AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-16-2017, 01:43 AM

Default Dennis has always been a businessman...

Money talks and BS walks. Contact him, tell him want you want and tell him to name you a price. You might get away with a little negotiation, but don't get too pushy. Once you settle on a price, pay him promptly. He will then build you what you've agreed upon. Best I recall, no Inspire build has run more than $3k, and it might be significantly less.

You want something with real balls? See if he might do a parallel single ended KT-150....
Old 12-16-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Money talks and BS walks. Contact him, tell him want you want and tell him to name you a price. You might get away with a little negotiation, but don't get too pushy. Once you settle on a price, pay him promptly. He will then build you what you've agreed upon. Best I recall, no Inspire build has run more than $3k, and it might be significantly less.

You want something with real balls? See if he might do a parallel single ended KT-150....
Yeah, I had a very brief discussion over eBay messages with DH. I suspect I'd need a pair of them as mono blocks vs one PSE KT150 unit. On the other hand, I'm not prepared to commit 3k to something I've never heard, and it's a one-off, that I have no clue how I'd get serviced/fixed later if it's so hard to reach the maker. In that range, there are other boutique custom built mono blocks out there that fit the need so I'm doing my best to ask all questions up front, not after, like one guy did and then returned his amp. Trying to avoid that scenario if possible. Meanwhile, the V12R with new Mundorf Silver-Gold caps is killing it right now so I'm a bit reserved at the moment to replace it I guess. When the heat of summer comes, I may get more motivated again...who knows. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:31 PM

I own a PSE (among other amps) that puts out a solid 15-25 wpc depending on choice of output tubes. This is into just about any reasonable impedance.

If a single PSE is insufficient, you may want to rethink this path. Monoblock PSE’s would only give you another 3dB, and it could be that single-ended tubes won’t meet your needs. While the PSE offers a big increase in power and control over the single tube model, I’m not sure that doubling the number of output tubes will allow you to retain the best single-ended tube qualities.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
I own a PSE (among other amps) that puts out a solid 15-25 wpc depending on choice of output tubes. This is into just about any reasonable impedance.

If a single PSE is insufficient, you may want to rethink this path. Monoblock PSE’s would only give you another 3dB, and it could be that single-ended tubes won’t meet your needs. While the PSE offers a big increase in power and control over the single tube model, I’m not sure that doubling the number of output tubes will allow you to retain the best single-ended tube qualities.
Ok. Good to know. Thanks for that tip. Perhaps that's why he wanted me to try one amp. I've seen plenty of posts in indicating 90db was on edge and 93db+ speakers worked well. Is there any way to identify (physically/externally) which ones are the older 15-25w vs. the newer 7w versions noted her previously?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Ok. Good to know. Thanks for that tip. Perhaps that's why he wanted me to try one amp. I've seen plenty of posts in indicating 90db was on edge and 93db+ speakers worked well. Is there any way to identify (physically/externally) which ones are the older 15-25w vs. the newer 7w versions noted her previously?

There is a PSE(P) on us audio mart right now for $1999 likely identical to Rosco's (and mine). Last I asked DH had only made about a dozen of these, mainly special order. Phenomenal amp and a good price. These are Parallel Single Ended (pentode) wired.

Have you looked at the 25W/ 6v6 Inspire monoblocks on Moon Audio? Now if DH would upfit these to kt150s, 4 per channel. WOW?
Old 12-17-2017, 02:46 PM

BearCityUSA, thanks. Sort of concluded today that I'm probably "out" on the lower power stuff for my larger system - being stubborn with keeping my speakers. I have peeked at the dragons at Moon, and the one on USAM. Real Nice. Originally bought my preamp through Moon and enjoyed dealing with them. I did some re-testing this morning with my current Cary SA-200.2 SS amp and switching back/forth with my big Cary V12R tube amp flipping between Triode and Ultralinear mode. Now realizing once again how my larger 90db speakers at 4ohm are probably not going to work as well with a lower power amp(s) no matter how much I'd like to try one. With my V12R at 50w triode, they sound real nice and lush, sounds waaaay out there... At 100wpc ultralinear a bit more dynamic, definitely faster, and yet still tubey sounding, not as lush as triode mode of course. And, then of with the larger Cary tubey sounding SS amp at 250wpc/8ohm and 320wpc at 4ohm in my case, the real dynamics and added fullness really comes out, losing tube lushness (still smooth though) yet retaining a huge sound stage. Reminds me why I'll keep the 200.2 SS until I find the right sounding tube mono blocks before parting with either V12R or SA-200.2 amps. I've built and tested a few but I'm just not a horn speaker guy, have many friends with them... just not my thing or that sound, more in to electrostat type hybrids... probably stuck between higher power tube amps, or select SS amps, always with a good tube preamp. I have been pushing on Cary Audio the past two years to develop and resurrect an improved classic pair of reasonably priced 100wpc EL34/KT120 mono blocks. I guess it's sort of in the works later next year. I might just go for a second hand DH EL84 amp for my den with my smaller Klipsch horns just to try one for fun. Thanks for your help and input.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:58 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Since this thread is so popular with over 4200 posts; I wanted everyone to know that we have a Smoking Deal right now on Dennis Had gear in our Marketplace.

You will just need to be a Subscriber to view/access it:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-17-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Since this thread is so popular with over 4200 posts; I wanted everyone to know that we have a Smoking Deal right now on Dennis Had gear in our Marketplace.

You will just need to be a Subscriber to view/access it:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php
Guess the thread starter won't be viewing it.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:22 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
Guess the thread starter won't be viewing it.
That is completely up to you. I do wish the site ran on just love, but it doesn’t.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Hello. Just introducing myself as a Dennis Had Inspire and legacy Cary fan. Most recent acquisition was a 2a3 SET and will be trying Wr2a3s in place of Sovteks, soon. Can't say I read through all 424 pages, but what I read through was interesting.