AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wireworld Cables

Wireworld Cables A World Of Difference

Old 09-03-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Replacing Eclipse 7 interconnects with Eclipse 8s--an assessment

A couple of months ago I wrote the following to conclude an assessment of an upgraded power supply feeding a USB reclocker in my bedroom audio system: “Given all that I hear now, I think it’s safe to say that I’m done tweaking the bedroom system.” Heh.

With Wireworld’s announcement of its Series 8 cables, I was curious about whether the Eclipse 8 interconnects would better what I was already hearing with Eclipse 7s running from the bedroom-system DAC to its passive attenuator and from the latter to my solid-state amp. Wireworld’s “Series 8 Upgrades” information PDF said that I would hear “truly beautiful tone quality with greater purity and definition” as the consequence of an increase in the number of Ohno Cast Copper-7N strands (upping the cable’s gauge from 19 to 18) and a new insulation formulation dubbed “Composilex 3”. As a bonus, I’d experience “greater flexibility” placement-wise with the 8s, a welcome feature given the semi-tight confines of my equipment rack.

So I ordered two one-meter RCA-terminated Eclipse 8 IC pairs from Ivan.

Sorry I haven’t included photos here, but when the Eclipse 8s arrived I was anxious to get everything up and running, so into the system they went—oriented in accordance with the > output-to-input flow-direction symbol--as soon as I removed them from their packaging.

I discovered two things right away. First, Wireworld’s promotional announcement was spot-on with its physical description--the Eclipse 8s are noticeably more flexible than their Series 7 predecessors while retaining the quality “feel” of the company’s products I first experienced with my acquisition of Equinox 6 ICs way back when. Second, the 8s’ RCA plugs gripped the components’ input and output jacks somewhat tighter than the 7s’ plugs did, requiring just a tad more effort to push-install. Which is fine by me.

Listening comparisons are always tricky because, absent a means of being able to switch immediately from one comparison component to the other, the listener has to (1) rely on auditory memory and (2) be aware of the confirmation bias inherent in the “because it’s new, it’s better” mindset. And, impatient cuss that I am, I was in no mood to spend the time and effort required to swap Eclipse 7s and 8s into and out of the system for on-the-spot comparisons. With those caveats in mind, what follows is my assessment of the Eclipse 8 interconnects based on listening observations conducted from immediate-post-installation to the 90 or so hours they’ve “cooked” thus far on a combination of played-back ripped 16/44 or hi-rez-downloaded musical program (classical, jazz, opera, choral, “big” film scores, big band, and vocals) and Sheffield/XLO test disc burn-in tones.

The Eclipse 8s deliver on the promise of “tone quality with greater purity and definition”. That was noticeable even from a cold start and has been increasingly evident as burn-in has progressed. That’s not just my assessment. After just about eight hours of burn-in and less than 30 seconds into the track of the Turtle Creek Chorale’s rendering of Leonard Bernstein’s “Make Our Garden Grow” (16/44 Reference Recordings rip), She Who Must Be Consulted asserted, “It’s better--the voices are clearer and the words more distinct.” That’s what I heard, too, along with more pronounced layering of the individual choirs and expanded venue space.

We followed that up with Mirella Freni singing “Scuoti quella fronda di ciliegio” from the von Karajan-conducted Decca/London “Madama Butterfly” with Luciano Pavarotti and the Vienna Philharmonic (24/96 download). “Beautiful,” my wife said. “And better.” So was the separation and layering of the Vienna Phil in a deeper, more detailed, and somewhat wider soundstage as well as better definition bottom to top than rendered with Eclipse 7 IC’s in the mix, with subtle inner voicing, timbral nuance, and microdynamics more manifest.

All well and good, and on its own that would have been sufficient to warrant the Eclipse 8 upgrade. But what became increasingly evident as burn-in progressed—and whether the program was Henry Mancini conducting his “Peter Gunn” score (RCA, 16/44 rip), Sarah Vaughan intoning “But Not for Me” from her “Gershwin Live” stint with Michael Tilson Thomas (Columbia, 16/44 rip), Morton Gould traversing his “Fall River Legend” ballet (RCA, DSD128 download), or Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd riffing on “Desafinado” in “Jazz Samba” (Verve, 24/96 download)—was the sensation of the performers “working the room”…mine. It’s not that the presentation is more forward than I’ve experienced with the Eclipse 7s (it isn’t), but rather that the space occupied by soloists or ensemble is “airier” and—how to put it?--integrated more closely with that of my listening room. I’d gotten very close to the sensation of “being there” with the Eclipse 7s in place—but not this close.

So the Eclipse 8 interconnects are keepers. (Happily, the still-very-estimable 7s have found a new home—one pair replacing Equinox 6s in the home-office system and the other pair doing the same in the living-dining room.)

