AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 PM

Default Biwire Guaneri Evolutions?

Does anyone here bi wire their Guarneri Evolutions?

I am using a single set of Nordost Heimdall 2 with the matching jumper, but would like to try a second set if it makes a good difference.
Not a lot of consensus on this subject it seems with Sonus Faber in general. I understand the philosophy of using one really good cable vs two mediocre cables, but if one is willing to buy two good identical sets of cable, is it better to Bi Wire?

I would love to hear some feedback from those that own Guarneri Evo's and other SF owners that have split cross overs.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:37 PM
The Eagles are back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post

I am using a single set of Nordost Heimdall 2 with the matching jumper, but would like to try a second set if it makes a good difference.
Not a lot of consensus on this subject it seems with Sonus Faber in general. I understand the philosophy of using one really good cable vs two mediocre cables, but if one is willing to buy two good identical sets of cable, is it better to Bi Wire?

I would love to hear some feedback from those that own Guarneri Evo's and other SF owners that have split cross overs.
Bavarian
I don't own the Guarneri Evo's but I honestly don't think you would gain much bi-wiring them. Of course this is just my opinion and in no way am I trying to deter you from trying it

Perhaps you could borrow another set and try it for a while. If it sounds better then buy. If it doesn't then no money comes out of your pocket
Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Not in my experience. And I suspect the majority of SF users do not bi-wire.

I do use a bi-wire configuration on my Amati Futura, with Shunyata Aurora. But it makes no difference. When I replace them, I will go with single cables.

Some manufacturers do make cables specifically for bi-wiring, AudioQuest and Kimber come to mind, which use different gauge conductors based on skin effect. But I'm not too sure about that - the crossover is designed and voiced on the basis of an identical signal reaching the inputs. Maybe it could sound better, maybe not - a bit of a lottery.

I think if you wanted to experiment, at the very least you should also try the next one up the Nordost line (Frey?), which should be around the same price as 2 sets of Heimdall 2.

Last edited by Glisse; 10-09-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 PM

I bi-wire my futuras and evo's just because I had bi-wire there already. I single wire my vox, because it doesn't accept bi-wire. Can't say if there is any sonic difference or not, haven't tried!

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 PM

I own Guarneri's and have found no appreciable difference with a Bi-Wire attempt albeit a while ago.

Single wire with Jumpers here--mind you my jumpers are $1k(!)

I also use the Franco trick of Pos' wire to bottom input ,jump to top input

Reverse for Neg' wire to top input , Jump to bottom input

Good Luck

Des
Old 11-15-2014, 02:24 AM

I do Biwire using two pairs of Yter cables and there are difference between a single run versus two pairs - I personally prefers two runs. Technically you are reducing the resistance by half and reducing distortion when you biwire, however its a controversial subject and I shall leave it as that.

Give it a try for yourself and judge the difference.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post

Hi...i owned SF Guarneris (not Evolutions) and found meaningful improvement when i removed the metal links between the treble/mid and bass binding posts...and replaced them with Transparent Reference XL jumpers (i use Transp cables). I was told by my dealer and numerous other audiophiles when i was debating this...that jumpers can often be 90% to equal the effect of full bi-wire.

I also found benefit in how the jumpers were connected...speaker cables to treble and jump to bass...or the opposite. Then you can go speaker cables (one cable to treble and one to bass) and add the jumpers accordingly.

It has been a long time and i cannot remember which configuration i ended up with...but i do recall it was different each time. Hope that helps. one man's experience.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larevoj View Post
I do Biwire using two pairs of Yter cables and there are difference between a single run versus two pairs - I personally prefers two runs. Technically you are reducing the resistance by half and reducing distortion when you biwire, however its a controversial subject and I shall leave it as that.

Give it a try for yourself and judge the difference.
Yes, you are lowering resistance. But also increasing capacitance, which can have an effect on tone. It all gets very tricky, and as you said, trying variations yourself in a field where there are almost limitless permutations is the only valid approach.

Out of interest, do you feel there is any difference running the two pairs with one pair going to each terminal pair, vs connecting the two pairs to the same terminals and using jumpers?

I would like to try Yter at some time. I think there may have been a couple of Homage models (previous generation) that used Yter internally. Not sure what is in the current models - I think it is silver cable, possible from Mundorf. But now I am just guessing.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydelee21 View Post

I also found benefit in how the jumpers were connected...speaker cables to treble and jump to bass...or the opposite. Then you can go speaker cables (one cable to treble and one to bass) and add the jumpers accordingly.

It has been a long time and i cannot remember which configuration i ended up with...but i do recall it was different each time. Hope that helps. one man's experience.
Quite right, Lloyd. Des' reference above to what Franco did is the AudioQuest recommended method. Nordost advocate the opposite

SF do seems to be sensitive to this - possible because they tend to use lower order crossover designs. Reversing the phase of the drivers seems more obvious with lower order crossovers. The best phase integration is going to depend entirely on the room, speaker location, and listening position. There is no perfect phase response with multiple drivers anyway.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:00 PM

You are right as well. The biwiring approach I took was with Yter and works very well in my setup. However, its hard to tell if other cables would have positive results until you try it.

Your suggestion of running two pairs to the same terminals and as well as a jumper cable is an interesting one. I was very happy with the result after running biwiring versus a single run so your suggestion didn't came to my mind. The other point is doing so to me is a little extreme and I would be more willing to try if Yter offer jumper cables

The internal cables in GE is silver and pretty high gauge as well but not sure if its from Mundorf or other brands. I do know that the cross over components are Mundorf and Jenzen.

IMHO the Yter cables are pretty good in value and performance as well.

Enjoy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Yes, you are lowering resistance. But also increasing capacitance, which can have an effect on tone. It all gets very tricky, and as you said, trying variations yourself in a field where there are almost limitless permutations is the only valid approach.

Out of interest, do you feel there is any difference running the two pairs with one pair going to each terminal pair, vs connecting the two pairs to the same terminals and using jumpers?

I would like to try Yter at some time. I think there may have been a couple of Homage models (previous generation) that used Yter internally. Not sure what is in the current models - I think it is silver cable, possible from Mundorf. But now I am just guessing.