AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Manley Labs

Manley Labs Professional High-Fi Audio Gear

Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 AM

Another shot via Manley's fb page .......and apparently the mono blocks are 500 watts

Jerome, The Wave was their previous DAC .....I think (and hope lol) the new DAC goes by the name of The Turbot. It was apparently previewed quietly last year at CES but that looks like a full production version on that rack....here's hoping

or maybe if I re-read the original blurb, it's actually called the Manley Heart Monitor Controller DAC/Pre ......hmm, let's keep it fishy Manley

Last edited by magoo; 01-11-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post

Another shot via Manley's fb page .......and apparently the mono blocks are 500 watts

Jerome, The Wave was their previous DAC .....I think (and hope lol) the new DAC goes by the name of The Turbot. It was apparently previewed quietly last year at CES but that looks like a full production version on that rack....here's hoping

or maybe if I re-read the original blurb, it's actually called the Manley Heart Monitor Controller DAC/Pre ......hmm, let's keep it fishy Manley
Thanks magoo ! I stand corrected.
Their web site is not very clear imho.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Thanks magoo ! I stand corrected.
Their web site is not very clear imho.
Agreed, it's not the greatest is it! Although as we seem to have a DAC/Pre on it's second debut & with 2 possible names lol, the PR dept. have a bit of work needed too
Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 PM

I think this is a preamp with integrated DAC which goes under the name "Heart Monitor". I agree it is better with fish names :-). The Turbot I think, or guess, is a standalone DAC, not ready yet. Only guessing...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
The Wave Dac specs look awesome : Manley WAVE DAC Tube Preamplifer Combo

Unfortunately, I find the look of it not attractive to my eyes. But since I am a sound lover first....

Georges, the balanced outputs and inputs would make this probably the best match with the fully balanced Snappers. If you can deal with this look.
You would just need a phono stage....
Or you break the bank and buy this Shindo Masseto for sale near your home.....
I'm not a big fan of the look, let's hope the new preamp/dac will look better.

Don't tempt me with the Masseto, if I can sell the E360 I could do it.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:32 PM

BTW besides finally paying the Snappers, my next purchase will be a SME V arm for my TT and an RCM. This will get me closer to vinyl heaven (though I'm still far from the Verdier)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
BTW besides finally paying the Snappers,
so you've decided to keep them.....excellent news!! As you know I came to these from an E450 & while I wouldn't say a single bad word about the Accuphase, it's a decision I have not regretted for a single moment. Congratulations
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
so you've decided to keep them.....excellent news!! As you know I came to these from an E450 & while I wouldn't say a single bad word about the Accuphase, it's a decision I have not regretted for a single moment. Congratulations
Thank you Magoo. I was surprised by their sound which way above what I heard on the e360 so I'm keeping them despite my liking for Accuphase.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Thank you Magoo. I was surprised by their sound which way above what I heard on the e360 so I'm keeping them despite my liking for Accuphase.
My pre is relatively humble (by AA standards at least) Cary SLP 03 which I picked up ex dem (i actually used the E450 as a power amp for a while), but it works just fine ....although I would also love to pair them with something like a Masseto, they give their magic with a reasonably cheap pre too! It's my humble opinion that whilst Accuphase represent some of the finest SS amps on the current market, there's just something about a well done valve amp that wins out.......and Manley have that locked down

Tubes Rule as someone once said....
Old 01-12-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo

My pre is relatively humble (by AA standards at least) Cary SLP 03 which I picked up ex dem (i actually used the E450 as a power amp for a while), but it works just fine ....although I would also love to pair them with something like a Masseto, they give their magic with a reasonably cheap pre too! It's my humble opinion that whilst Accuphase represent some of the finest SS amps on the current market, there's just something about a well done valve amp that wins out.......and Manley have that locked down

Tubes Rule as someone once said....
The Snappers play way above their price level.
They are awesome with the good tubes in.
They deliver power, drive, bloom, delicacy, tone....all in a perfect balanced way. They are highly musical ( it is really tough to find a record that sounds bad with them ) and at the same time they do not sound "colored".
They only miss a few degrees of resolution / definition to play at the same level of very high end, but honestly without comparing them in direct to very high end amps, you do not realize that. Even knowing that, when you listen to the Snappers, you do not miss these degrees of definition. You just get Pure Joy all the time.
I am missing them more than my 2301's.
My 2301's had almost everything one could ask for, including the high definition, but they were intolerant to average recordings and they were not as joyful as the Snappers.
And their bass was not "agile" and alive as the bass of the Snappers.
The price of a pair is very close to the price of a single 275. Especially on the used market. But for this price, you get to the level of the 2301's ! Not the 275.
Talk about a bargain in audio !

But I'm so glad they went to a "good home".

Georges, if one day you decide to sell them, CALL ME FIRST ! I think I will take them back.