AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-22-2017, 01:33 PM

Default MCD 500, need help please!

Hi all,

I have friend who wants me to ask here and who needs help, he wants me to translate because he thinks his english is weak and he doesn't know I'm not far better!

Here it is:

"The MCD500 is blocked because the "track knob" staid in this position :back.
I unplugged the power cord; and then I plugged it in again.
The standby is activated, and then the MCD500 lights on and immediately there is a problem: the MUTE and INPUT light on and off alternatively, and the info COAX blinks constantly.

I tried to reset: 3 seconds on STOP knob; then wait for INITIAL, but when I hit on STANDBY it does nothing and I don't get the INITIAL word".

Hope I was clear in the translation.

Any help very welcomed!!!

Thanks in advance.

JM
Old 11-23-2017, 02:56 PM

Anyone who could help?
Old 11-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jean-Marc.......I don't understand what is meant by the track knob being stuck in the back position. That knob is spring loaded to return to center when released. If it doesn't return on its own, it should be easy enough to simply turn it back to center. Once that is done I would try resetting the MCD500.

1. Press and hold in the STOP< Push-button for approximately three seconds. The Front Panel Display on the Left side will indicate “INITIAL”, release your finger from STOP< Push-button. Refer to figure 35.

2. Press and hold in the STANDBY/ON Push-button for approximately five seconds. Refer to figure 6 on page 16.

3. When the STANDBY/ON LED is no longer illuminated, release the STANDBY/ON Push-button.

4. When the STANDBY/ON LED is illuminated press the STANDBY/ ON Push-button, the MCD500 will resume normal operation.

Note: This can be performed with the MCD500 On or in the Standby Mode.

Hopefully this will help solve the issues.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-24-2017, 04:18 AM

Thank you very much Dan for your help, I have forwarded your answer and my friend thanks you too.

He asks me now to post this:

""Hi Dan

The Track Knob problem is no more the issue.

The standard RESET process that you indicate was done and doesn't work.
I'll try to explain better:

First , simply when I want to power off the Mcd500 with red StandBy Knob, this one doesn't make anything.

The Mcd500 stays power ON and remains frozen.

In second, like wrote before, the leds "MUTE" and "INPUT" light on and off together alternatively, and the info "COAX" blinks constantly.

And knowing that the standard RESET procedure doesn't work, is there an other solution to unblock the Mcd500 ?
Thank you very much for your help and the time taken "
Old 11-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jean-Marc.......I am disappointed the Reset procedure did not solve the issue. Under the current condition it seems as though the MCD500 will need to see a service technician. It is quite possible the firmware has been corrupted and will need to be reinstalled.

One other thing might be tried, unplug the MCD500 from the power cord and leave it like that overnight. Press and hold the Standby button, then plug the power cord back in, then release the Standby button. This is not a documented reboot procedure but occasionally methods like this may solve a lockup issue. Beyond the suggestions I have offered, the MCD500 may need the service of an electronic technician.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-24-2017, 03:54 PM

Thank you so much Dan!!!!!

He will try

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2017, 02:22 PM

It didn't do it.....thank you very much anyway!

He will bring it/send it for repair I guess.

Cheers.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jean-Marc.......Yes, it is time to have the MCD500 serviced. I owned two MCD500's and never had any issues with either one. This is the first MCD500 failure I have heard about. I hope your friend will be back in business soon. The MCD500 is a fine CD/SACD/DAC player.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:05 PM

Hello Dan, hi all,

My friend found what was wrong and I forward his message and his thanks:

"Hi Dan
My friend has found the troubleshooting.
It was simply the track/level wire connexion between drive and Display PCB card which was partially unplugged on Display card side. This wire connexion is very very slim
Certainly with my shirt sleeve, when I have opened/removed the case cover drive, to extract CD

Now, all is OK !"
Old 12-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jean-Marc.......This is great news and a nice tip for anyone who may experience a similar issue with their MCD500. Thanks for keeping us posted. I am happy your friend's MCD500 did not need a trip to the service shop.