AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Meridian Audio

Meridian Audio Listen Closely

Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 PM

Have you ever had to use the warranty with Meridian Speakers? The idea is great, self powered, no need for external amps but what happens when a component breaks?
Your out your entire system. I don't have any experience with Meridian but a local dealer (Stillone is familiar-Royal Oak store) has DSP 5000 in stock but nothing higher priced.
Would it be fair to say its similar to a Mc501 amp stuffed in each speaker for power? How do these compare with standard speakers, ie. B&W, Klipsch, Wilson, etc. Imaging, Depth, Sound quality. I've been reading review today, most state a deep soundstage and concert quality sound. I have always preferred Bi-polar type speakers vs traditional. My favorite were Mirage M3si, I found them much more pleasant than my Klipsch. When Mirage chose to downsize there speakers I found B&W speakers. My search hasn't ended for the perfect speaker but b&w is close. maybe 90%. I guess for $20,000 I want purrrrrfection-not to much to ask is it. Maybe with Meridian I can find the best audio and video speaker combo. If I do, what will happen to my amps..hmmm
Old 07-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
Have you ever had to use the warranty with Meridian Speakers? The idea is great, self powered, no need for external amps but what happens when a component breaks?
Your out your entire system. I don't have any experience with Meridian but a local dealer (Stillone is familiar-Royal Oak store) has DSP 5000 in stock but nothing higher priced.
Would it be fair to say its similar to a Mc501 amp stuffed in each speaker for power? How do these compare with standard speakers, ie. B&W, Klipsch, Wilson, etc. Imaging, Depth, Sound quality. I've been reading review today, most state a deep soundstage and concert quality sound. I have always preferred Bi-polar type speakers vs traditional. My favorite were Mirage M3si, I found them much more pleasant than my Klipsch. When Mirage chose to downsize there speakers I found B&W speakers. My search hasn't ended for the perfect speaker but b&w is close. maybe 90%. I guess for $20,000 I want purrrrrfection-not to much to ask is it. Maybe with Meridian I can find the best audio and video speaker combo. If I do, what will happen to my amps..hmmm
I have had no problems with my Meridian active speakers so far. The active speakers contain power amps and dacs all in one box. They are the ultimate in sleekness. In terms of power, my DSP 8000s have 2 100 watt amps and three 150 watts amps, i.e 650 watts each speaker.

The sound signature of Meridian is very smooth. It is detailed but not analytical. Some may call it polite which could be a result of lack of harshness. All in all, i can not think of a system with this kind of sound, connectivity except for Meridian. There really isn't any competition imho.

howie
Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
I have had no problems with my Meridian active speakers so far. The active speakers contain power amps and dacs all in one box. They are the ultimate in sleekness. In terms of power, my DSP 8000s have 2 100 watt amps and three 150 watts amps, i.e 650 watts each speaker.

The sound signature of Meridian is very smooth. It is detailed but not analytical. Some may call it polite which could be a result of lack of harshness. All in all, i can not think of a system with this kind of sound, connectivity except for Meridian. There really isn't any competition imho.

howie
If I was starting over, either the 7200's or 8000's with the 808.2 CD player would surely be on the short list of any system I would consider.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
If I was starting over, either the 7200's or 8000's with the 808.2 CD player would surely be on the short list of any system I would consider.
Way back in time when the DSP6000 were then the top speakers, the Meridian all-in-one idea had always cropped up. Likewise, the fear of something might go wrong and the possibility/ability to properly fixed it (back then, service and backup level from dealers are not quite that excellent as today) back to mint is a concern.

In the end, I dropped the idea.

Seriously, IF I had the chance to start all over again, I would have go straight for the 808.2 + 8000 combo. I am not into HT and so, a pair of 8000 is still affordable.

But today, looks like its only a dream as I have ventured too deeply elsewhere. At least, its not in the wrong direction altogether as seemingly, I have been very happy listening to their performance and not for once I had ever wondered should it be a different gears!

But I suppose Howie had hit the right path to his audio nirvana! I am waiting for the day to be invited to audition and share his pleasure from his wonderful uncluttered ease-of-use BUT very high end musical system!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 07-31-2009, 06:01 PM

I have always liked Meridian. One of my favorite cd playback was the Meridian separates. I later had a 508.24 which was a nice player.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM

I auditioned the Wilson Sasha's today, heading to the meridian dealer tomorrow. The Sasha's were awesome. better than expected.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:01 PM

Smile Meridian Experience

Listing to Music has been my favorite past time since I was in high school. I remember when I went to a local Hi-Fi shop and would dream about owning McIntosh Equipment. Over the last 50 years I have owned several different brands of equipment including several McIntosh preamps and amplifiers. The company still makes excellant equipment and I still have one of their 6 channel amps in my system.

About 6 years ago I started to research Meridian processors as I was in the market to upgrade my McIntosh preamp. After hearing a Meridian system I could not get over how detailed and natural the system sounded. I had now been bitten by the Meridian bug. I purchased a 568.2 processor and about 3 years ago upgraded to a G68ADV. I have never regretted either purchase.

I currently have B&W speakers and really enjoy their sound. ( 802N L&R, HTM1 center, 4 805N's for the sides and rears ). A couple of days ago I auditioned a complete Meridian system with 5200 L&R, a 5200 center and 4 in-walls in a professionally built home theater. After about a 3 hour listening session, to me the sound surpassed my system even though the 5200 is physically a smaller speaker than the B&W 802N. It's hard to think I would move away from B&W but if I hit the lottery I would not hesitate to make that move. The new 7200 speakers would be at the top of my list along with an 861 processor and an 802.2 CD player. To me the sound from a total Meridian system is better than any system I have heard.

Ron
Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
I auditioned the Wilson Sasha's today, heading to the meridian dealer tomorrow. The Sasha's were awesome. better than expected.
You must have been at Paragon earlier today. I stopped by around 4 to pick up some cables and Larry said they had been having a busy day. So you liked the Sasha's better than the 800d's? Did you listen thru the Krell's or 2301's?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM

I must have just missed you. I was listening through the krells using the Meridian to play the cd's. I was there until 6. He has me 80% talked into buying a new MX150, but im considering the Denon too, look at my Mac vs Denon thread I started. SURE to start something. Wish i had met you up there.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM

visiting the meridian dealer tomorrow in royal oak. I hope he has something good to audition.