AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 10-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtan View Post
After 8weeks of comparison, I really like them both. Since I listen to a wide range of music genre, I think its best for me to keep both. Each processor has it own distinction of music and sound quality.
How do you have them rigged up? Are you physically swapping out cables (from source and out to amp) when you switch to and fro? Or are you utilizing HT passthru on C50? If using HT bypass, you are still adding a bit of C50 "flavor" to Foundation sound, am I wrong?
From my understanding, HT bypass is not a straight "line through." For example, on C2300, signal does go through the tube stage while on HT baypass...

Last edited by SteveK; 10-12-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamshed View Post
SteveK did you get time to compare Krell foundation with ref 5e .
If foundation is close to ARC ref 5 in 2 ch I will pull the trigger for Krell foundation .
Just waiting for you your opinion.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Please take this post with a huge "chunk" of salt, since it is JUST my opinion after limited comparison sessions.

1. KF is brand new and not broken in.
2. Ref5SE is just perfect at 900 hours.
3. Phantom III needed couple hundred hours before it settled in. Initially it was bit harsh and not as liquid.

As expected, Foundation had very similar sonic quality as Phantom III. Both very good detail and great bass control. KF sounded a bit edgy on certain recording (may be related to lack of burn in). I felt Phantom III had moderate edge on soundstage. Width was very similar, but Phantom III definitely had better depth and more holographic.

Now, Ref5SE... I felt 3d soundstage was siginificantly better than FT and edged out Phantom III. Vocals were sweet and highs had non-fatiguing shimmer. At louder volumes with more dynamic music (disco, anyone? or Def Punk), Phantom III and KF was better than ARC. Both KF and Phantom III did better with complex music passages - both delineated each instruement very well (clinical, analytical, surgical, etc.), instead of pancaking them.

So, I don't think I will be using Foundation as one solution for both HT and 2 channel. I probably will use Ref5SE for most music, and KF for more dynamic and energetic music. Phantom III will go.

My dealer did tell me, "If you want one box solution, get Krell 707. It will provide great HT and 2 channel equivalent to somewhere between Phantom III and Phantom." He didn't think much of Phantom II given its price point, and felt it was very similar to Phantom III.

I would love any feedback and differing opinions on this.

Last edited by SteveK; 10-12-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:52 PM

Thank you so so much.
That helps A LOT.
I will try to audition ARC ref 5 in my system.
Great comparison .

Old 10-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Ice Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
How do you have them rigged up? Are you physically swapping out cables (from source and out to amp) when you switch to and fro? Or are you utilizing HT passthru on C50? If using HT bypass, you are still adding a bit of C50 "flavor" to Foundation sound, am I wrong? From my understanding, HT bypass is not a straight "line through." For example, on C2300, signal does go through the tube stage while on HT baypass...
I never like the passthru design, it doesn't sound the same as non passthru set up. Even when I had c50 and av7005 combo. Manual labor required when switching cables but worth it. Good thing for me, I watch movies once a week, every Sunday.

C50 is the only flavor for stereo music for now, but I'm lurking on other gears to replace it. Only time will tell.

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamshed View Post
Thank you so so much.
That helps A LOT.
I will try to audition ARC ref 5 in my system.
Great comparison .

I am anxious as to what you hear from your comparison. Please post your thoughts.
Everyone is different. But I have a feeling you will keep MRX700 and use ARC ref5SE for 2 channel Ref5 SE is very special.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 AM

I shall.
I hope the retailer loans me his ARC ref 5.
I will contact him next week as I am working this weekend.
I am also very keen especially how ARC ref 5 is going to match up with power amp Passlabs 350.5 .

Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Has anyone compared the Foundation to the Bryston SP3?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:38 AM

That will be interesting to know.
I am also stuck at getting a new 2 ch pre or going for foundation .
I have stopped considering bryston sp3 as I wasn't happy how bryston sp26 sounded in my system.
I have recently upgraded my speakers from paradigm sig 8 to Wilson Sasha .

Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 AM

You are the second who has said the 26 is a bit of a disappointment. However, I have only heard the SP3 and it is quite good.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 AM

I had my Krell Foundation for few months and I have been enjoying it very much. I just watched the new Wolverine BluRay and the overall surround effect was just marvelous. The sound of rain splattering on the roof/outside during indoor scene was just amazing. I thought it really was raining outside for a second. It is 15 degrees here with foot of snow, so no chance of that

Surround effect on Elysium was also excellent. KF makes the movies truly immersive. It is interesting that I notice more of the "being there" factor during rather quiet scenes. Very subtle, yet it provides the sense of spaciousness and air. Scenes like walking in Central Park is amazing - sense of space with leaves rustling, birds chirping, distant car sounds, indistinct chattering, etc. Close my eyes and I am almost there.

It has been many months since I had Anthem D2V 3D in my system, but I don't recall having this much sense of "surroundness" with that unit. (I mention this to follow up on my previous post on this thread.)