AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-11-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
We stream movies on different platforms. Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, and HBO GO are the ones we use most often. The universal characteristic they share is poor video quality.
I could not agree more. Video quality is the number one consideration that keeps me buying physical media, even though I may not watch a particular film more than once. I figure buying a movie on 4K is about equivalent to what my wife and I would pay to see it in a theater.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
We stream movies on different platforms. Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, and HBO GO are the ones we use most often. The universal characteristic they share is poor video quality. This is across multiple Ethernet connected hardware platforms, specifically Roku Ultra and OppO BDP-95.

Sparkles, aliasing, noise, poor black levels, quantization jaggies and poor audio quality are all there in spades. Definitely less that Blu-Ray quality, always. Sometimes less than DVD quality.

If I was watching on a 50” tv I might not notice, but with an 8 foot wide screen these defects are super obvious.

So we’ll be buying physical media for those movies that benefit from it, hopefully for a long time to come.

Because streaming for us in 2018 sucks.
Unfortunately Bandwidth is very important and necessary Tom. With 235 mbps from Xfinity hardwired to Roku is pure eye candy on the 65” LG 4K OLED for me. Yes, the 4K streaming is still just a bit less overall quality than a physical 4K disc on Oppo but close enough where I feel no need to collect 4K media.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Yep - looks like we are moving toward a situation of ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ wrt services dependent on internet bandwidth.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 04-12-2018, 12:32 AM

I recently got an AppleTV - even on an ancient ADSL2+ connection which tops out at 12-14Mbps - I am getting 4K playback from Amazon Prime and Netflix and I have to say - they look spectacular.

With 4K and either HDR or Dolby Vision - the video quality is definitely better than any 1080p BluRay - and comes very very close to my UHD discs.

Audio isn't as good - Apple is only delivering 5.1 for now but Atmos is on the cards.

My TV apps (on my Sony ZD9 and LG C7) also stream the same Netflix/Amazon but on the same internet connection take a lot longer to reach UHD.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Audio isn't as good - Apple is only delivering 5.1 for now but Atmos is on the cards.
The audio is also probably not lossless.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:11 PM

I haven't gone back to physical media in a while, with 4K streaming and quality getting better every day, if you can maintain a strong connection you're good.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:53 AM

The MVP-891 3D BluRay player uses the mechanical guts and firmware design of an Oppo 93 but a different DAC and output stage... The menus and user interface of the MVP-891 is pretty much identical to that on my Oppo 93....

BTW: I hooked the region-free USB adapter from my Oppo 93 to the MVP-891 and could watch out-of-region DVD's and BluRays on the MVP-891....
Old 07-01-2018, 03:15 PM

A limited supply of OPPO UDP-205's were offered via e-mail to those who had placed a reservation for one this past spring after the announcement from OPPO Digital, USA about their intention to exit from the US market. I have exercised my option to purchase one and it is due for arrival here on July 5. The units were offered 'one per customer' at $1299.00 + shipping. The latest communication states that the last units of the 205's are coming in three waves. If folks are interested, I shall report back once it arrives and is installed in my system.

I apologize in advance that this is not a McIntosh topic, but this is the topic thread for the recent status of OPPO Digital.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Bubeck; 07-01-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Mine is on the way July 3.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 PM

Oppo just issued a new firmware for the Oppo 205 that makes the 205 a full-fledge MQA decoder! Now one can stream Tidal MQA files and have the Oppo 205 give you the full unfold.
A nice parting gift...