AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutroop View Post
Don't know how to post picture !
When you hit Reply, either using the Reply or Quote button, use the Advanced button which will give you a choice to use pictures already stored or if you are using an iPAD or i pHONE you can chose to take a photo using the camera then follow the prompts.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Here I am ! Linn Sondek circa 1987 with Trampoline 2, lingo first generation, Green street «Keel» to accommodate a Rega RB-700 with Kerry Titanium counterweight, Lyra Kleos, Cardas Golden Reference Phono cable modified with WBT AG-rca, on a TT Target filled with silicone gel, the Lingo powered with Shunyata power cable, Woodsong smoked maple plinth. Audio Research Reference Phono 2SE. Did I say that I love my TT ? Next step : Kahn Tiger paw !
Thanks calcutroop, so how did you get to the Linn as your choice of TT? Were all the upgrades already on your kit or did you add them? What the heck is a Kahn Tiger Paw? Do tell...!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM

I bought my Linn in 1987, when the cd's was «à la mode» and i always loved that piece. My first upgrade was Lingo, then trampoline and then trampoline 2. I experiences very few arm, the Rega RB-300 was the most interesting for the money (way better then the Akito) A few years ago i upgraded for a Green Street sub chassis «à la Keel» and I was very impressed. The bass is finally there. The Khan Tiger paw is a platform of aluminium and is the next logical step with a special machined brace.
So i am the proud owner for all those years.
DSC_0044.JPGDSC_0052.JPG
Old 02-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Awesome! I was most concerned about not getting to the bass. The Majik and DynaVector combo do a good job with bass but I know it can be deeper, tighter and better resolved. I'm waiting to find a good Lingo II or may breakdown to buy a new Lingo III.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:35 PM

Still unable (or bright enough) to post image but I will give another try. I must confess that I don't speak english as a first language and I learned bu myself so....
For the tiger paw, just go to : Tiger-Paw - Home
You will see....and want one !
Old 02-23-2015, 12:44 PM

Ahhh, thank you. I'll check it out.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM

... this is the LP12 with an Alphason HR-100S tone arm. The counter weight is not on the tone arm in the picture and neither is a cartridge. This is the LP12 that I mentioned earlier that I am pondering to purchase. There is a chip in the outer platter on the very lip of the outer edge. The platter should be replaced, I think. This unit has a Lingo 1. I have a Bronze Ortofon cartridge that I could use on it.
I'm just not sure what to do.
Let my LP12 go for the Alphason/LP12 or stay with mine?
I like my current LP12, which is a Valhalla and Basik LVX - Adikt. I'm thinking about passing on this Alphason/LP12 and hang on until a more upgraded one comes along.
I never heard an LP12 until I bought mine. I didn't know very much about TTs either. I did do some research and the LP12 shone through for me. I thought it looked great. I figured the upgrade thing would be great. Then mine showed up at my local audio shop and I grabbed it.
When I discovered how nice it is to operate I was pretty pleased. It's like silk.
It's pretty wild to sit across the room and look at a piece of black plastic going silently around and around on a turntable and how a delicate speck of diamond touches it and the sound that travels through that tone arm mechanism then through some wire and a few more black boxes and out into the room comes such pleasant music. Whew!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2230.jpg (95.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2226.jpg (93.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 02-23-2015, 10:07 PM

You know Longgone, what you relate about trying to make a good decision while in the middle of learning is common to me too. I really agonized about accepting certain aspects of my Linn TT or not wanting to deal with the variety of so many options, most I could not tell you what they do or how they sound. I've discovered my instincts do work some and if something does not make me feel good not to force it.

More importantly is having a local dealer with great experience and a good reputation so trusting him has been a good for me. This AA group has lots of experience and good insight so getting input like we're doing now is great! I am glad I started this thread because we and maybe others will get solid suggestions and ideas about the Linn TT. Finally, even a mistake has some recoverability because the equipment seems to hold value and will resell eventually. Someone in this group reminded me its about the journey.

Olskool
Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Still unable (or bright enough) to post image but I will give another try. I must confess that I don't speak english as a first language and I learned bu myself so....
For the tiger paw, just go to : Tiger-Paw - Home
You will see....and want one !
You have to be a "Subscriber" to post pictures directly. There is a way to host them on a different site and have them show up here, but I do not know that procedure.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
You have to be a "Subscriber" to post pictures directly. There is a way to host them on a different site and have them show up here, but I do not know that procedure.
Hello Randy, no talk to in a while. How's life in the Bat Cave?

Larry