Default Computing a Universe Simulation

Serge, I’m pretty confident you are going to like this

https://youtu.be/0GLgZvTCbaA
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Serge, I’m pretty confident you are going to like this

https://youtu.be/0GLgZvTCbaA
I did like it, thanks for sharing Jacques. "Physics seems to be telling us that it’s possible to simulate the entire universe on a computer smaller than the universe."

Not that I possess the knowledge to even remotely being able to agree or disagree with such calculations but intuitively I have always thought/felt that computational power, physical size, speed or anything else that we know and would think as a limitation today, would ever be an obstacle if our universe really is a simulation.

Last edited by PHC1; 09-06-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:00 AM

https://youtu.be/HA5YuwvJkpQ
Old 09-06-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Great video and a fascinating topic. We are however using the argument of achieving technological level of “simulating conscious beings” as being the proof of whether we ourselves may be living in a simulation. I feel without fully understanding what exactly “consciousness” even is, we can not make these assumptions.

At the very fundamental level of our existence, we are a quantum computer. Electrical impulses in our brains and bodies is what creates our reality to begin with. What exactly are memories? Can they be implanted or manipulated?

Why do experiments show that on a subconscious level we seem to make decisions that are slightly faster/ahead of the concious level? Who or what is in control really?

As such, I see our quantum computer brain as a “highly likely” system to be manipulated/controlled/programmed by a force that can either be an external consciousness or a simulation that we would perceive as our consciousness.

On the subatomic level, things get way too strange and we are made up exactly of that quantum strangeness

Personally I think that barring an unexpected confession from the “creator” we will never be able to resolve this question. It is about as likely as our own simulated/virtual reality computer entities being able to resolve their way out of the hardware and software dimension we have created them on and step out into the light of our own dimension of existence....
Old 09-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Another thought...

Elon Musk is saying the odds are 1 in Billions that we are living in Base Reality and that this is a simulated reality.

What are the odds of one college dropout guy being successful at creating ZIP2, PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, Neralink.... statistically 8 out of 10 businesses fail. Not for Elon Musk, he has turned all of the above into billions each. There are 7,800,000,000 people in this world +/- and only 1 Elon Musk. I think the guy not only knows what he is talking about, I think he is able to manipulate the matrix or travel in time....
Old 09-06-2020, 12:22 PM

Default Computing a Universe Simulation

The notion that the brain is some kind of quantum computer is pretty much debunked by Max Tegmark (The importance of quantum decoherence in brain processes)... the brain is just too hot for quantum processes to take place. Sir Roger Penrose tends to disagree and keeps reworking his ideas on quantum consciousness. Penrose is one of the greatest minds of our times so it will be interesting to see who prevails.

One thing I found odd in the Cool Worlds video is the concept of simulating consciousness...wouldn’t that in effect be the same as creating artificial consciousness.

Last edited by JemHadar; 09-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
The notion that the brain is some kind of quantum computer is pretty much debunked by Max Tegmark (The importance of quantum decoherence in brain processes)... the brain is just too hot for quantum processes to take place. Sir Roger Penrose tends to disagree and keeps reworking his ideas on quantum consciousness. Penrose is one of the greatest minds of our times so it will be interesting to see who prevails.

One thing I found odd in the Cool Worlds video is the concept of simulating consciousness...wouldn’t that in effect be the same as creating artificial consciousness.
What is artificial consciousness? (Not to be confused with Artificial Intelligence) Vs what, "organic" or "real" consciousness? Are we not a product of programming ourselves? Does the reality, be it real or perceived not shape us from the time we are born to the time we pass? It is all we know. Why is Musk working on Neuralink? Why create the bridge between the organic brain and AI? Or does he know something we don't?

So far the AI experiments have often shown scientists some rather unexpected results sometimes leading to termination of experimentation...

Just recently.... "An artificial intelligence system being developed at Facebook has created its own language. It developed a system of code words to make communication more efficient. Researchers shut the system down when they realized the AI was no longer using English."

Seems we have much to learn yet... One would think Intelligence would follow the preprogrammed course of action while improving efficiency NOT inventing its own language? Is that intelligence or a hint that there is a way to tap into the quantum consciousness?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:52 PM

“Maintaining quantum effects in the warm, wet brain should be impossible”

Great article https://www.newscientist.com/article...lity-to-think/
Old 09-06-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
“Maintaining quantum effects in the warm, wet brain should be impossible”

Great article https://www.newscientist.com/article...lity-to-think/

Thx for posting the link
Old 09-06-2020, 02:27 PM

Jacques, you have probably seen this? I did find it fascinating. It is a bit off topic or perhaps not as much as we think..

This equation will change how you see the world (the logistic map) https://youtu.be/ovJcsL7vyrk
Closed Thread