AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Default Considering an iPad......Need help

Now that I have an Olive 04HD music server and discovered how cool the Olive app is on my iPod Touch, I am thinking of getting an iPad, probably a black one. Ordering from the Apple Store ensures I am getting the latest OS5 operating system, and it doesn't appear their is any price advantage from purchasing it from another store. My problem is I don't know much about them except they are the latest rage, and seem to be the tablet to beat.

I was on the Apple Store site earlier. There are three WiFi iPads, the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB versions, plus three WiFi + 3G iPads in the same memory configurations. I know the WiFi version will suit my purpose at home, and most likely anywhere I carry it that has a WiFi hotspot, but I wonder if the 3G version might be worth the upgrade price.

Another thing, I always believe the more memory the better, but will I actually be using 64GB, or is the basic 16GB version sufficient. Why would I need more memory, and what would I use it for? Also, will FireFox run on OS5?

About accessories, do I need one of those iPad Smart Covers? I know they protect the screen when not in use, but I am curious if they are truly useful in other ways as shown. What about a camera connection kit, and the iPad 2 Dock?

Since I do not own an iPad 1 or 2, is there an advantage to holding out for the iPad 3? I really don't know what else could be offered that I would use that's not available with the iPad 2. Any and all comments will be welcomed.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-01-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Listener in Training

Dan,
With about 2 months until the iPad 3 rolls out, you may want to wait. That way you'll have all the options. If you don't feel the need to rush, it can't hurt.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Paul.......Thanks. I didn't know the release date for the iPad 3 was that close. I am not in any rush. My iPod Touch is controlling the Olive like a champ. Just thought a bigger screen and longer battery life would be helpful.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Dan,

I've had my iPad2 since last April, and really like it a lot. It's really the way to fly for controlling a music server, IMO. I use Apple Remote with mine to control my iTunes/Pure Music playback, and it's great having the larger screen for looking at content and making selections.

As to Wifi/3G, I bought the Verizon 3G version, and I really like having connectivity to the Net wherever I go...even if there's no WiFi. Regarding the memory, I've found that it's the amount of music and video content that consumes the vast majority of the memory capacity rather than the apps, so if you plan to load a lot of music or films on your iPad, then the 32 or 64 gig version is the way to go. If you're primarily going to use it for controlling your Olive, surfing the net, or other app-related stuff, 16 gig should be fine.

My understanding is the biggest difference between the iPad 2 and 3 will be a higher-res display, but the display on the 2 is already so good it's hard to say how much of an improvement there will be.

While the new iPad3 will be announced in two months, bear in mind it may well take more than two months to be able to get one, if the demand is comparable to the demand for the iPad 2. The iPad2 was backordered for months after it shipped, and I got mine 6 weeks after it was on the market only as I had a spot of luck in finding one at a lonely Target store in a mall undergoing "mall death".

They're great, though, mine goes with me everywhere. I read all my audio mags on it, too, FWIW.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 AM
dpod4

iPad 3 with 64gig and 3G and Zagg hi-Rez hd screen protector which controls smudging too. I love having memory (music and tv/movies) and 3G (always connected). Zinio is a favorite app for magazines. Words for Friends rocks on larger screen.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 AM

Dan..... Thanks for starting this thread ....I will be doing the same with my 06.

I was over at Dario's (dcanlas) place this past weekend and loved the ease of use and convenience of his iPad 2. I gotta get one of these for myself.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
iPad 3 with 64gig and 3G and Zagg hi-Rez hd screen protector which controls smudging too. I love having memory (music and tv/movies) and 3G (always connected). Zinio is a favorite app for magazines. Words for Friends rocks on larger screen.
You have an iPad 3?

I have the Zagg screen protector.

I use a Sena Florence mag closure case that functions the same as the smart cover in that it puts the iPad to sleep when closed. I like it a lot as it is made of beautifully leather and superbly crafted. I have the tan one pictured below. Dan, I don't like the smart cover because there is virtually no shock or dent protection for the back of the iPad, and given my experience with three iPhones, if you don't protect them, they will scratched and dented.

Sena Cases - Designer Leather Cases : iPad 2 Leather Cases Florence (Magnetic Closure) for Apple

Zinio is my favorite app for magazines, too.

I'll have to check out Words for Friends, thanks for the reco...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tan Sena Case.jpg (19.6 KB, 77 views)
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-01-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Dan... please wait for the iPad 3. With luck, it may sport a high resolution display. This alone is worth the wait. Besides, if you don't care for the upgraded feature, you can get a iPad 2 for cheaper.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Listener in Training

Dan,
Macrumors.com is probably the best place to hear what the expectations of a launch date are as we approach March. I find myself going there every time I get the itch to buy an Apple product.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Music Lover

Dan,
I have the ipad 1, 32gb, wifi/3g. I have never turned on the 3g but got it just in case i decided i needed it. I usually use it at home, airports, & hotels using Wifi. I don't require internet all the time. I have 3800 songs, 400 pictures, and i still have 10gb's available. My ipad 1 is fast and works great. I do have a cover to protect my investment, but i have nothing covering the glass and do not have one scratch or mark on it. I've had it for around a year and a half and it still appears brand new. I love it and use it quite often. I have never had a problem with it.

If it were me I'd wait for the ipad 3 just to have the latest & greatest.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect

Last edited by Rilands; 02-01-2012 at 02:07 AM.