AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

TT,

I agree and was not picking on the Maxx, it is clearly a great speaker. And yes, it depends on, and I believe was designed for, a larger space to develop it's total performance capability. In my 19x13x8 living room, for instance, I believe it would be difficult to perceive a huge upgrade in the sound from the Sashas. That's really a complement to both speakers and their designers. My point was that when I bought the Sashas last year I listened carefully to both and was pleasantly surprised how good the Sashas sounded in comparison to the Maxx's. That was not true by a clear margin of my WP7s. And, In my space, also our living room, the Maxx would be unattractively too dominate.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 04-19-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu
Having had Sophias (passed on WP6s for virtually same price due to "musicality issues" ie very clinical), WP7s and Sashas and listened to all (along with WP8s) at length, I think it is fair to say that the character change from WP6 to WP7 was fairly large (7s warmer, less clinical and more cohesive), WP7 to WP8 slight (I actually preferred the WP7). But the change to Sasha from WP8 was a sea change. Just a flat out better speaker in all respects--more transparent,musical,deeper and better low end, treble less harsh but equally revealing. A great all around speaker that punches way above its weight. I prefer Sasha to all WPs and Maxx prior.
If the sound difference between the WP8 and the Sasha is a sea change, it is very sad for me that I did not hear the Sasha in good conditions before buying the WP8. Because, where I listened to the Sasha, not only that the sound was rather poor, but the dealer told me that the difference between the Sasha and the WP8 was minimal.
Anyway, I'm not into neutrality and I prefer warmer speakers so if the 8 is warmer than the Sasha, I'm pleased with that.
Moreover, the treble of the WP8 never sounded harsh or aggressive to me. Actually, it does not go as far as the EB1i treble, which could sound a bit sharp at times.
But for sure, I will have to find a dealer which can demo the Sasha in good conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

"but the dealer told me that the difference between the Sasha and the WP8 was minimal. "

It is beyond amazing to me that a dealer would give you that advise. It's contrary to everything I know to be published and the experience of anyone I know of who has listened to both the Sasha and the WP8. On the other hand I do agree the difference between the WP8 and 7 is small and more importantly the WP8 is a fine speaker to be enjoyed with great satisfaction.

Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
But does the Sasha have the bass that w/p do?
OK I'm an idiot. For some reason I was getting Sasha and Sophia mixed up.

Unless I can find Sashas on the used market I doubt I could afford them new.

I was going to try and keep it around 8-10K on the used market. I know that there are a couple dealers that will get the rectified W/P in that caught my eye. I know they run more but would consider it. I just gotta listen is the biggest thing. I'm really happy with my system so far but know the speakers could be improved.
2 Channel- BAT VK31, VTL Deluxe 300 fully modded, Esoteric DV50, Carver Amazing Silvers, Music Hall 2.2LE turntable (for now), Dynavector phono pre, RGPC 600S, Squeezebox Touch with Arcam RDac, MIT Shotgun S3 SC, Nordost IC's, PS Audio and Signal Cable PC's.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 PM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmar01 View Post
OK I'm an idiot. For some reason I was getting Sasha and Sophia mixed up.

Unless I can find Sashas on the used market I doubt I could afford them new.

