AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
You can always go with a Mac Mini and stream the files off your iMac or store them on the Mini directly.

I am in the process of upgrading my Mini, taking out the spindel drive, putting in an SSD. The SSD is only 128GB though so I'm going to stream the data off a Time Capsule over wireless. Pure Music should load the track into RAM to avoid any streaming issues before it plays. Hopefully the best of both worlds.
Do you mean a usb drive attached to the Time Capsule? I wasn't aware that one could stream from the drive in the Time Capsule. Does one have the option to use a Time Capsule as a normal drive in addition to its intended use as a backup drive?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM

I haven configured it yet, but what I read is yes. Important note, I'm not using the time capsule for backup, only as a usable drive. I have a second time capsule for backup. If you have configured time machine to use your time capsule, you may not be able to use it. I'm sure time machine mounts the drive in some way but I'm not sure if its in a user accessible fashion.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

In my home office system I stream audio from my Mac Mini to a Squeezebox Touch connected to an Arcam rLink DAC. It supports 24/96, and 24/192 with a plugin for Logitech Media Server. That's the $500 solution (SBT + rLink). In my high end system, I stream from the Mac Mini to a Naim ND5 XS. That's the $3500 solution.

I also have an Airport Express connected to the Naim, but it's limited to 16/44. However, I really only have that so my wife can Airplay from her iPad, and that's 256K AAC.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Have been using a MacMini to feed my HiFi HiRez and StdRez files for a couple of years now. Agree fully on the route of equipping the Mini with an SSD drive and accessing your files from external storage (in my system, a QNAP NAS)
I then use iTunes+Amarra for playback and Apple Remote on my iPad/iPhone for controlling the playback. Oh, i also use an M2Tech HiFace USB to electrical SPDIF for transferring the stream to my digital front end. I have tried all sorts of other connections and variations on this theme but this is my final word on computer audio playback.
All within my personal budget of course!

I also have a PC with Jriver Media Center and an ASUS Xonar Essence audio card but this doesnt come even close in either sound quality or manageability. (It does handle a couple of more file formats effortless though)

Regards //Mike