the power amp, whether plugged directly into the wall or a connected to a PD such as a Denali, Triton V3, etc.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Hi Bob,
Here's what I would likely be doing if I had your (wonderful) system:

I'd put the Trition V3 into your main audio (2-channel system), with the Typhon QR plugged into it. If you had the budget, rather than getting an Omega QR, I'd put a new Sigma XC on the Triton V3 to power it from the wall (which would also save you quite a bit of money).

Then for your AV system, I'd move the Denali from your 2-channel audio system to the A/V system and use it as a 2nd Denali V2 for the audio componentry of your home theatre system in place of the Triton V3.

If your budget alllows Omega QR or Sigma NR v2 PCs on your monoblocks connected directly to the wall (I don't know what you are using there presently) would be freakin' amazing, the Omegas more so because of the QR device they have, but the Sigma NR v2s were, for me, a revelation. I"ve not heard the Omega QR, so I can't comment on it specifically, but knowing 1) how good the Sigma NR v2 is 2) what a QR/BB devices brings to the equation, I can only presume it represents a major paradigm shift for PCs.

The new Sigma XC is a fantastic PC for powering power distributors (PD): it is exceptionally clean, quiet, dynamic, and fast, fast, fast. It really gives the PD the current it needs when it needs it. While a Sigma NR v2 is also fab powering a PD (so much so it came as a shock to me the first time I connected it to Denali), the XC is even better.

Having tested both extensively, I've come to the conclusion that the XC are really the best solution for PDs and the NR series are best-suited for powering components.

As for the Typhon, what it does is so special, my thought is it would be best-served using it for your 2-channel system in conjunction with your Triton V3.

Just my 2¢; I'm sure with your system, however you configure it, its going to be extraordinary. Cheers.
Puma Cat. Thanks for the compliment. I bet that your system is great too.

As for your suggestions, that’s probably what I am going to try first by moving the Denali from my stereo to the AV system and bringing the Triton to the stereo to pair with my Typhon as Caelin recommends.

I’m not sure the reason that the second Denali did not sound as good in my AV system as the Triton powering my Anthem multichannel amp and Anthem AVM 60 preamp, but I will try it again. After doing that, I will consider one or more of the new Shunyata power cords. I would imagine that the Omega QR would be great with my Ayre mono-block amps plugged directly into the wall outlet. BTW, I am presently using Synergistic Research Galileo power cords directly into my Ayre MX-R 20 amps which is the best that I’ve heard out of them.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions. Now I have to roll my sleeves up and also get my wife’s approval for yet more power cords. On the plus side, she has better ears that I do, and sensitive to changes that I make to the AV system as she loves movies and the such.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:41 PM

Default Typhon QR in the mix questions.

Hi Caelin,

As you know, I now use my Denali 6000S V2 in conjunction with my Typhon QR in my 2 channel stereo. The Typhon is plugged directly into the wall outlet using a Sigma v1 power cord. As Puma Cat has suggested, I might try moving my Triton from my AV system to the stereo to use in conjunction with the Typhon and move the Denali to my AV system for the audio end in there.

QUESTIONS:

1. Whether I use the Typhon with the Denali or the Triton, the connection between the Typhon and Denali or Triton has to be the special Sigma v1 which came with the Typhon. Since it can’t be upgraded to one of the newer Shunyata power cords, would I still benefit with either a Sigma XC or Omega XC from the wall outlet to the input of the Typhon?

2. Would eliminating the Typhon all together and plugging either the Triton or Denali directly into the wall outlet using a Sigma XC or Omega XC have potential for better sound? The reason that I’m asking is that the PC between the Typhon and Triton or Denali would technically appear to be a bottle neck and can’t be upgraded.

Before I order anything, your input would be most appreciated? Thanks, Bob
Old 05-06-2020, 01:00 PM

The Typhon umbilical cannot be upgraded as in modified. But you can replace it with a short Alpha or Sigma XC cable.

What generation is your Triton? v1, v2 or v3
Old 05-06-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
The Typhon umbilical cannot be upgraded as in modified. But you can replace it with a short Alpha or Sigma XC cable.

What generation is your Triton? v1, v2 or v3
I have the Triton v3, the last model made.

I am still a bit confused. Do you mean that I can order a short Alpha or Sigma XC “umbilical” to replace the “umbilical” which the Typhon came with? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:14 PM

Yes, you can order any of the cables we produce and use it as an umbilical cable.
Ideally, this cable should be short for best performance. The ideal length is around 33-36 inches. Do NOT try to order a cable that is the exact length from the Tv3 to the TQR. The cable must be twisted/turned to plug it in to the receptacle which significantly shortens the effective length of the cable. If the Tv3 and TQR are stacked one atop the other or they are sitting side-by-side, then the standard length of 33-36 inches will work fine. If for some reason the Tv3 and TQR are physically separated then you will have to order a correspondingly longer cable.

The Alpha XC or the Sigma XC would both significantly out perform the original Typhon Umbilical cable that was supplied with the unit.

I hope this helps clear it up.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
Yes, you can order any of the cables we produce and use it as an umbilical cable.
Ideally, this cable should be short for best performance. The ideal length is around 33-36 inches. Do NOT try to order a cable that is the exact length from the Tv3 to the TQR. The cable must be twisted/turned to plug it in to the receptacle which significantly shortens the effective length of the cable. If the Tv3 and TQR are stacked one atop the other or they are sitting side-by-side, then the standard length of 33-36 inches will work fine. If for some reason the Tv3 and TQR are physically separated then you will have to order a correspondingly longer cable.

The Alpha XC or the Sigma XC would both significantly out perform the original Typhon Umbilical cable that was supplied with the unit.

I hope this helps clear it up.
Thanks Caelin. That does clear it up and I will be ordering one of these soon.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:40 AM

Can I borrow your wife’s ears for my wife? I bet I could get away with a whole bunch of new stuff. A month should probably do fine (better make it 3 months with all the mfrs being closed.) Thanks
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Are the XC cables expected to be available in Europe also?
Old 05-17-2020, 03:40 PM

Yes, XC for europe as well.