I was going to try and keep it around 8-10K on the used market. I know that there are a couple dealers that will get the rectified W/P in that caught my eye. I know they run more but would consider it. I just gotta listen is the biggest thing. I'm really happy with my system so far but know the speakers could be improved.
Ah... okay. Just a little model mix up. Makes sense now. So the question is does the Sophia have the Bass capability of the WP. I think so but hard to say as they are differently configured speakers. Two smaller woofers vs one a bit larger. You'd want to listen to music you know and like through both, back to back if possible. Overall, I have to give the Sophia the nod although others may prefer the WP. I believe the Sophia to be a more modern design with higher quality and better integrated drivers... a personal opinion.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I prefer Sasha to all prior WPs and Maxx. I don't think many will argue that Sasha is the best of the WP series. Perhaps less will agree that Sasha is a better speaker than all prior Maxx models. Of course, I am not comparing to Maxx 3 the tonality of which is very similar to Sasha. But, other than Maxx's depth and slam in the low end and a higher (not broader) soundstage, I believe the Sasha exceeds the Max 1 and 2 in all other respects. So much so, that when I was offered a used Maxx 2 in mint condition from my dealer for the same price as the new Sashas, I chose the Sashas without hesitation. The midrange, high end, cohesion and musicality of the Sasha is exceeded only by Sasha's current bigger brethren. Just my opinion. I could certainly understand anyone calling me out on this.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Model Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
If the sound difference between the WP8 and the Sasha is a sea change, it is very sad for me that I did not hear the Sasha in good conditions before buying the WP8. Because, where I listened to the Sasha, not only that the sound was rather poor, but the dealer told me that the difference between the Sasha and the WP8 was minimal.
Anyway, I'm not into neutrality and I prefer warmer speakers so if the 8 is warmer than the Sasha, I'm pleased with that.
Moreover, the treble of the WP8 never sounded harsh or aggressive to me. Actually, it does not go as far as the EB1i treble, which could sound a bit sharp at times.
But for sure, I will have to find a dealer which can demo the Sasha in good conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
C220MC275 I've listened to Sasha's several times at different dealer's and the sound was consistantly outstanding. That being said, I'm interested in comparing Sasha's to WP8s to hear with my own ears if there is a real "sea change" difference. A dealer told me the major differences between WP8s and Sasha's were in the mid-range and intergration of the drivers. The Sasha's are said to be more coherent. This hobby is very interesting and many times the differences between current and older models are exaggerated. For me it's more about what you like and how much you can comfortably spend. If WP8s provide 90-95% of Sasha's, at half the cost, I submit that's a great deal. Enjoy your WP8s!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I prefer Sasha to all prior WPs and Maxx. I don't think many will argue that Sasha is the best of the WP series. Perhaps less will agree that Sasha is a better speaker than all prior Maxx models. Of course, I am not comparing to Maxx 3 the tonality of which is very similar to Sasha. But, other than Maxx's depth and slam in the low end and a higher (not broader) soundstage, I believe the Sasha exceeds the Max 1 and 2 in all other respects. So much so, that when I was offered a used Maxx 2 in mint condition from my dealer for the same price as the new Sashas, I chose the Sashas without hesitation. The midrange, high end, cohesion and musicality of the Sasha is exceeded only by Sasha's current bigger brethren. Just my opinion. I could certainly understand anyone calling me out on this.

agreed - Sasha is better than a MAXX2 in every way - except total output capability and slam. Actually, in many ways, it may be a better speaker than MAXX3, as it is a simpler design with much less diffraction for superior focusing - of course, it still will not have the slam and output of a MAXX3, but for many critical listeners, it may be better in many other ways.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 PM

I removed the wheels from my Sophia 3 tonight, after finding the perfect placement for them. I know I should wait for the dealer to perform WASP procedure, but I am ver happy now. Bass extension seems a but deeper now with the speakers on spikes.

I listened to Sophia 3 and Sasha for the past two years or so. At my dealer, it's practically near field listening, and the Sasha seemed boomy in the bass to me. I did hear them a little bit in a big room at a show last year, but they were playing pop music - not my cup of tea

I am thrilled with Sophia 3 for now....waiting to see what the eventual Sasha series two will be like, before I trade up. I may decide to stick with Sophia for a while longer still....and upgrade my electronics...
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
agreed - Sasha is better than a MAXX2 in every way - except total output capability and slam. Actually, in many ways, it may be a better speaker than MAXX3, as it is a simpler design with much less diffraction for superior focusing - of course, it still will not have the slam and output of a MAXX3, but for many critical listeners, it may be better in many other ways.
It is axiomatic that all other things being equal, the simpler the design the better the sound. However, that is rarely the case. For example, I have heard that the Maxx2's bass response is unrivaled among speakers. Sasha cannot come close to a Maxx2 interms of bass or dynamics. And it is no slouch in terms of midrange and treble from all that I have read. So I think you have to be careful not to compare apples with oranges and stick to the more meaningful comparison of the W/P series to the Sasha, IMHO.