AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 12-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Oh ok, I think I have a better picture. I thought they somehow shoe-horned a PR larger than 8" up top, but now I realize I mis-read or mis-interpreted, hehe. I would have loved to have two 8" woofers and one PR, as I really crank up the bass for my music! Oh well, it would have been out of my price range at the time. Yea those grills are pretty much an interference fit, as they will not come off! I managed to take mine off but I had to drive a tiny nail into the corner of the grill, which then allowed me to get the necessary leverage to pop out 1 corner, then weasel the rest out.

Anyways, I'm definite jealous!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Oh ok, I think I have a better picture. I thought they somehow shoe-horned a PR larger than 8" up top, but now I realize I mis-read or mis-interpreted, hehe. I would have loved to have two 8" woofers and one PR, as I really crank up the bass for my music! Oh well, it would have been out of my price range at the time. Yea those grills are pretty much an interference fit, as they will not come off! I managed to take mine off but I had to drive a tiny nail into the corner of the grill, which then allowed me to get the necessary leverage to pop out 1 corner, then weasel the rest out.

Anyways, I'm definite jealous!
I've heard the version you have and love them...you are doing just fine! You can always upgrade in the future and add the Foundations!

Thanks for the warning on the grills; that's something new in my >11 years owning Legacy's before. On my AERIS this would come off with a bit of care but these are not getting touched !
Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
I've heard the version you have and love them...you are doing just fine! You can always upgrade in the future and add the Foundations!

Thanks for the warning on the grills; that's something new in my >11 years owning Legacy's before. On my AERIS this would come off with a bit of care but these are not getting touched !
To satisfy the need/want for more bass (and take on another project I don't have time for, LOL), instead of adding in a subwoofer, I'm hoping to have a working prototype of my "copycat-calibre" by late summer 2019. I'm no speaker engineer like Bill, but I have enough background and know just enough to be dangerous to setup something really good, along with the help of others, mainly for the design of the crossover. I've already tested some of the best 10" midbasses I could get my hands on, and some top AMT's, as well as catalogue'ing lots of measurement data. Bass section will consist of four 10" subwoofers and four 10" passive radiators, in each enclosure(!). If it's one thing that metal needs, it's kick-you-in-your-chest thump when the double bass drums are blasted on! Only the bottom face of the speaker will not have a sound radiating surface, LOL. Of course it's not something that is gonna have a lustrous finish like the Legacy offerings, but I expect monstrous performance in a package just slightly larger than the Calibre cabinet (about 25% or so). I anticipate >120lbs per cabinet, lol.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
To satisfy the need/want for more bass (and take on another project I don't have time for, LOL), instead of adding in a subwoofer, I'm hoping to have a working prototype of my "copycat-calibre" by late summer 2019. I'm no speaker engineer like Bill, but I have enough background and know just enough to be dangerous to setup something really good, along with the help of others, mainly for the design of the crossover. I've already tested some of the best 10" midbasses I could get my hands on, and some top AMT's, as well as catalogue'ing lots of measurement data. Bass section will consist of four 10" subwoofers and four 10" passive radiators, in each enclosure(!). If it's one thing that metal needs, it's kick-you-in-your-chest thump when the double bass drums are blasted on! Only the bottom face of the speaker will not have a sound radiating surface, LOL. Of course it's not something that is gonna have a lustrous finish like the Legacy offerings, but I expect monstrous performance in a package just slightly larger than the Calibre cabinet (about 25% or so). I anticipate >120lbs per cabinet, lol.
Wow....I'll bring the Metallica, Queensryche and other butt-kicking material !

Would love to see pics of the design for this and the project build as it unfolds. It will be one hell of a monitor with an attitude! Happy Holidays!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 AM

I was just listening to this track on Youtube, and I can only imagine how awesome it would sound on SCAudiophile's Legacy system at full tilt!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIf5pVFd2oE
Old 01-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I was just listening to this track on Youtube, and I can only imagine how awesome it would sound on SCAudiophile's Legacy system at full tilt!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIf5pVFd2oE
That drummer is very talented....that would definitely rock the house!

I cannot say I ever play any death-metal like the video but the system has been kickin' with the sounds of SOLARIS "Nostradamus Book of Prophecies", Neal Pert and Rush, Queensryche, Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree thrown in and let me just say it definitely "gets it done" when it comes to hard hitting source material!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:54 PM

So while I was experimenting with placement of my Calibres, I did notice that I like the added clarity on the top end while standing, as opposed to sitting, due to the slightly sloping front baffle. While on my couch, the front midbass speakers are roughly at ear-level which is great, but due to the limited vertical dispersion of the 1"x4" AMT tweeter, I did find that I'd rather have them angled down a little bit. I'd rather not lower the whole speaker itself since that would look rather weird, lol. But then, I'm not sure how to tackle the angle issue altogether. I know very basic woodworking, so I don't think I'd be able to create an angled bottom support. I can do metal fabrication and welding, but I'd rather check to see if I can buy a pre-made solution.

Anyone have a good link to perhaps angled isolation pads that would hold up to 50lb speakers?
Old 03-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So while I was experimenting with placement of my Calibres, I did notice that I like the added clarity on the top end while standing, as opposed to sitting, due to the slightly sloping front baffle. While on my couch, the front midbass speakers are roughly at ear-level which is great, but due to the limited vertical dispersion of the 1"x4" AMT tweeter, I did find that I'd rather have them angled down a little bit. I'd rather not lower the whole speaker itself since that would look rather weird, lol. But then, I'm not sure how to tackle the angle issue altogether. I know very basic woodworking, so I don't think I'd be able to create an angled bottom support. I can do metal fabrication and welding, but I'd rather check to see if I can buy a pre-made solution.

Anyone have a good link to perhaps angled isolation pads that would hold up to 50lb speakers?
I am using these for non-angled isolation at Bill D's suggestion. I also have 4 pair of EdenSound Terracone footers with EAR Isodamp pads further applied which work well but the latter won't give you angled forward positioning per say and the former only will if you use 2 stacked in the back and 1 in the front...

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbo...s%2C140&sr=8-7

You could also look at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Acous...s%2C145&sr=8-8
Old 04-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Listening to some black/death metal Behemoth tonight mega-f'ing loud!

Behemoth - No sympathy for fools / Ada cover
Old 04-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Quote:
Listening to some black/death metal Behemoth tonight mega-f'ing loud!

Behemoth - No sympathy for fools / Ada cover

I’d say so