“So, Jim, since you’re so happy with your new interconnects, are you done tweaking the bedroom system?”

Uh, no. The current speaker cables are Blue Jeans/Belden. Given my experience with the interconnects, I’ve decided to replace them—with Eclipse 8s I’ve just ordered from Ivan.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.

Last edited by jimtranr; 09-03-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:56 PM

That's good to hear, I've got Eclipse 7s now connecting my C2300, MEN220 and amp. Just picked up a pair of Eclipse 8s to replace the Equinox 7s that I'm using to connect my DAC. I'm sure you'll hear a great improvement on the speaker cables too! I've since replaced all my BJC ICs, both analog and digital.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:09 PM

Nice review, I have 7 series stuff in my downstairs system , I'm definitely considering the 8 series for my new stuff. Speakers, IC and power cord possibly. Looking forward to the speaker cable outcome as I'm currently running cables temporarily during break in comparable to the ones your using now.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 09-10-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpaf76 View Post
Looking forward to the speaker cable outcome as I'm currently running cables temporarily during break in comparable to the ones your using now.
UPS says the speaker cables will arrive here tomorrow. I'll give them about a week of playing time to reach 100 hours (I don't do 24/7 burn-ins anymore) and expect to post my impressions after that. Since the current cables are Blue Jeans/Belden, and given the differences in cable topology, I'm not sure that the comparison would be equivalent to that between Eclipse 7s and 8s, but I'm looking forward to hearing what a complete Wireworld loom from the AC outlet (upgraded-connector Electra 7) through the speakers (Eclipse 8, with intervening Silver Starlight USB and Eclipse 8 ICs) will present to my ears.

Despite the esthetic havoc I've wreaked in the bedroom to get its audio system to where it is, my shake-her-head, no-"cloud"-on-the-ceiling spouse is on board with the arrival of the Eclipse 8 SCs--to the point where she actually chipped in more than a little bit from her own piggy bank for their purchase after hearing what the 8 ICs did better than the 7s. Am I lucky or what?

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:59 PM

You are a lucky man indeed! Enjoy
Old 09-11-2018, 08:53 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Rather on the same subject... picked up a new amplifier this year, conrad-johnson's new ART 150. Really happy with the new amp and wanted to try some new cables from the c-j Gat preamp to the Art 150.

Have had good luck and sound with Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7's and not sure about the upgrade making much difference. In a moment of audiophile euphoria I gave a certain Ivan an order for the new Gold Eclipse 8 interconnects. "They're in another Zip code" the always helpful Ivan told me.

And then the wait while they were built at WW; with a full case of buyers remorse. What if they are really not much better? All that $$$.

Well they arrived this week and to begin, they weren't a lot different. A bit better bass and transients, but the highs were ragged in spots. Oh my, what did I do.

A couple of hours later however, what a difference. The highs were smooth as silk, lows much better again and transients way better. What's really amazing is the increase in imager depth and width. There's sound all over the place now. Yes, terrific. Ivan says I've got another 90 hours and improvements will be coming through the entire time. Can't wait.

More to come as they fully break in.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 09-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
A couple of hours later however, what a difference. The highs were smooth as silk, lows much better again and transients way better. What's really amazing is the increase in imager depth and width. There's sound all over the place now. Yes, terrific. Ivan says I've got another 90 hours and improvements will be coming through the entire time. Can't wait.
You'll be happy when you get there. Based on my experience with the Eclipse 8 ICs, that "certain Ivan" is spot on. With a little more than 100 hours under their playback belts, they really "sing" with all the attributes you've indicated for the Silvers, so expect "even better".

UPS delayed the delivery of my Eclipse 8 speaker cables by one day, so I won't see/hear them until this afternoon. So, in a sense like you, I can't wait.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:30 PM

Jim...Thanks for the review and write up. I also realized significant improvements in sound quality as I replaced my various cables with Wireworld products.

Can't wait to read what you think about the speaker cable upgrade!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Jim...Thanks for the review and write up. I also realized significant improvements in sound quality as I replaced my various cables with Wireworld products.

Can't wait to read what you think about the speaker cable upgrade!
The Eclipse 8 speaker cable arrived about an hour ago and is feeding Lenny B.'s reading of Bela Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra to my Studio 20s as I write this. I'll separate-thread my impressions after it's cooked for a while, but even "cold" it's already made a positive impression.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:52 PM

I would like to buy a digital XLR Platinum Starlight PSA1.0 for connecting my Bryston BDP-2 and Meitner MA1-v2 DAC. I am not sure if I should buy a new 8 version or used 7 cable for about half the new price.
According to the info on the WW website states about the difference between 7 and 8 version: "Greater soundstage separation, detail resolution and bass impact".
How substantial is the difference in SQ of the PSA1.0 digital XLR between the old 7 and new 8 version?
Your comments appreciated.
Regards, Gerard