AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax4736 View Post
Will post the review. Waiting for the dealer setup, happening next week. As a former Sophia 3 owner, I must say these were truly worth the upgrade.
Congrats on your new speakers.

After the WASP, hope you can share any differences in the position of the Sasha Series II verses your Sophia 3s.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 PM

After a weekend of listening, I think my biggest impression of the Sasha 2 vs the Sophia 3 is the sense of scale. It's not just the two woofers (vs one woofer in the Sophia), not thinking it's just that the speakers are a little taller. There is a sense of scale, particularly on large scale music like orchestra. Soundstaging seems wider, taller, and deeper, particularly on recordings which emphasize those dimensions.

I played one recording, a film score done in a studio in Los Angeles. There is a low vibration at times which is captured in the recording. Couldn't hear it on the Sophia 3, but it's clearly there on the Sasha. Might be the A/C unit in the studio, or something like that. I thought there was a truck idling outside my house. But I paused the recording, and the low rumble stopped. In other recordings, I can discern other sounds like pages turning, keys clicking; basically, the natural sounds in additional to music playing.

I'm curious about Wilson's next iterations of the Sophia & MAXX. I'm guessing variations of the Convergent Synergy Tweeter will find their way into those products, since we now have the Sasha, Alexia, XLF, and the center channel speaker with variations of that driver. Speaking of that driver, there is a smoothness to high treble which I like. Music with high piccolos, cymbals, etc., all sound more natural with no fatiguing. The Focal tweeter on the Sasha 1/Sophia 3 never bothered me, but could be mildly fatiguing on *certain* recordings. I'll keep trying different material, but I'm quite pleased with what I'm hearing.

As far as placement: I've not had WASP done yet, but I have the speakers somewhat further apart than I had the Sophias. They are closer to the sidewalls than before, and about the same distance from the back wall. I talked with Peter McGrath about this; in my dealer's room at the Sasha event (March 15), those Sasha 2's were in virtually the same placement I am using now. Despite the great width, I don't hear a "hole" in the center. Music is just spread out over a large area, with the center area "filled in" with instruments.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 AM

Hey man, is everything set up properly now? How is it sounding? Anyone else have their Sasha 2's yet? I'm dying to get mine!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:41 PM

My WASP is still out a bit, waiting for some other things to happen before I do that. I'd be interested to hear from other Sasha 2 owners as well...don't know if anyone else has their Sasha 2's yet.

I'm really happy so far, really like the imaging, deeper bass, and clean sounding tweeter. I threw a wrench into things by adding some Shunyata power cords and Typhon to my system; those components arrived yesterday. Things could get really interesting now.
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM

I'm interested to know what Sasha I owners think about the II, but I'll find out myself in 3 weeks or so. I hope.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 PM

I've heard the Sasha 1's plenty at my dealer. It seems the new ones have slightly cleaner bass, and definitely smoother treble. But I never heard a Mark I in my own room, so I can really only compare the Sophia 3's to the Sasha 2's...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I've heard the Sasha 1's plenty at my dealer. It seems the new ones have slightly cleaner bass, and definitely smoother treble. But I never heard a Mark I in my own room, so I can really only compare the Sophia 3's to the Sasha 2's...
This may be a difficult question to answer,but if you had the Sasha 1 having heard it many times at your dealer, how strong would your inclination be to upgrade to the Sasha 2?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:57 PM

I'd probably go to Alexia if I had the Sasha I already. I like the tweeter more than the series I. The bass and imaging seem slightly better in he series 2. I would also say the series two sounds "Alexia like". Part of that may be the increased adjustability of the head module.

I'd suspect dealers would give a better trade in if going to the Alexia, versus going from series I to II.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
I'd probably go to Alexia if I had the Sasha I already. I like the tweeter more than the series I. The bass and imaging seem slightly better in he series 2. I would also say the series two sounds "Alexia like". Part of that may be the increased adjustability of the head module.

I'd suspect dealers would give a better trade in if going to the Alexia, versus going from series I to II.
Thanks for that.
My 2 favorite Wilson's that I have heard are Sasha 1 and Duette 2.I may not have heard the Alexia's at their best,but having heard them 3 times I respect them rather than being entranced by them.
All very personal of course.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM

For me the Alexia got rid of that last bit of "that's a speaker" character the original Sasha never quite overcame for me (and that I heard in the original Sophia.)

I haven't yet heard the Sasha 2 but it am looking forward to hearing whether the drivers are a bit more coherent and lose a bit of the "that sound is coming from THAT tweeter" sound I heard from the original Sasha but not from the Alexia.